56 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2013 5:42 PM by klaus29 RSS

Goodbye Marriott Insiders!!! Jasper100!!! My Last Night on this Site!!!!

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am saying good bye to Marriott Insiders. I have asked Andy to delete me from Insiders effective immediately.  I don't believe Insiders are pleased with me since I have not been very happy with Marriott and have been negative lately. It is incredible that Marriott has removed all my contributions regarding the Paul McCartney concert..It took a lot of work for me to post these..to suggest that they are copyright infringements is ridiculous since you tube allows them to remain posted for me and many others. But Andy has decided all of a sudden that this is copyright infringement even though there are many postings on you tube of the concert by many others than myself and never considered copyright infringement. Insiders has become a joke in my mind and this is a punishment for my negative feedback lately. There are many postings by insiders on music similar to what I have posted which should also have been considered copyright material and I have never seen any one of them deleted. And if you tube does not consider it copyright infringement, I don't understand why Marriott would.

As a former Steward on Insiders and a LIfetime Platinum Member, I am totally amazed at the treatment given to me on Insiders. This will probably be deleted also since first right amendments are not afforded on this site. Andy, I am very disappointed with you and this site and will never contribute to this site again, thanks to you!!! At least you found an excuse to eliminate postings by me. I find it interesting that the first time you declare copyright infringement on posing music is when I have posted music. And you may recall, you recently removed some of my postings as duplicate when I was editing that posting. I believe this was done because those postings were negative toward Marriott!!!

Just a reminder to other Insiders..It does not pay to be negative on this site because they will find a way to get you to leave the site!!!!

Andy, please remove me ASAP on Insiders..This should make you very happy!!!! But this should not surprise you as I expect you knew this would be my reaction...If you had been consistent in removing these type items in the past, I could have accepted that. But to all of a sudden decide to declare copyright infringement concerns me and feel it was so unfair that I can not consciously remain on this site anymore.

One last request..please leave this post on Insiders as I would like other Insiders to know why I have left Insiders!!!!

NathalieF

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Goodbye Marriott Insiders!!! Jasper100!!!
    superchief1 Platinum

We will miss your honest and helpful contributions. I hope you don't get audited by the IRS.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks Superchief....I have completely lost interest in this site...It is a shame they treat a former steward and Lifetime Platinum Member like this. I have posted a lot of music in the past and never had it removed because of copyright infringement..same as many other Insiders who have posted this type material. But tonight is the last night I plan on spending here on Insiders!!!

lakersfan Platinum 20 Reviews

Posted music?  I come here for information about MARRIOTT.  If I were running the site, sorry to say that I would delete any music posted.  Besides any copyright issues, I don't think that is the purpose of the site.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Good point.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

NU,

Agree!

I really never understood having those video's from concerts on this site.  Pictures from the concerts or recommendations, yes.  Never watched "Movies" on this site!

erc Platinum

Welcome aboard - and this is addressed to all, even tho it's linked as a reply to you (it's got to go somewhere);

We might be getting a bit tough on the newly departed. My post from more than six weeks ago (below) shows that in this particular case I agreed with Marriott (and as often is the case, zukracer sums it up very well; this might have been an avoidable setback). I have gotten enormous benefit, education, and entertainment not only from posts not about Marriott, but posts not even about travel (history, honoring military personnel, and yes the performing arts).

I have a Baltic cruise coming up next year and I would be willing to watch a 20 minute video of Zamfir playing his greatest hits on the pan flute, if I could read jasper's insights on his trip. http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/73497#73497

I have learned that the best way for me to get the most out of this forum is to read what interests me and move pass anything that doesn't, knowing that it interests others who I respect (and if it didn't, it slowly goes away). This strategy has been severely tested by Marriott's antics with the deluge of baseball stories (and I love baseball) and contest hotel reviews, which, as I have written, without any forum interaction and knowledge of the poster is of less value than Trip Advisor because many were just posted ("I had a great time, staff was very nice, I would go back" etc) for the purposes of entering the contest.

