42 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 4:53 PM by GemPrincess Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Argentina is on the bucket list

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Argentina is on the bucket list!

Especially in may for the Tango Festival where they dance tango in the streets.

Course I think we need to practice up and be prepared by eating in Argentinian steak houses!

Maybe even a tango lesson or two before going???

I think they may even teach on board the cruise ships (Tango that is).

and one cruise line even has a Churascharria (Brazil Steak House)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Argentina is on the bucket list
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GP,

Never been to South America, never had a desire to go in the past.  However, if we could really get this "Cruise idea" together, that would be the way I would travel around South America!  I know they have nice cruises that do this!  What do you think!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vagabond12 Platinum

Definitely South America!! Between Argentina and Brazil we would need to do lots of tangos!!  I stayed in Rio at the JW ....the Copacabana Beach is awesome...I loved walking down the beach at night checking out the street vendors as I drank my Caipirinha.....

sg1974 Gold

The JW in Rio is very good. It was a delight to be drinking caipirinha's whilst overlooking Copacabana. The hotel is in a great location!

This is a great churrascaria chain: http://www.porcao.com.br/ we have been to the branches in Rio & Brasilia.

The Botofogo location in Rio is excellent, what a view of the bay!

We were even invited for a visit to the kitchen and boy it was busy in there.

sg1974,

Thanks for this information!

Hopefully, it would make a great place to dine as well as stay!

Thanks again, it really sounds like a lovely place.

Vagabond,

My Hungarian mother has great stories of shopping along the Copacabana!

She says she was even in a jewelry store when it was held up, but the thieves let her go in a great display of machisimo!

vagabond12 Platinum

GemP,   I can't imagine how your mom felt....the folks we were with, natives, kept looking over their shoulders and keeping an eye on everyone around them...don't know if it was because we were a small group or or age (over 50) but they were on edge when we were out in the evening.

vagabond,

My Hungarian mother was there in the 60s and caused quite the stir as it was not common in those days for women to go out on their own.  And she has blond hair and blue eyes so stands out in a crowd.  She said traffic was stopped and everyone staring when she was walking along the main street along the ocean shopping.  She finally started taking along male relatives even if they were just young boys, e.g. 10 years old as that made it 'proper'.

She said she stopped at a very nice jewelry store, and they had a guard with a gun, but they had let in some well dressed gentlemen who turned out to have guns. So I guess they were high class thieves. Anyways, she said they were very polite, and told her they didn't want to inconvenience her.

Her father had immigrated to Brazil instead of the US, and lived with the ex pat Hungarian & German community on an island, away from town for security purposes, even in those days!

GP,

This is more, much more "Book and movie material", so good!

She sounds like Tippi Hedron!

Actually she looks and sounds more like Zsa Zsa Gabor, though she hates this when people say it

but as far as the drama, she is way more dramatic and entertaining than any of the actresses I can think of.

Actually the book should be about her life living and traveling in so many countries.  I just could never keep up with the note taking in Hungarian, German, Romanian, Russian, French, Greek, etc.  Everytime she hit a name of a person or place and I asked her to spell it she lost patience.  I thought of taping, but I am not sure how many translators I would need to actually get it transcribed correctly.

Also alot of it she has told me she doesn't want certain people knowing certain things. I am almost thinking of fictionalizing it all, and that way I can do as little or as much historical research to back it up as I like, and I don't have to worry about anyone trying to link it to real people or events.

vagabond12 Platinum

GemP,

Sounds like they were taken by a beautiful young lady!  How fortunate for your mother.

JC,

Have been watching teh South America cruises for sometime. The cruise is expensive, and the af there is expensive. Connections are not easy. But eventually I will work it out.  I actually have my Delta air miles, that have growing since profchiara taught me how to shop my way to free air fare, ear marked for this. Since I don't usually fly Delta, and I have all my shopping building mileage there, eventually I will have the ticket.

Most cruises are out of Valpariso (about 250 miles from Santiago) to Sao Paulo, or vice versa, are 2-3 weeks.

Another option is to do a repositioning to or from the US, so air fare is one way.

Its actually further to fly to either of these cities than Moscow, and that is one long flite.

GP,

Great information!

I would really be interested in a South American cruise, but have no desire to just fly to a single location.  It could prove interesting.

JC,

I'd say I am at least a year or two or more out on planning this.

My biggest problem is my office not liking me out more than 1 week, so it limits my trips to about 12 days.

Next is the airline problem, cause even when you get to Santiago, you have to go another 250 miles to Valpariso (same situation as Alaska with Anchorage to Seward), and the only way to go in chile, is train, bus, or local commuter plane, none of which are attractive options in my mind.

this is why the repositioning cruise which goes through the canal might be best.

Besides I have only done the partial transit through the canal (finishing up on a small ship and then returning to the cruise ship)

I would love to cruise all the way through,

vagabond12 Platinum

having travelled on some of local buses and commuter planes in South America (Brazil to Paraguay but I don't believe there's that much difference) I can tell you that they aren't high on my list of options either...a repostioning cruise sounds like an interesting one, we've been playing with the idea of travelling to Argentina and I've been intrigued with the canal so this might be a great way to combine the two...

yep, I think its pretty risky on some of this local transit, especially with mountains involved.

