5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2013 7:49 PM by goldenbear RSS

Dubai and Bali- any tips?

andrew_p Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I've just booked my flights and will be stoppin over in Dubai for night before headed to Bali for 2 weeks.  Has anyone been before?  Any tips or suggestions will be warmly welcomed.  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dubai, UAE
Bali, Indonesia Autograph Collection The Stones Hotel - Legian Bali, Autograph Collection
Dubai, United Arab Emirates JW Marriott JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
  • Re: Dubai and Bali- any tips?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Andrew,

I'm not sure how much time you will have or where you will be staying, but it sounds like your time in Dubai will be rather short.  That being the case, I would say your best bet would be to try to get to the top of the Burj Khalifa (tallest building in the world), especially if you can do it while it's still light outside.  You should definitely get ticket reservations in advance.  They cost about $35 or 125AED (advance purchase for a specific date and time reservation), or about $109 or 400AED for immediate entry.  Purchase the tickets online in advance to save money, and because it does get booked up.  http://www.burjkhalifa.ae/en/ObservationDeck/TicketInformation.aspx

dubai-30.jpg

Near the foot of the Burj Khalifa in a huge complex sits the Dubai Mall as well as a man-made lake.  The Dubai Mall is fascinating (as are most malls in the UAE - absolutely over the top in terms of size and offerings.)  The man-made lake offers the worlds largest choreographed water fountain system, which displays shows of water and light choreographed to music, and can be seen every half hour beginning at dusk.  There are many different performances, all unique, all spectacular.  We saw a performance of an Emirate song (I wish I knew which one, it was awesome) and another one set to Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You."  Everything in Dubai is the best of the best.  There are also many different restaurants set along the perimeter of the lake where you can dine and enjoy the water shows and an exquisite view of the Burj Khalifa all lit up at night.

TheDubaiFountain.jpg

There are many things to see and do in Dubai.  But for a stopover, this would be my recommendation.  If you're looking for something less modern or commercial, more authentic, I would recommend a spice or gold souk in Deira or a ride in an Abra on Dubai Creek.

JW Marriott Marquis Dubai.jpg

Also, the JW Marriott Marquis Dubai is now the tallest hotel in the world.

Enjoy your trip.  I've never been to Bali.  Sounds exotic.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates JW Marriott JW Marriott Marquis Hotel Dubai
    goldenbear Platinum 2 Reviews

Hi Andrew,

It has been 20 years since I've been to Dubai, so my information is not up-to-date, but I thoroughly enjoyed Dubai when I was there in 1993-94.  As Pluto_77 mentioned, the gold souk (or spice souk) is a great way to spend a few hours--you will be quite impressed.

The last time I went, I ate at a very inexpensive restaurant with delicious food; it was called simply "
    Today." It is about a mile from the JW  in Diera--a cab driver should be able to find it.  They serve Indian food, and the best Naan I ever had was in that restaurant.  Again, it was 20 years ago, but an "all-you-can-eat" breakfast of naan and spiced daal was $1US.  I think I put on 10 pounds--I couldn't stop eating--it was SO delicious!

I will be going back in about 6 weeks--maybe I'll see you there!

Safe travels,

Goldenbear70

Hi Andrew,

It has been 20 years since I've been to Dubai, so my information is not up-to-date, but I thoroughly enjoyed Dubai when I was there in 1993-94.  As Pluto_77 mentioned, the gold souk (or spice souk) is a great way to spend a few hours--you will be quite impressed.

The last time I went, I ate at a very inexpensive restaurant with delicious food; it was called simply "
    Today." It is about a mile from the JW  in Diera--a cab driver should be able to find it.  They serve Indian food, and the best Naan I ever had was in that restaurant.  Again, it was 20 years ago, but an "all-you-can-eat" breakfast of naan and spiced daal was $1US.  I think I put on 10 pounds--I couldn't stop eating--it was SO delicious!

Safe travels,

Goldenbear70

Hi Andrew,

Goldenbear70

Hi Andrew,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...