3 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2013 7:43 PM by woot RSS

Unexpected Bonus offer:  Anyone planning to ask to change their "2 cat. 1-5 certs" offer to a "3 cat. 1-4" offer?

woot Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I'm debating calling to ask if I can switch my cat.1-5 offer (2 certs) to a cat. 1-4 offer (3 certs), as we normally use these for "overnight stops" on road trips, so tend to use them in the middle of nowhere.  Is this wise?   Or, will "middle of nowhere" hotels also be moving up to cat. 5?   How accurate is the document that's been posted on this board, with all of the category changes for specific hotels?  Should we assume that we won't see other changes on May 16th?

Also, anyone done this?  Will they allow it?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Unexpected Bonus offer:  Anyone planning to ask to change their "2 cat. 1-5 certs" offer to a "3 cat. 1-4" offer?
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I would assume that the posted document with cat changes is accurate and there will be no changes other that those for another year.

I went the other direction.  It is hard for me to use cat 4 certifiactes.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Unexpected Bonus offer:  Anyone planning to ask to change their "2 cat. 1-5 certs" offer to a "3 cat. 1-4" offer?
    erc Platinum

Welcome aboard woot

1) Wise is determined by the user's travels. For middle of nowhere 'overnight stops' on road trips it would be better to have three free stops than two.

2) Many middle of nowhere places frequently have Category 3's and 4's (even if they have been moved up from 2's and 3's), that's one of Marriott's competitive strengths, they have properties all over.

3) How accurate would a prediction of the accuracy of the document posted on this board be? If last year's posting is an indicator (but like in investing, "past performance is not an indicator of future outcomes") the document is very accurate and can most likely be satisfactorily relied upon for your decision

4) May 16th probably won't have any other changes, even for Marriott Rewards, that would be pretty aggressive. However, I wouldn't be shocked if additional changes did occur before the one year expiration of your certificates, but again, given your travel plans, you should be fine. You can almost always find a nice Residence Inn, SpringHill, or Fairfield Inn for a pleasant overnight stay.

5) Yes, other rewards members have done this, I being one of them.

6) Marriott has become famous for being consistently inconsistent, so depending on who you get when you attempt to change and how many attempts you are willing to make to get your change, will help determine your outcome. Platinums seem to be having more luck than silvers, but given your overview as posted, I would recommend trying to secure the third free night.

Give them a call (like the lottery, you've got to play to win) and let us know how it went.

woot Silver

WOW; thanks for the responses, californian and erc!

Well, as it turns out, there are some changes to the hotel categories that were not on the original document - in particular, our favorite NoVA area hotel (we stay there every summer for 3-4 days) bumped up from a cat 3 to cat 4.

I'm still going to call tomorrow, and see if I can get our offer changed, however.  I'll let you know what happens!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...