10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 4:46 PM by ced RSS

Unexpected Bonus Promotion - Clarification Request

jerhenz Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Unexpected Bonus promotion

The terms and conditions of the current Unexpected Bonus promotion seem to have added content that creates the need for clarification. As a plat, I have experienced first hand the difference wording in a promotion can make in your ability to reap all the rewards earned. The current promotion has the following listed in the Terms and Conditions:

• Marriott Rewards members who register for this promotion by July 31, 2013 will earn 25,000 bonus points after 15 paid nights plus after completing 15 paid nights, earn an additional 2,000 bonus points per night - up to a maximum of 45,000 bonus points for stays made between May 15 and September 2, 2013, at participating Marriott properties.
  • A ‘stay’ is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.

Question:

Does this mean that the first 15 nights are rewarded based on "nights" and there after the 2,000 bonus points based on "stays"?

I called in, and was assured by a rewards representative that I would be rewarded based on nights over the entire program regardless of what is stated and immediately defined in the Term and Conditions.

I have been hurt by this language in the past, assuming that I had completed the needed number of "nights" only to be told that consecutive nights were not counted because the program defined rewards based on "stays".

If all is well in the world and I will be, as told, rewarded on nights, even if they were at one property for the duration, why add all this extra verbage to confuse and cause skepticism. If  the answer is somehow connected to different programs running concurrent depending on layers of member status, desn't each deserve their own Terms and Conditions?

Please help me get a difinitive answer that we can all take comfort in clinging to until the end of this new program.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Unexpected Bonus Promotion - Clarification Request
    pevers Platinum 2 Reviews

Any one know why this bonus does not appear when I click on Promotion Central? When I go to the Promotion Central screen, the message shows "No new promotions"

My earnings preference is for points, not miles.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

pevers,

I'm not sure why it doesn't appear for you. Others had the same problem and called Marriott. The Customer Service rep registered these folks over the phone. Give them a call.

2puravida Platinum

What I have been told is that the offers are computer generated (as stated on the MRI "targeted"). Thanks to insight from the road warriors on this forum,

I have been calling in and asking for the offer I want. They then walk it through, which means I follow-up to confirm I have received my desired bonus.

Last month 3 certificates went into our account, following the winter promo.

ced Gold 1 Reviews

This is bogus.  I shouldn't have to keep track of this stuff- Marriott should be doing it for me.  I think Marriott's service is going downhill.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

This bonus is customized (targeted) based on your elite status and your personal usage. As a Silver Elite member this year (plan to return to Gold next year), my promotion is a free night (1-5 category) for each 2 stays (up to 2 free night certificates). While collecting counties (see post The specified item was not found.) in New Mexico and Arizona, I earned my maximum in a few days (stayed at 6 different Marriott properties over a 7 night trip). The promotion runs through September 2 and I'm already maxed out. Too bad, because I've got at least 6 more stays planned before the promo ends. Oh well.

vernons Gold 3 Reviews

I agree.  This has also hurt us in the past.  It does not seem fair that each night in consecutive night stays does not count as it's own stay.   We have actually changed hotels before just to get the correct "number" of stays.  This is really disruptive to our travels.   Definitely needs to be clarified. 

ced Gold 1 Reviews

This promotion really isn't that great... 20 nights gets you 35,000 points??? BIG DEAL.  There's a Courtyard in Michigan that gives you a 6,000 point bonus every night you stay with no limit.  There are routinely bonuses at properties for 1,000 or 2,000 a night.  This "unexpected" bonus should be called "uninspiring" bonus. For such a lousy promotion, it sure was kept under wraps.   Why not go back with the quarterly free nights program?  It's way better than this piece of junk.

Hilton HHonors is starting to look better and better.

skiadcock Platinum 4 Reviews

Not sure why you're saying the Megabonus was kept under wraps.  There's not been much change in Megabonuses over the years.

BTW - which CY, in case others stay there!

Cheers.

ced Gold 1 Reviews

There's a whole string about people who never got notification that this promotion was underway.  It never showed up in "promotion central" for me, and I never got an email that it was going on.  Apparently this happened to many others as well.

ced Gold 1 Reviews

It's the CY Detroit Pontiac/Bloomfield, and I just checked... The promotion is still going on there- 6000 points a night.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...