4 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 2:56 PM by pluto77 RSS

New member question -- possible to use points earned but not yet posted?

hst124 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I'm staying in a Marriott Execustay property and paid the bill about a week ago for the first month of my stay.  I'm traveling this weekend and was hoping to use the points I earned from this bill on a hotel room (I should have enough points for a free night), but the points earned from it have not posted yet.  I called customer service to see if they could get the points posted ASAP so that I can use them, and the woman I spoke with said the earliest she could get them posted would be Monday.  So, my question is can I stay at a Marriott property this weekend, pay for it, and have the points applied to the stay retroactively once they post on Monday?  Just curious...  Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New member question -- possible to use points earned but not yet posted?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

hst124,

I've never attempted to do it, but I'm 99.9% certain that the answer is no.  Cash is King.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

richard37075 Platinum

If you happen to be Platinum, I believe you can borrow points for a reservation.  I am pretty sure that I have been told that by a customer service agent in the past, but I can not find any documentation online to verify that.  But, I would agree with Pluto about not having much of a chance.  Nothing happens quickly regarding Marriott points.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Hi Richard,

I'm curious, when you say that you can borrow points for a reservation, do you mean that you can make a points reservation without having enough points in your rewards account (prior to the stay), or do you mean you can actually execute a point stay without having enough points in your rewards account?

erc Platinum

I would share richard's and pluto's non-optimistic view, especially with regard to a 'corporate policy' viewpoint. With little to lose, you could call the property you want to try this at and see if they would allow you to try this strategy (low odds), if you backed it up with your credit card in case the points didn't post on Monday (high odds) - that's why I said little to lose, you would have to pay (so know the cash rate going in) if the Hail Mary strategy didn't work (high odds). Marriott is infamous for at times being consistently inconsistent when it comes to policy application (like Richard's example of borrowing points), so you might be able to cut a deal at the property level, but it would be an exception.

Also, just as a side note, which you probably already know/have calculated - the Execustay earns at a lower point ratio that other properties (also earns less nights toward status). It would be a shame if everything fell into place and it turned out you didn't have enough points, so make certain you have the right calculation (high odds).

If you call the property, keep us posted on how it went. Good luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...