93 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2013 9:00 AM by mksmith13 RSS

May 2013 "Unexpected Bonus" (mega style)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just checked Promotion Central link on the website. A new promo is now available. Titled Unexpected Bonus. Time frame May 15-Sept 2.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: May 2013 "Unexpected Bonus" (mega style)

Added info.....My promo is a max of 45,000 points for 25 nights.

My daughter has a max of 2 free nights, Cat1 thru 5 certs, for every 2nd stay. So, it appears the certs have been upgraded to 5 status with the upcoming changes, but limited to 2 vs 3.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

pp,

thanks for the information.

good to see that the certificates are including category 5 hotels.

only downside, is that come next year some of those hotels that have moved from category 4 to 5 may well be on the move again to 6!

SG

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

After being generously rewarded by Marriott Rewards Insiders management over the past year, I truly did feel conflicted over my earlier posts in which I passionately voiced my disappointment and lamentations regarding the 2013 devaluation of points and hotel categories, even though I could not help myself as the disappointment was deeply felt.  So when I read the email notification of Pained's post regarding the unexpected bonus promotion, and that the promotion had been changed to include cat. 5 hotels, I was thrilled, and thought that perhaps Marriott was listening after all.  I signed in just so that I could happily praise Marriott.  But alas I find that the 'unexpected promotion' that I am being offered is only for the cat. 1-4 certificates.    (Which I cannot use now, because of the hotel category increases).

I'm thankful for the opportunity to earn something extra during peak travel season, don't get me wrong about that.  It's just that what's the point of earning something you can't use?

My Spring megabonus promotion is for Cat. 4 certs also.  I called MR support and asked to have it switched to Cat. 5.  They told me 'yes,' for which I felt very lucky, as it is descretionary - many are told 'no' (and I may be told 'no' for this new one), but I have to call MR support back after the promotion ends to remind them to switch my cat. 4 certs earned to cat. 5 certs earned, because they have to do it manually (it can't be done within the automated system).  What a pain for me, what a pain for Marriott.  I will call again to see if Marriott will upgrade my unexpected bonus promotion offer to a Cat. 1-5 (read as: beg).

painedplatinum, your daughter is a gold member, right?  So am I.  So why the difference in offers?  Marriott, c'mon now.  Who thinks this stuff up?

Pluto,  Yes, she's Gold for Marriott, but she's the highest category for me.

I used to try to figure out who got offered what..for these promo's. I give up.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Thanks Pluto.

Called and they will change mine too.  However, I will only get 2 cat 5s as opposed to 3 cat 4s.

Glad they changed it for you.  2 of something useful is better than 3 of nothing useful, at least.

So right.  By the way, I will be returning on Aug 10 as opposed to 11th.  So hope to meet you at Newport.

I look forward to it!

I may get dinged by the posting police, but I just happened on a Lyle Lovett fb post.  Speaking of August dates, he's going to be in the Los Angeles/San Diego area between Aug. 9th and 14th.  Any day is a good day for a Lyle concert in my book (if anyone has never seen him perform live, do it once and you'll be hooked).  Lyle and Willie Nelson will be at the Hollywood Bowl the 9th/10th.  Lyle and his large band will be in San Diego on the 14th.  Since I've only heard his acoustic band, I may have to stick around for the large band performance in SD.  Yippee!  The summer just got that much better.)

gobluetwo Gold 1 Reviews

Excellent, I'll also have to contact them to change mine.  I, too, would rather have two Cat 1-5 certs than three Cat 1-4 certs.  Lately, I've been staying at more Hiltons and Kimptons due to convenience (location) and company preference, but I could go out of my way to stay at a Marriott for this promo

At times, I can't believe what I do for a promotion.  I do like them and am glad that they are increasing the cat to a 5.  With the devaluation, the 4s are worth little.

They switched mine as well.  The associate was very nice about it.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I just got through calling and registration begins tomorrow, which I should have seen, but I was really calling to ask why they had given us the one they did anyway.  The promo is officially "Mid-Summer Global Promotion" or something similar.  (I think it was longer than that, actually.)

