17 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2013 3:09 PM by erc Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Insiders World Tour, Hawaiian Trip

erc Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

It's a bit too late for the Insiders World Tour get together May 15th in London, and for my trip which follows a week later, but pluto77 and kharada46 and any others going later, this link from Jetsetters is pretty interesting and with advance planning may be of value - free stuff to do.

http://www.jetsetter.com/feature/free-things-to-do-in-london?&ept=promo&eca=promo&et=daily&ep=20130501&oeid=20130501_vGW_WEDG_np&ect=gilt&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily&utm_term=20130501_vGW_WEDG_np&utm_source=gilt&DG=b9de52c0-a997-49d6-809d-4f926e8bf533

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Insiders World Tour, Hawaiian Trip
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

erc,

Excellent information!

I really liked the "See London for Free"!  It is so true and helpful!

Plan on doing some of this the week after next!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Thanks for the great info erc!  When are you coming to Hawaii again?  I know it was sometime in late November/early December?  Perhaps we can attempt to play a MRI Hawaii meet up   Anyone down for that??

Location Brand Hotel
    Hawaii, USA
      erc Platinum

kharada

We arrive in Hawaii on the evening of December 10th. We're staying in a private residence on Olohana just up from the CY (it's the whole gang; the saintly mrs. erc, granny, daughters, significant others etc, so a hotel would have required either a hugely successful trade in the stock market or a part time job). We depart the next week on the 18th (using the Marriott Waikiki as a staging area for our evening flight on the last day).

On my recent trip to Chicago, my daughters (26 and 28) asked about you and our Hawaii trip (I had told them about your great Hula suggestion) and said they'd love to get together early in the trip with you and pick your 'youthful' brain rather than rely on pops' memory . So if you and Mrs. Kharada, or just you alone (since you might lose some of your coolness factor with your new bride if she knew who you hung with on line ) would want to get together for a brief meet and greet, that would be great for us mainlanders. We'll see how it goes as we draw nearer the date. Mahalo

http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/13647  I mentioned you in this post. Honor system contest: if you know who this guy is, you win a free pupu ! (or if you'd prefer, we'll smuggle you a Ben's Chili Dog, but it would probably taste like the wrapper by time we hit the island).

erc,

that's right... I'm so forgetful!    I remember talking about the whole gang coming and the property, but can never seem to remember the exact date... I think I shall enter it into my calendar! 

I'm down for a meet up though!  Let me know when and what type of place you'd like to meet at and I can arrange something.  I'm not sure how much help I'd be to your daughters, though, since I'm admittedly kind of an old soul... haha.  Not much into the club/dancing scene, though I certainly do know a little bit about it here.  If you guys can get me your requests earlier, or even now, I can gather up some info myself and ask others if need be.  But yeah, I'd be more than happy to help you guys anyway I can and meet up with you folks!  It'll be fun! 

lol, you know... I've heard of the Fonz thanks to Family Guy and That 70's Show, but I can never remember what the actor's name is.

Anyhow, here's some pictures to hold you over until December   Hawaii The Beautiful

erc Platinum

1) These are great photos - make sure these are under Hawaii so everyone can see them. I think you probably already have because of your tags and I remember some shots (like the towers), but just in case you haven't make certain anyone looking up info on Hawaii can find these - they would be of great interest not only to visitors but to all.

erc's after the fact edit - oops, just saw the post, Hawaii the Beautiful - good job

2) That sounds great about getting together with you, I'll keep in touch. They're not all that wild party'ers (or so they claim ), whereas they would probably be interested in a place with some good local music, they'll probably hit you up more for good swimming spots/waves and cool paddleboarding, kayaking type stuff. Thanks for your help.

3) It's funny about the pop culture references. I work a lot with college students and young entrepreneurs your age and like my daughters, many of the references from my bygone era are known by your generation thru parodies. My daughter was shocked to see the actual vomiting scene from the Exorcist - she thought if was a comedy bit from Scary Movie 2 !

4) And now as a reminder and to avoid (correctly so) being scolded by the posting police about changing threads - Back to London

sg1974 thanks for the excellent link for shows in London http://www.theatremonkey.com/ . Is the link about shows or were you just addressing me?   Remember everyone, you heard about the 13 Tony (most) nominee Kinky Boots first, right here on Insiders.

sg1974 Gold

erc,

i didn't realise that you were on the look out for information on shows until you booked rock of ages.

Theatre monkey is a good site, what I like about it is the information about the the seats and the views from them.

Some cheaper seats are okay, while others can come with restricted view. We have used this site many times to assist us.

I'll keep an eye out on theatre deals if there are any others you are interested in.

SG

erc,

thanks!  I have to post good photos and tag them to tempt people to visit Hawaii...  

Anyhow, Hawaiian music is a BROAD category!  You have the contemporary "Jawaiian" stuff that's more like Reggae, there's the traditional stuff, the slack key guitar stuff, local singers that sing anything, etc. 

Here's one example.  This is Ben Vegas & Maila Gibson of Ben & Maila, though Ben is singing a song he was famous for before they formed this duet:  Ben and Maila - Puanani - YouTube

They don't really sing Hawaiian music as a duet.  They're actually wedding/party singers and will be at our wedding (I hope).  They do perform at Disney's Aulani a lot too.  That being said, Aulani often has free live music, as does many other hotels. 

This young virtuoso sings primarily 1920's era Hawaiian music, though I think this song is more contemporary... not sure.  I've had the pleasure of meeting her and see her perform live.  This is a short clip from HawaiiNewsNow:  Raiatea Helm - Sea of Love - YouTube

Of course the easiest way to see what contemporary Hawaiian music is like is to listen in (over the internet) to local radio station KCCN:  KCCN -

Alternatively, you can listen in on the older, more mellow style here at KINE:  KINE - Homepage

Let me know what type you folks are interested and I can gather info.  Being a band person, though, I can't forget to mention the Royal Hawaiian Band!  They perform most Sundays at Kapiolani park (free)

Royal Hawaiian Band

But yup!  As much as people don't like shows like Family Guy, etc. I have to say, I've learned a lot from them too!  Not only of pop culture references, but even history.  Some of the humor requires you to know history in order to understand it. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Kyle,

Fantastic photos/photography!  I've observed a number of Obon festivals in my time.  Fun and interesting.  The railway photos were intriguing as well.  I tried to comment on the photo album, but there was no mechanism with which to comment, so sorry to get off track.

kh,

The Fonz is Henry Winkler!

His famous jacket can be seen in The Smithsonian!

jerry,

I see.  Didn't know that!  Been to the Smithsonian once, but only for a few hours... got to see some of the Natural History museum, but really need to get back one day to see the rest! 

kh,

Henry is busy doing "Commercials" in the US for seniors!

Jerry,

I see!  Which commercial would that be?

kh,

I think it is addressed to Seniors for Mortgage changes.

He is a good guy, but I am not interested in his product!

I see Jerry.  I'd agree with you on having no interest in senior oriented mortgages! 

erc Platinum

kharada and jerrycoin

Ok, me observing you two travelbugs talking television is like profchiara watching me describe the Maid of Orleans' military strategies. Next week's topic, Jumping the Shark; study up, television viewers

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...