13 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 6:15 PM by kharada46 RSS

Singapore Airlines First Class - Singapore to Houston - 28 April 2013

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Singapore, Singapore Marriott Hotels & Resorts Singapore Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Singapore Airlines First Class - Singapore to Houston - 28 April 2013
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jasper,

Nice, very nice!

Again, that looks like the way to travel!  Can you tell us how was the food?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

The food in the Singapore Airlines Private Room was much better, but for Airline food it was better than most!!!! My wife had the Chilean Bass and she thought it was outstanding. I had the King Prawn and it was ok but I have had better. The Champagne was outstanding...We had both the Krug and Dom Perignon!!! The Service was the best ever on any airline.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thanks so much for the video jasper100.  I completely agree with jerrycoin as it is the only way to travel, but Dom, WOW.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Nice.  I flew first class on Cathay Pacific and had heard that they were the best but this looks better.  It reminds me of the Concord at LHR for BA.  Even though I wasn't impressed with the planes, the lounge was nice too.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Californian,

I've heard so many great things about Cathay Pacific's first class!  To be honest, both Cathay Pacific and Singapore top my wish list of airlines to fly in first.  Others would include JAL (US mainland to Tokyo, Hawaii gets the junk stuff), Lufthansa, Qantas, and Etihad. 

But only Singapore Airlines brings you Suite Class!  A class beyond first!

A380 Extravaganza: Singapore Airlines Suites Class San Francisco to Hong Kong - One Mile at a Time

I flew first on Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong.  They only had 6 seats which could be considered suites.  They had 2 flight attendants serving us.  It was a real treat.  It was the nicest that I flew.  AA is nothing like it but nicer than BA.

My worst experience flying first was Japan Airlines.  I will not fly them unless there is no other choice.  I flew business on Quantas and it was nice.  First on Air Tahiti Nui was really nice.  The service was great.

Californian, 

That does sound like a great experience!  And you're right, international carriers are almost always better than domestic carriers... the well developed carriers like CX, QF, LH, etc.  Nonetheless, I look forward to experiencing AA's new J product on their brand new 77W.  Would be even better if she were "bare metal" aluminum rather than that new eyesore paint job...

Hmm, what happened on JAL?  I've flown them between HNL and NRT on two separate occasions and have always had a positive experience.  Always flown in economy.  But I've seen recent reviews of them and the idea of a Tempurpedic mattress for First class passengers on the 77W, as well as great sounding menus intrigue me.  Of course none of this is offered from Hawaii... only from the mainland!

I flew Japan Airlines when I went to Thailand.  I flew first and the service was terrible and I think a lot of that was that I am a woman and as i remember the rest were men.  I was definitely treated as a second class person.  The planes were all old and the blankets they used were wool.  When I got home, my legs had bug bites all over probably from the blankets that might have had flees..

Going from Japan to Thailand, I had a smaller plane and was in business.  The seat was not properly bolted to the floor and would pull up at times and was horribly uncomfortable.

Returning, I left Puckett in the early morning, had a long time in Bangkok and had 11 1/2 hours in Japan.  I had the choice of a 50 min connection of 12 hr.  I was advised against the 50 min.  By the time I got on the big plane, I was so tired that all I wanted to do was sleep.  I asked the flight attendant for some miso soup and rice.  She would not bring it till they served all the men their drinks, etc.  Usually when in forst they serve you as an individual and you can eat at the time that you choose.  I waited since I know I would not sleep sound if I were hungry.

Again, this on all segments, was the absolute worst experience with any airline.

Californian,

That sounds awful!  I wouldn't be surprised that your treatment was because you're a woman... unfortunately Asian cultures still work that way, but a large international company like JAL has no excuse!  I've never really had a Japan based flight crew though... Hawaii always got flight crews that were a mix of Japanese, Southeast Asian, and American... And we always get the hand-me-down jets too..  

But I don't blame you for not wanting to fly them again... I do hear that Asiana has amazing food, but I haven't heard much about their hard product or service.  I should investigate!  But I have no desire to go to Korea...

Jasper,

Thanks for sharing!  Looks great!  Singapore Airlines is on my list of airlines to try one of these day!   

I used points for my first class points. However, it is very unusual that one can use United points to get either business or First Class seats on Singapore Airlines. I was lucky as flyertalk website indicated that Singapore Airlines opened up First Class seats inadvertantly during a system change for a few days and I was lucky enough to take advantage of this!!!

Jasper,

You really got lucky!  I'm pretty jealous... I've heard that first class award tickets are quite hard to get on Singapore, but I've heard that Suite Class is all but impossible to get award tickets.  I believe you have to redeem KrisFlyer miles to even have a chance at Suite Class

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...