There is no rhyme nor reason to me, either.  We were offered the 2 cert. for cat. 1 - 5.  Why do that when we stay every night anyway?

The bonus notification was in the upper left corner of the promo page on our promo acct. page and has a picture of a cabana.  It's called "Unexpected Bonus" on the page, too.

This makes no sense.  You are staying at a Marriott every night of the year and what are you to do with free night certificates.  They need to come up with more ideas to reward people like you.

We use the points because we stay at other places, too.  That's how we had 398 stays last year.  My husband is still in the room while he's working while our son and I stayed in Cola., SC for a special event with some of his friends and then we came on to the beach.  I'll leave him at their house while I go back to AL to stay a week and then we'll go back to Cola. to pick him up and go on to Gat., TN for the vacation my husband has to take every 3 months in order not to lose any accumulation.

I used over 500 K in points last year buying the e-cheques for 135 K points at 4 different times.  I was using points quite a bit before that on individual stays.  I'd rather have 45 K points for 25 nights than 2 certificates for 4 stays because the certificates expire and we haven't stayed in many cat. 5 places.  Even when I do, I get the lowest rates, like $99 for the night on weekends in the Dallas Ren.

What I really resent is being assigned the 2 certificates when they have our history.  And then people think it's targeted?  Not to my way of thinking.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Very interesting, I check and find nothing new for me in promotion central, just the same 40,000 bonus that ends tomorrow.  It even says no new promotions right under my promotion central icon.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

I almost missed it too.  I had to go into promotions and over on the left side of the page were a couple of new promotions that I had to Register to be entered into.  I too got the Cat 1-5 stays, and I think that might be based on the fact that I usually don't stay very mant times during the summer.  See if you find those promos on the left side of your page?

gobluetwo Gold 1 Reviews

Thanks, I missed it also until I saw your post.  My T&C shows up to 3 free nights at Cat 1-4 hotels.  So looks like the promo is varied and targeted. 

1. Registration is required.
        2. Marriott Rewards members who register for this promotion by July 31, 2013 will earn one (1) free night award at a category 1-4 hotel after each second paid stay made between May 15 and September 2, 2013, at a participating Marriott property.
        3. Maximum three (3) free night awards earned with this promotion per member.
        4. A stay is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
        5. The member receiving this offer has been specifically targeted and the offer is not transferable.
        6. An earned free night award can be redeemed for a future stay at participating Marriott Rewards category 1-4 properties for one (1) free night.
        7. Free night award will expire one (1) year after the date of issuance.
        8. An earned free night award is good for one (1) single or double occupancy standard room only and includes the cost of the hotel room and applicable room taxes only.
        9. An earned free night award will be added to the member’s account within 3-5 business days after the second qualifying stay.
        10. Awards are not transferable and may not be given as a gift.
        11. Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit.
        12. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay.
        13. Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
        14. Participating brands include JW Marriott®, EDITION®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, AC Hotels by MarriottSM, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Gaylord Hotels®, Courtyard by Marriott®, SpringHill Suites by Marriott®, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®, Residence Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites by Marriott® and Marriott Vacation Club.
        15. Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
        16. All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
        17. Visit MarriottRewards.com/UnexpectedBonus, call 888-MARRIOTT (627-7468), or call your local Marriott Rewards Customer Support office for complete details.

Not targeted at all.  Maddening!!!

• Register by July 31, 2013
          • Stay twice at any participating hotel between May 15 and September 2, 2013
          • Earn one free night after every second paid stay, up to two free nights
          • Enjoy your free nights at any category 1-5 hotel worldwide

This bonus season, expect big things—and earn even bigger.     (Joke, right?!!!)

Nights Earned

Nights Stayed:119
          Bonus Nights Earned:321

This is our account so far this year, so how are 2 certificates after 4 stays "targeting"?

tryt53,

Here is all I see when I look at the far left side of the page:

Promotion Central

New Promotions

No new promotions.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

I agree with gobluetwo, the Unknown Bonus promotion definitely seems targeted. I received it also. Mine is similar to the megabonus, but with my new one its a free Cat 1-5 night after two paid stays instead of the usual Cat 1-4.  My only suggestion would be to contact CS to see if they can set you up.

