3 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 12:24 AM by curiousone RSS

So I've been away a while...

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Truth be told, I've missed this place somewhat, but not the overall Marriott "experience". Not that Hilton makes me quiver with anticipation at my next stay, but over the last several weeks around the country and across brands, my takeaway is that Hilton's game is a bit sharper than The House That JW Built. Sure, there are little things here and there that dissatisfy me, as well as some things that I look forward to with Hilton, but I am smart enough to credit much of it to the relative "newness" to me of the properties; less of the same old, same old, as it were.

I passed my Diamond Challenge last week, and hold that status now through March 2015.  I'll see what—if any—difference that makes, and report back. I'm still not putting Marriott behind me, not by a long shot.  In point of fact, I've got reservations at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort and Spa for July 28—August 2. No, it's business, and nearly walking distance from the client. I don't like resorts, beaches, or Hawaii, so this is punishment, not pleasure. I am taking the missus though, as she's been bugging me for 35 years about going, so she gets a week of island life. Serves her right.  I was dismayed to find that on top of the stupid resort fee (gives me free wifi and newspaper which I should already get, a Mai Tai which I won't drink, and a couple other useless items of no interest), the spa is a contract operation, so getting a Marriott spa certificate does me no good as they don't accept them. They've been devalued recently as well (what hasn't?). I need to also rethink the rental car; $32 a day to park is a bit steep. And people go here for fun?

Until next time...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: So I've been away a while...
    painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Welcome back old friend.....glad to hear from you. I have a feeling that the points devaluation move took a lot out of the regulars on here. I pop in once and a while, but not nearly as much as before. I'm hoping the bad taste eventually goes away, but it's still lingering.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Yes, Welcome back!

Always like to hear from other travelers!  Please let us know where you have been and give us suggestions!

curiousone Platinum

All the recent uproar about the Marriott devaluation caused me to signup with Hilton. I got the Citi Hilton Reserve VISA card so I am HH Gold as long as I have the card. I have only been to 3 Hiltons since joining HH and do not find significant differences. I am glad that I joined HH since there are places that I travel that do not have Marriotts. It is nice to have the flexibility of a second chain.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...