One too many tour buses off the side of the moutain.

and I don't even like the commuter planes in the US

Am sure those outside the country are worse.

vagabond12 Platinum

ah try flying Cape Air out of Boston....I'd much rather be flying Ryan or easyjet.....lol.......but having flown aeroflot into Siberia (with the engine smoke making me gasp) I'd say a couple of my flights in SA were much much better...as for the bus...my friend, a doctor, had to take a valium before she got on one....lol...I just shut my eyes and prayed....

I know 2 people who have dealt with Aeroflot from the business end, and both use trains.  One is an ex-FAA official that consults with them, the other has an in-law that is a mechanic with Aeroflot.  Both use trains in Russia

GP,

Totally understand.  I really like that re-positioning cruise idea.  Don't know much about them other than they tend to be a whole lot less expensive.

I cannot drive over mountains anymore (Age, I got sick going thru The Dolmites in Northern Italy, and cannot ride or drive thru mountains anymore).

It might be a "White nuckler" going on a train in The Andes?

JC,

Am thinking train is the only way to go fi not a repositioning cruise.

I am not fond of mountain driving (from a young age, so being older has nothing to do with it).

One trip up (and down) Mt Washington was enough for me, its either the Cog railway or I wait at the base.

Avoided the Hanna Road in Maui, going around the northeast side of the island which was far worse than the road to Hanna.

had no voice left after screaming at my sister to slow down for 2 hr (she was only going 10 mph and I am surprised she didn't just hit me).

GP,

I can relate to your experience!

Two hours at 10 mph!

Thanks for the memories!

JC,

Its an unsettling memory!

and my throat hurts thinking about it!

GP,

Yes,

I am so sorry for the "Throat hurting" experiences, we all have way too many!

JC,

Thanx for the sympathy!

Its way more than I got from my sister (driving around north eastern Maui) or my ex (going up/down Mt Washington)!

GP,

Mt. Washington is a dangerous place.  Highest winds ever recorded in America where at Mt. Washington.  Can be a beautiful place, but also the weather changes in a hurry!

erc Platinum

Whoo baby. Before we get justifiably scolded by skiadcock and others for veering off course (that's just how we roll on Insiders) and get into Washington's bust on Mt. Rushmore and from there go to the neighboring state of North Dakota and talk about their oil boom which brings us back to Saudi princes, I want to remind everyone that this actually is a superb thread (started effectively by jerrycoin) about great places to dine while in London (I'll be using several of the references). Go to pages 1-3 and see the terrific insights by jerrycoin, arkwright, chrisf, sg, and several others.

Ok, back to the camaraderie that this forum is famous for

No worries, Erc!

I asked NathalieF to branch our mt driving experiences to another thread.  The question is should we have one thread discussing mountain experiences, or try to divide them out geographically?  What do you think?

Hopefully, CM will read our discussion here and take appropriate action.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I'll be at the Canary Wharf near my beloved East End of London (the only part I like) in mid-December to meet with my documentary people.  And reviews or ideas?  I'll eat in the East End mostly, esp on the second floor of the Ten Bells, but hopefully for one dinner I'll either go back to TAS or somewhere all of you have suggested!  Thanks in advance -- but it must be in the East End or near Canary Wharf.

Cheerio, ProfChiara

erc Platinum

Oh man, I put your post aside, went to dinner and then forgot all about it. Then, a couple of days later had a heck of a time finding it (which was a bit of my point) and now finally landed on it. I wasn't complaining, heck I got terrific insights all about London from everyone. My point was to the continuing contributors of the post; and that was - you guys were racking up some good stuff (for example Mt. Washington NH, I've seen shows on that and it does look very fascinating) that a month from now, no one would ever be able to find.
                              Ok, off to the barren leaf Vermont (thus the terrific $89 FI rates which are now $159 - must be because they're ski rates - ha), so I may need to use Razorbackfan's photos for my foliage, but I'll get a shot of Ben and Jerry's graveyard of flavors and eat a butter pecan cone in honor of Mrs. Pained. So long, gang

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

erc, the leaves are pretty along the coast (Maine and New Hampshire).  I'll be posting some more pictures in the next few days.  Eat an ice cream cone for me, please.

chrisf Alumni Steward Platinum 20 Reviews

RAzor ... They are pretty good here in Virginia too.  I have some good pics too but can seem to load them via the iPad

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

The Mt. Washington conversation can be found at , Driving Mt. Washington

GP,

No more driving on Mt. Washington for me!

JC

Totally agree!

I don't like driving or riding in the vans on the Mt. Washington road.

Its Cog Railway all the way for me if I ever do it again.

and for any train history buffs, its a fascinating train.

http://www.thecog.com/

GP,

Good information!

Will enjoy Mt. Washington from a scenic distance!

