1 2 3 9 Previous Next 122 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2013 2:53 PM by judymcnittmell RSS

Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??

ron1012 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Disturbing new trend???

Have any of you, my fellow Marriott loyal travelers, been finding half used shampoo and conditioner bottles placed as new bottles in their room?  I have had this happen now three or four times since the beginning of the year and only so far at Fairfield Inn's and Courtyard's, not at any Marriott's.

This is very disturbing to me on two fronts, one, what else in my room is not being properly cleaned/maintained and who is instructing housekeeping staff to do this?

Would love to know if anyone else has found this and where, most of my have been in Texas and Lousiana.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    sperlstein Silver

OMG!! This happened to me as well a couple of months ago at a Courtyard in PA. I immediately called the desk and housekeeping brought new ones but really?? How could this happen. The shampoo etc was all lined up on the counter, so someone clearly arranged them. Very disturbing to hear this might be a trend. ewww...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I had this happen but thought it was just an oversite.  I guess this was not the case.

I have noticed that in multiple night stays, at all brands, they don't always leave fresh when I use some.  They might be wiating till they are empty.

• 3. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    ron1012 Platinum

I think when we all check-in, we expect the room to be fully cleaned and supplied with new toiletries.  The fact that this is happening all over the country suggests that franchisees are being instructed to do this and thereby instructing their housekeeping staff to not replace the toiletries unless empty.  I see another news show expose in the future if this is not immediately addressed by Marriott corporate.

• 4. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??

This is part of the value of this site, when it happened to me, I thought it was a mistake and when you compare notes, you realize, that it is to be the norm.

• 5. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    calcteach Platinum 5 Reviews

Happened to me at Springhill Wuites in Morgantown. PA

• 6. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    lydenfam Platinum

Us too last weekend at a Courtyard in Columbus, IN. I thought it was just us too. I am happy to have leave bottles that we have started to use but to find ones half full was a surprise for us too. Normally, we bring our own or pick them up on the way when flying, but it is nice to know that there are at least backups if you need them.

• 7. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    missgee Silver 40 Reviews

Happened to me too... at the San Diego Marriott Marquis with the lotion.  When I called housekeeping they weren't apologetic and they weren't surprised.  It wasn't until I pressed the issue by stating that it was disgusting and that I expected more from an upscale property that they finally had the decency to apologize.  Otherwise, it was just a simple statement of  "Oh, okay.  We will bring you another."  I am like Ron1012.... if they are doing this then what else are they doing/not doing?

• 8. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??

Staying at the Marco Island Marriott, they left 4 bottles, 2 shower and 2 lotion - no shampoo or conditioner.  So I put one of each away so they would put all out the next day and they did not.

• 9. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I have had this happen more and more often, but for me what is even worse are cases of possibly used towels.  I have VERY often entered a room and used the bathroom and seen one or more bath towels askew even with slight indentations, kind of like when you're there for a few days and they refold them if you've chosen not to throw them in the bathtub to be taken away.

I'd go so far as to say this has happened on up to 50% of my recent stays. While I always try to recycle and be environmentally friendly and am happy to use my own towels for up to a week long stay, I definitely do NOT want to use someone else's used bath towels, so I throw them into the tub the next morning. I suspect this is another aspect of cost-cutting for profit, but if so they need to tell the housekeepers to do a better job of flattening and straightening the towels.  (Though trust me, I am not advocating that -- it's just that it's been so patently obvious what's happening.)

ProfChiara

• 10. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This has not happened to me yet.  But there's always a chance it will.  So, what can we do?  Raid the maid's cart? Ask for additional things?  Refuse the room and change rooms?

Anyway, it is indeed disturbing.

• 11. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??

I have raided the maid's cart (for toilet paper) and asked for new towels on occasion.  I try to avoid that if there are obviously unused towels in the room (and there usually are since there is only one of me but I always stay in a king size bed room that has probably housed more than one person prior to me).

But disturbing and disgusting yes.  For the amenities, I have not had as many problems, though they have distinctly lightened the amount of them available (I have to pack hair conditioner nowadays in my ziploc for 3 oz containers) just in case.

To sum it up, all of this eats away at loyalty. Thanks only to my nearly unused Premier Chase MR card (but pts) this year I will manage thanks to Athens to make silver, but that's probably all.  So be it!

• 12. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I am so sorry to hear of this trend. I only stay at full service Marriott's, JWM's, renaissance hotels (an occassional residence Inn) and Autograph Collection properties. I have not seen the partial filled bottles or apparently used towels issue (yet) on 29 paid stays in 2013. Maybe its luck, maybe its the properties, but if it happens, I will now be aware and respond appropriately. Fortunately, unlike Prof Chiara, I dont need to carry conditoner (I am not a metrosexual) and aside from the soap the hotel provides, I bring and use all of my own, even including q-tips. It really saddens me that any individual franchisee, or even Marriott corporate would encourage this re-use behavior, and my question is, where are the secret shoppers/quality control people on this? Please, everyone report to corporate these instances, maybe they will figure out there is a problem (if they didnt create it in the first place)and action it, but then again maybe not. In conclusion, In agree with the poster who said EWWWWWWWW! This trend is plain disgusting.

• 13. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??

Hi Stelzer,

Alas, without hair conditioner, I would look like something from the 60s.  I have fine, flat hair to start with so without conditioner brushing or combing it pulls out a lot, and to be vain for a moment (in matters physical), my hair is my crowning joy.  So conditioner is a cannot-do-without for me.  A lot of hotels have gotten used to the fact that there are more women business (and leisure travels) and most of us need this if we have to wash our hair daily. But others have not and since I am of the carry-on only luggage type of person that means my ziploc has to have plenty for a week long stay.

But yes to the EWWWWWWWW factor.  To get even EWWWIER, imagine if one of those towels is over the bidet... Yes, it has happened, and no I won't use the towel or bidet until the room has been fully cleaned the next day.

• 14. Re: Disturbing New Housekeeping Trend??
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This trend reminds me of those infamous old style Motel 6 and Econolodge places that we stayed in way back when--the towels were the size of handkerchiefs, the soap so thin that one use and it was gone, the TV bolted to the wall and most likely not functioning, and the carpeting and the bedspreads fit for a petri dish.  One thing that distinguished Marriott was consistency and quality--if this is a trend both characteristics are in jeopardy.

1 2 3 9 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...