If I can survive those (and I almost didn't) I can certainly absorb a performance video from a superb contributor, who after posting more than 9,000 thoughts could have probably had his contributions recognized a bit more effectively in handling a pretty straightforward situation - once again; being right is overrated, Marriott was right, but we lost a major contributor.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Well said, erc

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Erc you have nailed it.  Jasper was an energetic contributor and hold the record for most posts on Insiders by a wide margin. Like Babe Ruth, Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle we will never see his likes again.  I wish him well as does everyone else, in his new pursuits.  Insiders, to steal from John Steinbeck, is is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream.  But that dream is less now that Jasper has left.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

You're right about subjects that don't pertain to Marriott.  Profc's discussion about her favorite songs and days past started one of the most interesting discussions.

If discussions are only about Marriott, that takes the socializing from the site and that's a big part of this.  That's what Jasper was always good at.  Kudos, Jasper.

If we confined ourselves to Marriottesque subjects we'd be kinda boring.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Jasper had some fine posts...as far as the raw numbers, it had more to do with the "idea" category and some glitch. Our good friend Anadyr still stands as the most prolific poster, even with his short sabbatical.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

SORRY TO SEE YOU GO!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you'll reconsider and, whenever you're ready, rejoin us.

Thanks for all of your valuable insights!!!!!!!!

• Re: Goodbye Marriott Insiders!!! Jasper100!!! My Last Night on this Site!!!!

I also do not appreciate your (Andy) deleting my videos on the Mandarin Hotel dances..These have no copyright issues...What is your basis for deciding these were copyright issues????

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/13745

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Jasper,

We will miss you! We have been traveling a lot lately, and I haven't been able to spend much time on insiders, or contribute much due to lack of time. But I am sad to hear Of what has happened to you. I have always valued your posts, and will miss your honest observations. I wish you all the very best, and hope you will return to insiders someday. We need to hear the good and the bad, so we can all be informed travelers.

All the best,

Lakeshore

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings Jasper, We can disable your profile for you, but we’re sorry to see you go if that is your choice. Our concerns were specifically with videos of live performances, not opinions, sentiment and certainly nothing personal. Everyone has the opportunity to express their opinions and travel experiences freely and openly, both positive or negative.

I know that cell phones are everywhere and concerts are frequently taped, which as I understand the law is illegal but widely ignored.

Broadway plays throw a person out and may prosecute them if they record performances.  Venues like those Jasper attended are full of people holding their phones up for a recording, but there seems to be no enforcement of the no recording laws.

So, I guess I agree that Marriott Rewards Insiders and Marriott needed to insulate itself from legal action for copyright infringement and illegal taping, but am sorry to see Jasper go over this issue.

Perhaps a restatement of the legal implications of posting any copyrighted material on MRI would be in order?

Here's a primer:

http://concertblogger.com/2012/08/legal-issues-surrounding-recording-posting-concerts/

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Jasper - I have come to know you on MRI over the years and totally understand your point and sad to see you go. MRI does have a point in removing video/photos of concerts as this is defined as "bootleg recording" which Wikipedia gives a great explanation: Bootleg recording - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Having said that, if you have found that some but not all bootlegs on MRI were removed, then the policy on MRI is inconsistent (think IRS and Tea Party ) and you are 100% correct. It's all about applying rules consistently and fairly across all MRI postings regardless of the author.

Good luck to you.

PGM

Jasper,

Sorry to see you go, and will miss your postings!

You have a wealth of travel experience that was helpful to all of us!

Good luck and always feel free to contact those of us, that appreciated your contributions!

Enjoy the freedom--you've set the bar for the rest of us.

erc Platinum

Jasper

I was greatly disappointed to read this post. You've made terrific contributions (many, many before I joined which I went back and read).

As much as I bang heads with Marriott, I have never hammered Marriott over their 'demand-oriented' pricing, but rather over their sometimes misleading communications and tactics; now that they have revised their breakfast policy, I'm certainly not praising them for any type of customer 'benevolence' - they are responding to the market (yes, they want customers happy, but as that happiness relates to market share). My point, we should never take this entire Marriott relationship so personally. 

I ask that you take a few days breather, realize how much everyone appreciates your contributions (including Marriott, because you increase participation in the forum and that's beneficial to them), draw upon your own multi-decade corporate experience with Exxon and realize that Marriott was forced to follow copyright rules on something this big and exposed, and recognize that their response to you over leaving was sincere (remember, I birddog them when I believe they are not) and come on back into the forum sharing with us your travel experience which includes travel to over 125 countries, (at least 100 that I and many others will never get to - so your photos, videos, and insights are invaluable) and enjoy the momentum that is coming our (Insiders) way.  Best wishes. Here's hoping we have a jasper100 Comeback Tour.

ps- I'm out of the country and will not be back on line for days, so any lack of response to ongoing discussion is not an indication of lack of interest, it's just the reality of my below the Amish tech skills.