GemP ... I think that you have just brought back memories our nightmare journey on Maui. Is this the road that is just about one car wide but has two way traffic?  If so, we've been there too but a lot faster than 10 mph.

When we came across the signs for falling rocks, we should have got a hint ... then it stated that the road narrowed ... no, we thought, this is part of the USA, they don't have roads as narrow as in the UK.  Were we wrong!?!  We were second in the line when we cam across the first car heading towards us ... there were another 3 cars behind us.  Fortunately for us, the lone driver had to reverse until we could all pass.  The guy in the lead then decided the pressure was too much and at the next 'wide-section'  (I use those words loosely!) he bottled and pulled in, which left us as the lead car.  Fortunately, a short way ahead, a local pulled onto the road with a battered pick-up from a similar 'wide-section' ... I just decided to hook-on and follow.  The driver of the pick-up was clearly either clairvoyant, completely bonkers or a mixture of the two and I had great difficulty keeping reasonably close to him.  My wife was equally voluble as you and also added the ... 'what if we can't get out at the other end and have to come back?' ... quite motivational for the driver!  However, as we reached the end, I was blessing the clairvoyant/bonkers driver and agreed with my wife that that was the worst drive we had ever done ... and our initial rational was that it looked a nice scenic route! ... I don'r recall any scenery.

Chrisf,

Sounds like the same round!

I managed to avoid the road to Hana knowing I don't do well on cliffside roads.  And I didn't go to Haleakana (except to fly over it in a helicopter and look down).  My sister and her friends from NYC were much more adventurous, getting up for the 4am trip up Haleakana and biking down. They also did the parasailing.  So on one of the last days we went to the plantation, and I thought, why not drive around the east end home instead of returning the way we came.

Big mistake on my part!  We ended up on this horrible cliff side road.  The road kept getting narrower and narrower with signs about falling rocks. Then the road turned to gravel or dirt.  Hard to tell cause it was raining.  First a drizzle, and we ignored it as it always seemed to rain a bit in the pm and then clear up.  But this particular day it started coming down harder.  We of course had rented the 'cute' car.  A yellow Pontiac Firebird Convertible.  Since it had been drizzling when we left the plantation, we had left the top up luckily.  My sister kept asking what it looked like outside the window, and I told her she couldn't look she needed to watch the road, and I was going anywhere near that side of the car to look either. Then the signs started about beware of mud slides.  Finally we came to a point in the road where there was a mud slide and a work gang digging it out.  The road by then was very narrow, with no place to turn.  They actually had to dig out some of the hill so we could turn around and go back.

Worse road trip in my life!

GemP / Jerry,

I have just tracked this 'subset' dialogue down ... I had deleted the mail from my inbox and couldn't recall which posting it was under ... 'London Dining' was not my first guess.  As with you two, we have South America on our bucket list too.  For us, it is probably a couple of years out ... I had this or China pencilled in for 2015.  If there is a chance of a 'team' event, we would be delighted to participate.

Should we start a separate posting on this topic?  Or maybe, Jerry, we should just have a MI World Tour posting for each year?

chrisf,

Yes, I will start a post for each year!

Splendid idea!

Chrisf,

I think it might be nice to do it by destination in case we want to move destinations around in different years.

What if a great deal comes up in one place, and we want to move that trip out?

Or we can't find something we like for another place, or isn't as good as the great deal.

We can just swap them.

Who ever owns this tread can branch the South American messages off to a new thread, or we can create a new thread.

What do you think?

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Spent a week in Buenos Aires a few years back and loved it.  Was nothing like what we expected.  Oldest tango bar/show in Buenos Aires Tango Shows Buenos Aires Argentina . Was a fun night.  The bars and restaurants (lots of outdoor seating) in Ricoleta are fun - stroll across the park and tour the cemetery where Evita's tomb is.  Amazing cemetery.

Dulce de leche ice cream, spread/sauce, Alfajores (shortbread cookie sandwich with dulce de leche in the middle and various coatings - yum!)

We were on a business awards trip, so we were not picking our own restaurants - but be prepared to eat alot of beef!  In the morning the hotel served a nice breakfast buffett which always included wonderful smoked salmon and champagne.

If you get a chance, tour the Colon Opera House.  An amazing place.  When we were there Mikhail Baryshnikov was practicing with other dancers in a room a few floors below the main hall.

Shopping down on Florida street.  Good cigar shop right off Florida.  Also, some nice jewelry stores.  A gem only available in Buenos Aires - Inca Rose - followed my wife home.

Enjoy!

I have been wanting to go for quite sometime now.

Have listened to stories from family members that have traveled there for business, who absolutely loved it, the food, the music, the people, and of course the gems.  I even have a few that were brought back as presents.

then, one of my nieces was as an exchange student, and I thought for sure we would go for a visit, but when we suggested it, she was positive that her mother and I would embarrass her, so we did not go, but instead satisfied ourselves with her email accounts which she would only write in Spanish.  Luckily I can get by in Spanish.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...