9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2013 4:13 PM by bejacob RSS

London Calling - Where to Sleep

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate
Currently Being Moderated

Where you stay can mean the difference between spending all your time traveling the Tube or being first in line at the city’s biggest sights. And with 24 Marriott hotels across seven different brands—and more on the way—you’ve got plenty of options. At the luxury end of the spectrum, the Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel gets rave reviews. Mgcandfnc calls it “special” with a “wonderful staff, ambience [and] rooms [that] are elegantly comfortable regardless of type.” He also recommends booking a dinner reservation at the hotel’s Corrigan’s Mayfair restaurant. The hotel is ideally located for both sightseeing and shopping, az85048 says, adding that the concierge lounge is “fantastic” and the staff “exemplary…I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.” For vixsyclark, attentive service made the stay for her and her young son. “The executive lounge hostess…appeared with a bag of goodies…including a child’s guide to London, jelly beans and coloring books/pens.”

If tourist attractions are at the top of your list, the London Marriott Hotel County Hall puts you in the “best location for traditional sights,” travelbuff says, including the London Eye, Big Ben, Tower of London and more. Flwanderer had a “magnificent stay” and now counts this as his “favorite” Marriott. The hotel offers a “great location, great views and great service” according to maineman, who visited during Christmas. “The staff went out of their way to ensure that our seven-year-old daughter had a personal visit from Santa. We found the true heart of London in the people who cared enough to go the extra bit for a little girl.”

Words like “wow,” “excellent,” “spectacular” and “amazing” are what Insiders use to describe the London Marriott Hotel West India Quay. “The staff treated my family like royalty,” iwannatravel says. Platinumstar also had praise for the staff, saying “they don’t come better than this,” and the facilities, which include an “excellent restaurant” with fish supplied from the local market, a “very good gym” and an “excellent executive lounge.” Profchiara also got the “royal” treatment here and singles out the “fabulous” staff and says “the management is as close to perfect as it comes…I LOVE this hotel. I will ALWAYS stay here again when in London.” Both zukracer and platinumstar recommend upgrading to a Curve suite, which offers plenty of space and great views.

The historic St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel “exceeded our wildest expectations,” rhoke813 says. “The service makes it really, really special.” Breakfast in the Chambers club includes “pastries as good as any [from a] patisserie in Paris.” GemPrincess also had praise for the “fabulous” lounge and its butlers.

Other favorites include London Marriott Hotel Kensington, which has a “great” West London location and “exceptionally pleasant staff” according to redwood. Nftraveler had a “wonderful experience” at the London Marriott Hotel Regents Park, located “in a beautiful neighborhood with many interesting restaurants and shops nearby.” The London Marriott Park Lane Hotel offered what nancyj calls “excellent accommodations in every way… It was like returning to a cozy and welcoming home.” 

For the inside scoop on London Marriott hotel reviews, check out the latest member reviews - The specified item was not found.

Special thanks to members mgcandfnc, az85048, vixsyclark, travelbuff, flwanderer, maineman, iwannatravel, platinumstar, profchiara, zukracer, rhoke813, GemPrincess, redwood, nftraveler, nancyj, luv2travl, seektruth. To see one of your posts featured, we encourage you to contribute helpful tips, thoughts, experiences and insights throughout the community.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel West India Quay
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Regents Park
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Kensington
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
  • Re: London Calling - Where to Sleep
    goestoeleven Gold

I've reviewed numerous London threads, this one seems to lay out the choices nicely.

We are staying for 5 nights while visiting our 20 yo daughter.

I am presently Gold status, formerly Platinum using points for the stay.

Marriott County Hall seems to be the most popular for tourists - understandably so given the location.

However, we are seeking greater value (ok we are "frugal) and we are fans of public transporation.

We have a robust touring schedule throughout the city.  We will be spending very little time in the hotel  ... ideally, grabbing breakfast in the Concierge/Executive Lounge, heading out for the day via the Tube ... and not returning until late evening.

We are seeking your input on where to stay - best value somewhere within Zones 1 or 2 of the Tube.

Seems like the primary contenders are Regents PArk, Kensington and  Park Lane.

The Marriott Maida Vale offers the 5th night free ... but has some very mixed reviews.

Finally, the West India Quay looks very nice, but certainly out of the tourist fray.

What is the best value play for these cheapskate tourists?

Cheerio,  11

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

goestoeleven,

Let us know what you decided on for a hotel!

Have a wonderful trip.

goestoeleven Gold

We went with the value play .... Marriott Maida Vale is a Cat 6 (vs. County Hall at Cat 9).

5 nights for 120,000 points.

Appears to be a nice hotel in a meh area.

The Tube is our friend!

Will let you know how it worked out.

goestoeleven.

Sounds like a good choice, let us know how it works out!

Good luck!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Just spent 4 nights at the Maida Vale. Very comfortable. Reasonably close to the Underground (Kilburn Park) and the Overground (Kilburn High Road). Not so far, that one can't haul a modest amount of luggage, but when I was there, the down escalator was being repaired so be prepared to walk down to the platform (no lifts).

The Tube is the only way to go into the city (and stay sane). Might have taken 15 minutes but it seemed quicker. Get an Oyster card as soon as you get to town. You'll be using it a lot.

There are some modest places to eat in the area, but nothing spectacular (I reccomend the pub across the street - The Queen's Arms or the Raw Brick, a pizzeria/Italian place a few blocks north on the other side of Kilburn High Road).

One thing you won't be doing with this hotel is returning before the day is done. It's too far from the city for that.

Enjoy.

goestoeleven Gold

bejacob -

We likely overlapped at the Maida Vale.  We stayed 5 nights (11/6 - 11/11) in exchange for 120,000 hard earned points.  Maida Vale is a Cat 6, significantly lower that the other Marriotts that are closer in.

I agree 100% with your comments.  The Tube system is fantastic and the Kiliburn Park station is safe and convenient.  We got a 5-day Oyster card and traveled all over zones 1&2.

We did not frequent the Kilburn area cuisine.  We ate the breakfast buffet (scrambled eggs, breakfast meat, yogurt, fruit, bread/pastries) in the Concierge Lounge (served 7 days per week) and then we were out and about in the core areas of town, not returning until around 10 pm each night.  Positive experience with all staff.

In sum, if you are value oriented, and comfortable with London's world class public transportation service ... the Maida Vale Marriott should be considered.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

goestoeleven, we did cross paths. I stayed Nov 3 to Nov 7 (4 nights at the government rate--quite affordable for London, but still not cheap).

The Kilburn Park station would have been a wee bit nicer if the down escalator was working, though given the choice, walking down the stairs was easier than walking up would have been.

chautauquany Gold 4 Reviews

I've stayed at Marriotts in the city but last trip I wanted to use points for a stay as I wanted to get my brother's family a room for points, too.  Summer of 2012, nothing was open in the city, even 6 weeks before the Olympics.  So we ended up at the Marriott Cheshunt, where rooms are big, you can get 2 double beds, and you can take the train into Liverpool station.  It worked out well for us as we relaxed on the train back to the hotel.  I usually use my points for overseas hotels in big cities and cash for everything here in the states.  That allows me to splurge when on a big vacation. 

chautauquany,

That is a wonderful way to use the points. 

I do the same thing. 

Those $100 rooms in the US result in $1000's of savings outside of the US!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...