9 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 12:18 AM by kharada46 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Hawaiian railways and museums

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Pluto,

Thank you!  I'm not sure why that is... I'll remind communitymanager once again of the issue!  But I love Obon season.  it almost makes the heat & humidity worth it... that and mango season   But Obon season is a huge deal here in Hawaii.  There are so many "Bon Dances" across the island, even one in Waikiki!  The Okinawan festival at Kapiolani Park (which also has a Bon Dance) is during the tail end of Obon season as well.

As for the railway... are you a rail buff?  I know most people are shocked to see railroads here, though the 4 major islands all had railroads at one point in their histories.  In fact, Oahu Railway here on Oahu was a major Class 1 railroad that ran from Honolulu Harbor up to Kahuku via West Oahu and the rugged Kaena Point.  The mainline was even double tracked from downtown Honolulu to Ewa.  Today, what remains was preserved by the US Navy for munitions supply trains, which ran through the end of the Korean War.  Now the railroad is cared for and is being restored by the Hawaiian Railway Society, which offers rides every Sunday.  It runs though Ko Olina, which is why the new shopping complex across from Ihilani is called Ko Olina Station

The Hawaiian Railway Society - Oahu, Hawaii

Hawaiian Railway Society - Photos | Facebook

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oahu, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Hawaiian railways and museums
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I really am not a rail "buff", but I really do love trains and love to ride them.  Love train museums, and I was fascinated by your rail shots in Hawaii, because you're exactly right; it's not what one would expect to see on the Islands (and also because of such great photography).  It was surprising to know that there were/are railways in Hawaii!  When I was 8-9 years old, I used to live very near to Griffith Park and the LA Zoo in Los Angeles (we also lived next door to my grandma, who was a consummate Dodger fan and expert on all things Dodgers - when we weren't listening to a game on Dodger radio, we were at a game - the stadium wasn't far from us.)  Anyway, nearby, was a place called Travel Town, which has all kinds of trains that you can climb on and such, plus train rides.  My girlfriends and I used to go there on our bikes all the time (and the zoo too - 10 and under were free), and the guy who ran Travel Town would give us free train rides.  This was during a more innocent time in history, when kids could move about more independently without parents having to worry so much about their safety.  By the time my kids came along, we couldn't let them play out front without supervision.  Anyway, I digressed, but thanks for the memories.  P.S.  Old Town Sacramento has a stellar train museum.

Well, here's a confession.  A few years ago, I started collecting Thomas train stuff.  Right now it's all in a box, but I need my husband to make me a custom table to set it all up on, so the grandkids can play with it when they come over.  I just love that stuff!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

You have given me an idea for a whole new "Creation"!

Will be posting it shortly!

Thanks!

pluto,

Thanks!  I got  couple more here for you:

24415_1411312604403_4404281_n.jpg24415_1411319844584_1883357_n.jpg

But yes, aside from the Class 1 Oahu Railway, Oahu was also home to numerous sugar plantation railroads.  As was Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island. 

It's funny you should mention Travel Town!  Do you remember this locomotive?

hi15.jpg

She was shipped to California in 1953 and was ran until her boiler failed inspection in 1960, and was put on static display until the early 1990's.  At that point, she was purchased by the Lahaina, Ka'anapali, and Pacific Railroad on Maui, where they attempted to restore her to full operation.  But the boiler maker didn't build the new boiler to specification... and years of litigation and change in owners meant she never was restored.  Fast forward to 2010, and the Hawaiian Railway society purchased her and brought her back to Oahu, not too long after her 100th birthday:

Last locomotive returns to Oahu - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Today she's undergoing cosmetic restoration, but the society would like to restore her to full operation:

262478_621305664563582_690127760_n.jpg

But thanks for sharing your memories!  Sounds like a great childhood!  Next time you decide to come to Hawaii, check out one of our many railroad sites if you can! 

Oahu:  The Hawaiian Railway Society - Oahu, Hawaii

Maui:  Welcome to the Sugar Cane Train!

Kauai:  http://grovefarm.org/hawaii-trains/

Kauai Plantation Railway • Kauai Train Ride

Big Island:  Laupahoehoe Train Museum - Take a Trip Back in Time

I used to collect Thomas stuff too!  That and Lionel trains.  I can't afford it, but one of these days, I'd like to get one of these...

ACCUCRAFT TRAINS 

Speaking of California, we won't have time to make it to Sacramento, but I am looking forward to hopping on the train at Disneyland... maybe attempt to get a cab ride?  If we get to Knotts Berry, then of course there's the Rio Grande locomotive and rolling stock to ride and admire  

Kyle,

That was an amazing post!  I love the photos, and I'm sure that I climbed all over that Oahu Railway engine #85 when I was a kid.  It truly looks familiar.  Wow, what a small world.  I would love to check out the train museums when I visit The Islands some day.  Very cool indeed.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Yes, wonderful indeed!

Pluto,

Thank you.  It is avery small world!  You have a deeper connection with Hawaii and it's (unknown) history than you thought!   

I hope you do get to visit some day.  All are authentic locomotives at least, EXCEPT for the Sugar Cane Train on Maui.  That one is purely a tourist railroad with locomotives from Carbon Limestone Co and custom fab. rolling stock.  Though, to be fair, the rails were recycled from the abandoned Kahului Railroad (one of it's locomotives survives at Georgetown Loop Railroad as #12). 

You know, come to think of it Roaring Camp Railroad is in possession of an 1890 built Baldwin 0-4-2 saddle tank locomotive from the Kahuku Plantation Company railroad on Oahu's North Shore.  She was bought by Roaring Camp in 1966 and is still known as Kahuku #3. 

Gosh, I think I know too much about this stuff... haha   But railroads fascinate me, especially railroads of Hawaii. 

Thanks for sharing this very impressive and most interesting information.  I'll definitely have to bookmark this info for a future visit, and am glad to know I have a special connection to the Islands.

I've ridden the Shinkansen, but it was many years ago and back when it was the fastest train in the world, which, back then I believe was breaking the 200/kph barrier, or about 135/mph, but very impressive for it's time.  I just realized, I sound old.

Community manager was kind enough to branch this off of the London discussion for me.

Oops, didn't see this before responding to the duplicate!  Anyhow, thank you to community manager! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...