15 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 5:56 PM by anadyr RSS

Japan mission trip-need some translations

madmax Gold 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be heading off the the Tsunami ridden areas of Japan May 20th and am interested in learning a few Japanese phrases or at least words that may be useful during the trip.

Since none of the people we will be in contact with speak English, we will have a translator to be the go between. However, it would be so nice to know some of the language for at least a little bit of personal communication. I have looked up some words online but they don't give the pronunciation, only the word.

Anyone out there versed in Japanese? I would like to know what the words are and how to pronounce the following:

Good morning!

Thank you!

Goodbye (I know Sayonara but there is an informal word used)

Very nice

Please

Also, if there are other words or phrases that could be useful, I'm all ears.

Any help would be nice thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Japan mission trip-need some translations
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thank you is Domo-Arigato, just like in the song "Mr. Roboto" that was on the "Kilroy Was Here" album by Styx in 1982.

That is all I know of the language however; by searching for those words/phrases you can find quite a few items that may also give you a sound bit to hear how it's pronounced.

Have a great time and enjoy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Domo arigato iahflyer. I should have remembered the Styx album.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

There is a great app called Lingolook JAPAN on iPhone, which features many English-to-Japanese phrases categorized by restaurants, transportation, hotels, money, shopping, etc.  In the app, you see the Japanese translation in text and when you press the phrase, you get to hear audio of how it is pronounced in Japanese.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Arigato anadyr. Very helpful. I think I might have been able to hear the translation on the website I was using if I had clicked on the word...just brain dead I guess.

Hearing is helpful, yes. Good luck on that mission trip too

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

yes, I am very excited. I travel to China, Hong Kong and Taiwan every year so I am exposed to that type of culture, but in a WHOLE different way since business travel in business class on airplane and Marriotts for hotel stays will not be on the list of luxuries on this trip lol

However very excited to see what God has planned for our group.

Our daughter has been on similar trips and you'll enjoy the joy of helping others when you go.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

I feel so blessed to have been able to be a part of this trip and be able to be on the same level as those in which our group will be in contact. I hope these people will be as blessed with a glimmer of hope when we offer to serve them for a brief period as I know our group will be in doing so. I am overseas every year but in a sheltered (or should I say pampered...business class flights; Marriott hotel stays) way. This time will be so much more rewarding as we are able to serve them by feeding them, doing crafting activities and general fellowship with them. Disaster Relief only finished their heavy duties of the Tsunami area last December and the people of this area that are living in temporary government housing have no hope of rebuilding their own homes anywhere in the near future.  

Your efforts will be rewarded by the smiles of those you help. Just giving hope to those in need would be enough, but giving your time and expertise go far beyond that.  It is a trip that pays everyone.  Congratulations.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Aloha madmax

Checking out a website would be great, and using Google Translate on your mobile device would be even better!  But...

Good Morning:  ohayo gozaimasu

Thank you:  As IAHFLYR has said, Domo Arigato.  More formal is Domo Arigato Gozaimasu.  Casual is simply Arigato

Goodbye:  Sayonara is correct.  Casual would be:  ja ne.  This is more like saying "see you"

Very Good:  Don't think there's an exact translations for this, but good is:  ii

Please:  Onegai shimasu.  There's not exact translation for please in Japanese.

Even with translations, I'd consult a native speaker/instructor.  Japanese language has a lot of subtleties to it and it's very easy to offend someone using translated words incorrectly because the meaning/context may be different from what we think

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Aloha kharada. Arigato. You are a peach and very helpful information. I'm going to load app on my phone so I can practice.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Madmax,

Here's a few more useful phrases:

Please                    Dozo (is what I remember.  (Please is sort of a wierd one.  I have also heard 'kudasai'.)

Good Afternoon     Kon'nichiwa     Cone-eech-ee-wa

Good Evening          Konbanwa     Cone-ban-wa

Welcome               Irashimase          Ear-ra-shy-mas-eh

Pleased to meet you     Hajemimashite     Ha-jay-me-mah-shtay

The pleasure is all mine     Dozo yoroshiku     Doe-zoe-your-osh-ee-ku

We used to use the word Joto     Joe-toe     for the word 'good.'

Which part of Japan are you going to?  When I lived there in the 80's, the caregiver for my infant daughter was a missionary from the states.  Very nice family.  The Japanese are wonderful people.  Though they often come across as very shy or even stand-offish, they are actually a quite warm and humorous bunch.  Japan is a relatively small piece of real estate that is heavily populated.  Thus, personal space and privacy is at a premium.  I think the reason that the Japanese appear to be very unfriendly (no eye contact or acknowledgemnt of others) in public is actually because they are putting up an invisible shield between themselves and their neighbors as a respectful means of giving others their privacy.  Sort of an "I don't see you or what you're doing" thing, which in effect gives the other person a greater sense of privacy.  The interior of many homes are still comprised of sliding walls made of rice paper, and rooms are converted by day or night for varying purposes.  Sound travels and light makes shadows.  Privacy is a big deal.  The women even cover their mouths when they laugh.  But once you get to know people individually, you find that they are delightfully friendly.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

You are so right pluto. I actually love the respectfulness they show to others. I think out of all the ethnic groups in which I have had contact, the Japanese are the most respectful, bowing to others and are very careful of how they treat others. That is why I wanted to get some words and phrases correct so that I would not offend anyone, yet be able to feel as if we were on the same level and not all having to go through a translator.

We will be in Iwate perfecture with base in Tono City which is not too far from Tokyo if I understood correctly.We will be travelling each day to different temporary housing areas so it will be a wonderful opportunity to get to know the area as well as the people. It has been a while since the Tsunami and still the people in those areas have no idea when they will be able to rebuild homes.

domo arigato!

m

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...