7 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 3:58 AM by terere2 RSS

Washington DC in early June with family???

cbzevo Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I am planning a 3 or 4 day trip to Washington DC with the family, does anyone have any advice on hotels deals, using points for upgraded rooms etc.  Any info would be helpful.  Reward member looking to use points for most of the nights..

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Washington DC in early June with family???
    erc Platinum

A couple of quick hitting ideas:

1) Be sure to book BEFORE May 16th - the categories (meaning point cost) go up.

2) For Certificates 1-4 properties (or 20,000 or less nights), here's a good link right here from the forum    http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/message/73504#73504

3) Use the search box up above and the More Like This over to the right in orange (check it on each link, they change) for ideas about other higher Category props and upgrade ideas

4) Browse through this link All Events in Washington, D.C. | Goldstar for saving on possible activities you might be interested in

Others will jump in and add ideas, especially as you get more zeroed in on your specifics.

Enjoy and welcome to Insiders

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

There are all kinds of Marriott properties available on points for DC in June.  If you're looking for a RI, the one in Crystal City called Capitol View I think, and the one at Pentagon City are both nice and close to the metro.  Both are cat 4.  What kind of upgrade are you looking for?  But if you want to save your points, you can probably get a room for around $100 a night.  Either way, have a great visit to DC.  I hope you have an opportunity to visit memorials and gravesites to honor our war heroes.

cbzevo Gold

Thanks for the info, but when I did my initial search rooms were like $350 a night.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

What nights in June were you looking at?  I did a check both with points, and then weekend rate -- checking in on Thurs and out on Monday -- and found the rates reasonable.  And remember if you use points, you get 5 nights for the same number of points it takes for 4 nights, so that fifth night is no additional charge.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I have stayed, with our kids at the JW Marriott a few times - great place, great location.  We have also stayed a few times at the Residence Inn on Vermont, a few blocks from the White House.  Large rooms, decent breakfast and good location.  Last time we took the (adult) kids with us, we actually had two rooms at the Fairfield Inn in China Town.  It was actually pretty nice, creative and comfortable rooms, decent breakfast, nice staff - and a pub downstairs.  It is in a great location, easy walk to everywhere.

My wife and I stayed recently at the Courtyard Embassy Row and really enjoyed it.  They have a nice little restaurant downstairs - not a Courtyard restaurant, they must lease the space out.  Near Dupont Circle and an easy walk most places.  Number of good restaurants a short walk away.  St. Arnolds, over on Jefferson - great Belgian place.  One of the best brunches (and dinners) in town is the Hotel Tabard Inn.  If you go for brunch, get a few of their homemade donuts for the table.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I was recently in DC at the Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National.  The room rate was reasonable and it is attached to the metro so it is a quick and inexpensive trip to get to many DC landmarks.  It is not the nicest Marriott though.  It has a good fitness center, but it could use an update.

The Washington Marriott at Metro Center is much closer to the action and is a nice Marriott (nice rooms that feel contemporary and new).  It is expensive though and it is a high category so it will cost you a lot of points.

terere2 Platinum 5 Reviews

Depending on your schedule (weekend, weekdays) and the number of points or certificates you have available, there are loads of options.  The JW on Penn. Ave. is wonderful with a great location, a pool that's fun for kids and small concierge lounge with good food.  I could be biased because we had a corner room with a view of the Capitol, Jefferson Memorial and the Washington Monument - spectacular at night.  I look forward to staying at this property again in the future. 

The FFI in Chinatown was a pleasant surprise and is convenient to transit and not far from the Mall.  We were there a couple of years ago and I believe that it has gone up to Cat. 5 and will be moving to Cat. 6 later this month.  I have to concur that the Cat. 4 RI Pentagon City is worthwhile if you're not tied to staying in the downtown area.  We received a very nice upgrade to a 2 BR which worked out well given that I was travelling with 3 teenagers.  This hotel is remaining a Cat. 4.

Finally, there is the Marriott Wardman Park across from the National Zoo.  The Woodley Park metro station is nearby and the zoo is definitely worth a visit.  This is a large property with a couple of buildings - the older one is supposed to have more character - and the solid customer service that one expects from the brand.  In fact, we arrived a couple of days before Thanksgiving and the hotel contacted me to let me know that the lounge would be closed.  They provided coupons for the breakfast buffet and appetizers in the bar.  Also, there are a number of restaurants down the hill from the hotel.  

The bottom line is that Marriott has a huge number of properties in the area and there is tons to see and do.  Parking is always expensive and a hassle so try Metrorail (subway) if flying into DCA.  Enjoy your visit!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...