Jasper,

I'm sorry if anyone said anything to you to make you mad or hurt your feelings.  I've felt that, too, but mostly by one person.  It's a shame that it happens.

I know I say things wrongly at times lots of times, too.

I enjoyed your experiences and sharing myself.  I think a lot more people than you realize really appreciate you.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Jasper,

I too will miss all the wonderful contributions you have made to this site.  I will miss the wonderful videos and all the time you took to post them.  I will remember all the places you were responsible for making me want to go to.  I truly hope you change your mind and come back later.  Good luck, and we'll miss you!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Jasper,

I'll miss your great posts!  I truly hope you reconsider and remain on Insiders.  At any rate, happy travels!

Kyle

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Jasper

I have read your posts for a number of years and found them both informative and enjoyable.  I agree with both erc and kharada46 and hope that you reconsider your decision. 

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Jasper -- I too will miss you.   Although a fairly new MI member I've enjoyed the fellow travelers I've befriended on this site.   Your postings have been interesting & informative.   Your presence will be missed.    Remember, it's always possible to "come on home" after a while away --- think andyr.  

Now -- what are you going to do with all the extra free time you're gaining?

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Jasper,

I will miss you and your pictures.  I got some good ideas from you, one was to see the northern lights.  Thanks.  Sorry to see  you leave.  Hope that you read this.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

well this just sucks.

Jasper, if you are still reading, please hang around, the old timers and new folks all enjoy reading your posts and it would be a huge loss if you leave for good.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

We have not seen a post from Jasper in some time now, we can only hope that the desire we all have voiced will bring a reply from an AWESOME insider.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

jasper100 account has been disabled.  not a good sign of things to come.  But others have left and couldn't resist coming back.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Yeah, I can see both sides of the how that all could have played out and not going to armchair quarterback it all but I'm just being selfish.  I liked his posts and hate to think that someone would feel compelled to leave.  Perhaps all involved could find a path forward where everyone is back playing.  Perhaps this is a good one to have those involved on the MRI side to evaluate how situations could be handled differently, better or something so in the future we don't lose folks over disagreements.  I know from my experience moderating sites, the least best option is just to remove posts, especially larger ones where someone put a good bit of effort into composing.  Pull them to a back room and discuss why they were pulled maybe.  Perhaps selectively redact posts or offer as a "we can let this stay but not this" type of thing.  I have had my posts here disappear before and it really stinks when there's not as much as a note saying "I pulled your post because of X".

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Life's a balance, and, as I recall, there was a time that the balance of posts had veered quite a bit toward the ridiculous.  I also recall that Jasper, in his quest for the most posts in history, got carried away with posts that most simply found annoying.  I respect posts of all kinds, as well as the posters.  However, just as I didn't like the postings being dominated by superfluous reviews, nor did I enjoy the over-crowded mailbox full of posts with no useable info.  Sorta like junk mail..... I enjoy most posts, and really enjoy those that inform me.  Keep those coming!  Tell me something I don't know, teach me something.  Make my travels more interesting.  That's what I think

shoeman,

You "Nailed it"!  Thanks, and don't forget out "#42 posts", how did that assist travelers?

Like you say, "Teach me something that will help me save time/money, or at least "Enhance" my next trip!

Amen Shoeman, but we have a free-wheeling group here at Insiders and within the limits of propriety, we get all sides of all issues.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

So true.  thanks for reminding me! 

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

This is not directed at Jasper, and perhaps somewhat off topic.  But what I've noticed in many areas of society is that if you express any opinion, it's really hard to not end up offending someone.  That's unfortunate, since opinions are just that ... opinions, not facts.  This means they cannot be right or wrong ... they're just someone's opinion.

We have become a nation of wimps!

Really insightful, randomname.

Also, people can change their opinions, have bad days, or just not communicate what they're thinking enough.  People can have so many thoughts going on at once, for instance, and have problems bringing the right ones out after they've thought of one.  At least, I have that problem at times.

And who gets along well with everyone all the time?  Some of my relatives have hurt me worse than anyone here could.  And I've done the same, sometimes without thinking.

missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Those 42 posts drove me right off the site.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...