21 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2013 12:33 AM by anadyr RSS

Recognition

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Some things come to me about a decade after they should.  The Veteran's Administration (VA)  sent me (and possibly a lot of you too) a personalized package containing benefit information. When I read the last few pages I realized that my former ID card for the VA was bit longer valid, in that it contained both my date of birth and my SSN on the raised lettering and the printed section too.

Dreading the treatment by the bureaucrats  and the bureaucracy, I headed to the clinic, about five miles from home and was pleasantly surprised by the service and the experience.  There is a lesson to be learned and Marriott as well as other service providers might take note.

• I was welcomed entering the door, and given specific instructions on what to do next.
  • I met with a counselor who was polite, courteous, and seemed to enjoy her job, introducing herself
  • At the conclusion of the meeting she stood and thanked me for my service to the country.

So, I left feeling good, feeling that I had been served, and willing to give VA high marks for treating us as a group so well.

PS: at the Monterey Jet Center yesterday I ran into an 89 year-old former B-24 pilot, who still has a pilot's license, and flies weekly.  His son asked the folks at the concern that flies people around in these warbirds if his dad could take the helm for a time while in the air.

The answer was interesting: they said we'll arrange a flight with no passengers and then yes he can.  What a tremendous gift to a proud man and a wonderful veteran.

Here's to the greatest generation!!!

Message was edited by: Anadyr

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Monterey, California, USA
  • Re: Recognition
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Anadyr,

Congratulations!

Thanks for the information!  It so great to hear that one gets "A personal touch", from of all organizations, the government!

So simple, and yet so many places forget such recognition.

Thanks for sharing this with us, and again,"Congratulations", and "Thanks for your service to our country"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

good to hear you were treated well anadyr because you deserve it. Thank you and all the veterans out there as well as all current military serving our country. I for one do not tell our servicemen and women near enough how great it is to know there are people willing to serve our country and protect my freedom. Great job!

Thanks.  I was a three year wonder, an infantry officer, and not much of a hero at all.  Others, with whom I served deserve the highest recognition for their service.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

nonetheless, you took the initiative to serve and all who serve in whatever capacity deserve recognition for their sacrifices, theirs and their families.

Thanks Max

Ironically I was drafted and I enlisted at the same time:  taking two physicals at the same time!  One for the draft and another for what was called a "Direct Appointment," instant 2 lT, that was me.  Somehow I survived three years, for which I am proud.  I honor all those who have ever served and are serving.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

My experience with the VA over the past nearly 20 years is that it is hit and miss...much like many Insiders describe Marriott.  Maybe getting an ID card renewed is easy, but try filing a claim or getting an explanation when there's an error with a VA payment or a disability designation or decision.  It's a mess.   And the VA Hospital in Iowa City possibly hasn't gotten the memo about how Monterey treats its customers, whereas the small clinic in Ottumwa does an outstanding job.  Unfortunately because it's so small they almost always need to make the referral to be seen in Iowa City.  I give CY much higher marks than I give the VA.  That's my opinion.

I am in group 8, Husker, and have not used the clinics at all.  If there comes a time it's nice to know they are there.

category 2.

Thank you Husker for your service, then and now.  I know that you're a supporting member of Wounded Warriors, as  am I, and that you care for other veterans.

This Memorial Day, May 27th, I will visit the Dallas Ft Worth National Cemetary (one I've never visited before) to honor our fallen heroes. 

I go to the wall in DC a lot to speak with my friends, and to cry.

As do I brother.  There and Arlington are always my first two stops when I arrive in DC.  I'll be there late July again.  Only for 1 day, but I'm going to try to make time for another visit to Walter Reed (yes we still have patients there) or Bethesda.  Now that will cause you pause and take stock in what your life's worth.

Amen and I have mentioned before that a good friend works at BNH and saves lives every day, repairing the wounds and healing the sick.  I need to see him too when I am there.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Arlington is a great spot, if anyone has not been there you must visit.

My Father-In-Law that I never met is buried in the National Cemetery in Portland, Oregon.  We will again visit his grave site over Labor Day this year and such a great day it will be.  We were there Memorial Day two years ago and walked much of the National grounds, what a great experience to see all the STARS and STRIPES covering the entire grounds.  God Bless America and all our allies.

Arlington like all National Cemeteries here and across the globe are sacred places that make us pause and reflect and give honor to heroes.

When I worked a the Pentagon I often skipped lunch (there was no real time set aside for it anyway) to walk among the white markers and read the details of each stone at Arlington, row after row, name after name.  It was an experience that sticks with me today.

Unfortunately I have been to many burials of good friends there over the years.  But I need to remember them today and every day.

One very good friend with whom I served, a US Marine, is buried at the Marine cemetery in Quantico VA, another place of heroes.  His service was incredible, his humility legendary, and his smile was infectious.  You can read his life story here.

Oh the wall in DC gets me each time I even think about it let alone visit over a National Holiday.  Tears are me.

Yes , thank you for your service and all other Veteran's and active/reserve military personnel.  It's nice to hear good things about the VA and hope the word travels onward to other VA Hospitals and Clinics soon.

Thanks IAH, the Palo Alto Health Care System, of which our clinic is a part, is very good.

thor Gold 13 Reviews

I am a federal govt employee - Veterans Hospital to be exact and I'm proud to say that the VA healthcare system have definitely improved through the years and is still continuing to improve (and grow).  We are no longer the health care system that veterans are afraid to go or visit.  The old saying  "Go in the VA with all your limbs and you go out with 1-2 missing limbs" no longer apply.  More Veterans are slowly and steadily becoming more confident to use the VA healthcare system.  There are more Veterans nowadays who CHOOSE to use the VAHS and stays with us as well.  That says a lot as most veterans have other access to outside health care system.

I know this topic is not a Marriott issue, however, I am very thankful that Marriott acknowledges federal govt employees as well and gives us a good rate when using their hotels.  That helps me (and others out there) a lot.     

As an American and a VA health care system employee, I thank all of you Veterans for your loyalty and services.  Thank you, Anadyr!

Thank you for your service to us--much appreciated.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...