19 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 8:29 AM by jerrycoin Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

London hotels and attractions

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Last trip I took the underground from Heathrow to the St. Pancras.  It cost all of ~5GBP each way.  Flew on United into Terminal 4, took the elevator down 1 level from the information counter, and it was a short walk through an underground passage to the ticket station, and entrance to the train.

Below is a link to the official underground map

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Checkin the Marriott map you can either get off at Westminister and walk across the bridge, or go past the hotel to Waterloo and walk back.  Marriott website estimates both as 0.1 miles from the hotel.

If you buy a London Transport Oyster Card (combines the London Pass with a 7-day Travelcard) it is good for free export and admissions at many sites (lised of top ones below and how much you save by using the card).

http://www.londonpass.com/london-transport/index.html?aid=20&gclid=CLm88tzXtbICFUJo4AodQUEAVA

http://www.visitbritainshop.com/usa/travel-transport/london-transport/product/london-visitor-oyster-card.html?utm_medium=ppc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=us_london_transport

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/lonch-london-marriott-hotel-county-hall/

1.Thames River Cruise£13.50
2.Tower of London£18
3.Westminster Abbey£16
4.London Bridge Experience!£23
5.Windsor Castle£17
6.St Paul's Cathedral£14.50
7.Shakespeare's Globe Theatre£12.50
8.Tower Bridge Exhibition£8.00
9.Hampton Court Palace£14.50
10.Churchill War Rooms£14.50

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall
  • Re: London hotels and attractions
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

GemPrincess,

This is good, very good!

Might I suggest going from County Hall, via Big Red Bus, to most of these spots (They offer a deal to Greenwich, or you can take a Thames River Cruise from Westminster).  The first stop I would make is The Tower of London, buying the admission to the Tower on the bus.  You have to request it at least one stop prior to The Tower, but it will save you lot of time.  I like to hit the Tower as soon as it opens, you really beat the tour busses that way.

Take the "Big Red Bus" all over key places and it is really a good deal! 

From County Hall you can walk to #1,3, and 10.  Also don't forget to walk to Buckingham Palace for the "Changing of the Guard"!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

jerry

More good stuff. I'm leaning foot, cruise, cab, and big red bus.

Gem

I don't know about you, but my head's hurting - wow. And to the frommer writer - well yeah, the only difference between the cards, is the bogos, the number of days, and the type of zones is a bit like saying the only difference between the restaurants is the food. Oh well, the Insiders have saved the day with terrific insights. Thanks to all

erc,

I hear you!

Mine is killing me.

I read through it all and simplified down to what seemed to be points to consider.

The threads on sites are packed with comments from those more dazed and confused than us.

erc,

So well put!

jasman Gold 5 Reviews

All good suggestions. For restos in London and most of the UK I recommend www.toptable.co.uk  Great information, reservations and even a discount or two. They also cover parts of eastern EU. This site is similar to Open Table in the US.

Good to know!

Am bookmarking as I like Open Table.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

This is fantastic!  Will need to reference this, next time I am back in the UK!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

A very nice and helpful thread GemPrincess for those of us planning a trip to London.  Like yourself we'll be taking UA so great to know a fast way to the underground.  Now if I can only figure out what hotel to look to spend a few reward points!   I haven't been to London since the late 60's and remember nothing more than the "Changing of the Guard".

Thanks so much.

IAHFLYR

I like the different London hotels for different things.

Grosvenor is very old London.

County Hall is very centrally located.

St. Pancras has the best train connections. Very easy to get to by underground from Heathrow, and the Eurostar is right there too!

So these are my favs!

GP,

Excellent!  My sentiments exactly!

The Professor has spoken very highly of The Renaissance on The East Side, and that would be a great place for "Experienced" travelers!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Good information again GemPrincess, thanks.

I've got my little folder of ideas starting to bulge quite a bit, now I just have to read my own writing again.

IA,

Well put!

The more we all can gather information on London, the better!  GP is a wonderful resource!

browncrew Gold 14 Reviews

The London Marriott Hotel Regents Park is nice, it a full service Marriott you can find any where. The St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel, It's great, by far the best place I've stayed in the London.

browncrew,

Good information and glad you shared this with us!

