5 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2013 6:22 PM by jerrycoin RSS

The sun also rises

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Sorry, Ernie, I couldn't resist that one

But there are times when time and tides conspire to make for an interesting photo:  today was one of those days. A fog bank just offshore, otters wrapped in giant kelp, plenty of waves.

DSCN0097.JPG

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Carmel by the Sea, CA, USA
San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
  • Re: The sun also rises
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Got caught in one "Fog Bank" while fishing off the coast of San Diego.  Wow, it was scary!  You could see nothing, and the Captain took the boat into the wrong place.  It was really odd. 

Thanks for sharing this picture with us!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    San Diego, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Fog is a bad thing, I was coming north on the Grapevine (I-5) and the temp dropped from 80 to 50 as well hit a wall of fog--thank goodness no one was hurt or crashed because it is like hitting a wall and the natural instinct is to slam on the brakes!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Looks like June Gloom is settling in a bit early?

We were in San Diego in June, for a week, and took a day cruise to Ensenada Mexico.  Once we were out of San Diego harbor, we didn't see the coast or the sun until we pulled in to Ensenada.  Same thing on the way back.  We were staying at the Hilton San Diego Resort (business meeting, didn't get to choose the venue) in the Mission Bay area and it was cold and drizzly all week.  Walked a mile or so, to Old Town or over by the zoo and it was sunny and beautiful.  All the fog was just along the coast.  I have been to San Diego twice and it rained both times.  So much for 'it never rains in Southern California'.

Our Mediterranean climate is 90% Ocean dominated which is a good thing and a bad thing.  My meteorologist friends (and Monterey is home to hundreds of them with the Navy and with NOAA) tell me that the "marine layer," which looks like fog is merely a confluence of warm air over cold ocean water, and that it is always there--unless we have an offshore flow--again rare.

Thus the hotter it gets inland (King City in the Salinas Valley is 85 now) the more chance that the layer will build over land and we get June Gloom a lot.  Today for example her on our perch at 750 feet above sea level, it did not clear until 11:30am and based on the winds I would assume it will be overcast again around 4 pm.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

psudad,

Yes, that is what happened to me!

Not a great experience!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...