3 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2013 7:49 PM by jerrycoin RSS

The Play's the Thing

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'll have grounds
More relative than this—the play's the thing
Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King.

Exclaims Hamlet.

So we're just back from New York City where we saw seven plays. (in seven days).

Here are my mini-reviews

OnceFantastic and highly recommended for the acting but more for the music

Mathilda:  As good as the book, and worth seeing kids do so well on stage, the school principal is fantastic.

Peter and the Starcatcher: Now Just Off Broadway but hysterically funny with great puns. Phythonesque.

Trip to Bountiful:  Watching 88 year old Cecile Tyson was worth everything.  And Vanessa Williams is just evil enough.

Kinky BootsHmmm?  Guess that I liked it, and the music by Cyndi Lauper made up for the acting.

Nice Work if you can Get it:  George and Ira's music still reverberates in my head, an using Rhapsody in Blue for scene changes was wonderful.

Newsies:  Disney goes old school and old New York.  For a good time and predictable plot that is.

Ticket prices have soared to new levels. Not unusual to see $159-$179 for an orchestra seat.

Book of Mormon is still the hardest ticket to get.

Two plays closed in the week we were there.

The amount of phone texting during  plays still exceeds common sense and common courtesy. In the lead in to Kinky Boots, an actor comes on stage with a menacing look and tells the audience to put their phones away or else...a good trick. People were seen videoing the stage and some of the action.  Not a good idea. And ILLEGAL.

Best lead-in to a play was the open for Once, which features an Irish Bar (is there any other kind worth going to?) in Dublin, and drinks are poured for audience members while some of the cast begin a round of great Irish songs, eventually leading into the play itself.

Of course, New York is still a great place to spend your children's inheritance quickly.  We're trying.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, USA
Copenhagen, Denmark Marriott Hotels & Resorts Copenhagen Marriott Hotel
  • Re: The Play's the Thing
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Great report!

I still don't see what was so great about "Book of Mormon"!   But everyone else seemed to like it but me!

Wow, that was a busy schedule!

Thanks again!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

We tried for the lottery and like Powerball we stood no chance of winning.  I guess the best review of that play I have seen was from a friend who is actually a member of the LDS Church (the Mormons) and loved it!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Yes, we all have our such differences of opinions.  But this "Million Dollar Quartet" was really fun!  BTW, here is a photo of "Hamlets Castle" just North of Copenhagen!

01-19-2013 03;15;38PM.JPG

This was a great tour!  What a wonderful day!

Location Brand Hotel
        Copenhagen, Denmark Marriott Hotels & Resorts Copenhagen Marriott Hotel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...