Location Brand Hotel
      London, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel
      London, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel County Hall

browncrew, I have never tried Regents Park.  What would you say is its main attraction?  Also, when I am staying at a property, I quite often check out the other Marriott locations in the area, just to see what they are like.  You never know when the info might come in handy.  Regardless of where you stay in London, I think St. Pancras is worth checking out, just to see where the Eurostar and national rail offices and platforms are, and to see the historic restorations they have done on this property.  While on my cruise, I was talking with a British couple, telling them how much I enjoyed the St. Pancras, the history, the convenience for train travel, and they were telling me there are many grand old hotels along British Rail lines, and that the St. Pancras was one of the 1st to be rennovated.  They suggested I might like to buy a British rail pass, and travel around, trying out these lovely old hotels.  The unrennovated ones apparently are very reasonably priced.  So Its on my bucket list!

browncrew Gold 14 Reviews

Regents Parkis in a quiet area. A short 4-5 minute walk from the tube. That's a big plus. The club level was the big reason I would stay there again. It was open every day I believe. food and drinks were good. Snakes and drinks all night. It might not be the biggest thing to some people but after long days of walking, it's nice to come back and have something. Everyone likes hot chocolate and snacks.

IMG_0844.JPGIMG_0840.jpg

andrew_p2 Member

I see you have already had a fantastic MRI response and may already have inspiration overload but here are a few more thoughts.

I would suggest County Hall as a pretty good all rounder as the location is great.  From here, you could take a walk along the South Bank (highly recommended in summer) or even head across Westminster Bridge towards Trafalgar Square (for example) and see many interesting things along the way.  If you like going for a stroll and seeing what you come across (which will be a lot), then this is ideal.  Of course, even better if you can bag a room with those iconic views of the Thames and Westminster.

As an alternative, I might suggest the Marriott on Grosvenor Square as it is in the heart of Mayfair and the Gordon Ramsay restaurant there (Maze) is well worth checking out.  Mayfair is an undeniably posh area and is probably a bit like the England some people may imagine (although completely unrepresentative of course).  It is close to lots of good shopping, theatre and restaurants so this could be a big draw.  I would choose this over the J.W. on Park Lane as I had a pretty shocking experience there involving blood on the bath robes, being double charged for lunch and feeling like I was being blamed for their shortcomings.  Elsewhere, the Renaissance looks great of you can get a Chambers Room (something like Club Level) but I'm told the others are best avoided.  The property in Regents Park has a little less wow factor than some of the others but is good value in a nice, reasonably quiet area with good transport connections. 

In terms of activities, here are some ideas:

• Book a theatre show (check out TKTS for bargains)
    • Afternoon tea (Lanesborough, Claridges or Ritz)
    • Borough market on Fri/Sat- atmospheric if touristy food market
    • Visit a good pub.  Avoid the ones in commercial or touristy areas as nobody lives there and you don't get the atmosphere.  If you stay at County Hall, there are some pretty good ones nearby hidden out of the way towards Kennington and Waterloo but worth researching beforehand.  Don't forget to try a pint of ale.
    • Brick Lane- some of the best curry in town (arguably) in a buzzy area with plenty of interest
    • Thames river cruise or Rib Experience (never done it but looks great).  Also consider the Duck Tour with the amphibious vehicle
    • The view from the Shard
    • Grab brunch at the Delaunay or Wolsey
    • Free museums
    • Check out Timeout/london for events etc.
    • Richmond including th deers in the park and chocolates from William Curley
    • Shopping (I'm not a fan of Oxford Street, would suggest heading to Covent Garden and check out Harvey Nichols or Harrods in Knightsbridge
    • Get an Oyster card- it will make your life easier

Hope that helps!

andrew_p2,

Great report and wonderful suggestions!

Am at C-H now, and will have some new photo's and information to pass on as well!

Recently did the "Sherlock Homes, Pub Crawl", and it was a lot of fun!  This was free and all you had to do is show your "Big Red", hop/on-off ticket!

Thanks again!  This is great!