I just did that very thing ks77.  In the past I'd hear of these bonus offerings from other MR folks at work or a resort possibly only to find I wasn't part of the "target" group so I'm looking forward to CS reply.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I sincerely hope they are able to give you the promotion that works best for you.

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

NathalieF, any idea of why IAHFLYR might not see the bonus offer yet?

I've been blacklisted!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

LOL, not at all. Contact Customer Care or call 888-Marriott (627-7468).

I emailed them about 45 minutes back asking why I don't see it so we shall see.  If I don't get a response in a day or two I will call.

Thanks much.

Just got an email from CS and here is what it contained:

Your account has been enrolled in the 2013 Mid-Year Summer Global Promotion.  Earning dates begin May 15, 2013, and end September 2, 2013.  You have been selected to receive a bonus of 35,000 Marriott Rewards points when you stay a total of 20 paid nights.  You can receive an additional bonus of 10,000 Marriott Rewards points, up to a maximum bonus of 45,000 points, when you stay a total of 25 paid nights.  You may track your progress through our website at MarriottRewards.com.

Elite nights earned through other promotions that appear as non-stay nights in your account do not qualify for this promotion.  Incidental credit, redemption stays and timeshare owner stays during a designated owner week are not eligible for promotion credit.

Thanks for the heads up painedplatinum or I like some others here would never have known about the promotion.  Still waiting to find out from CS why this wasn't automatically loaded into my account.

My pleasure....we all like to be ready to go for the promo's. Looks like quite a few were experiencing the glitches of roll out this time.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I have this same promotion.

mksmith13 Platinum 2 Reviews

I, too, had a link in my account on the unexpected bonus. When I clicked the link, I received a page with the following:

"A Note About This Promotion

We’re sorry, but there was an error in directing you to this promotion.

The reason for this error could be:

• You’re trying to access a miles promotion and are a points-earner, or vice versa
                    • You are not eligible for this promotion
                    • This promotion has expired"

I have contacted customer care and am awaiting a response....

fhllast4ever Platinum

Thanks for making these certificates Cat 1-5 ---finally!

Now, how about deleting those expiration dates?

toader Platinum 2 Reviews

I also don't see the offer - Lifetime Platinum and cashed in 100,000 point already this year due to the two previous MegaBonus promos.  Will have to give them a call.  They may feel that they have given me enough already!

Maybe it's the lifetime Plats they decided to leave off of it until you query them.

toader Platinum 2 Reviews

When I call the CR number, the automatic voice response asked for my number to enter me into the promotion.  Confirmed with the agent later on in the call.  Similar to MegaBonus for me - 30K points for first 20 nights, an additional 15K for 5 more nights.

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

IAH, I didn't receive an offer either.  I guess I will need to take the time to call, too.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

This new promotion is another devaluation of points received for nights stayed. So, when you factor in it takes MORE ponts to stay at properties after May 15 and they are giving us LESS points per stay for the new promotion, it adds up to a double poke in the eye for their best customers.

To wit:

Promo ending April 30 gave us 40,000 points for 20 paid nights or 2000 points extra per night to max out the promo.

New Promo gives us 45,000 points for 25 nights or 1800 points extra per night to max out the promo.

No doubt in my mind that the 'scorched earth' policy is in full force and effect with the ivory tower beancounters at this juncture.

Of course, just my opinion.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Here is my Promo..its a little different from everyone else here who posted:

Earn up to 35,000 bonus points when you stay at any of our 3,600+ hotels worldwide with Marriott Rewards® Unexpected Bonus.

To earn your bonus points:

• Register by July 31, 2013
    • Stay 15 paid nights at any participating hotel between May 15 and September 2, 2013
    • Earn 25,000 bonus points, plus an additional 10,000 points after 20 paid nights (up to 35,000 points)

This bonus season, expect big things—and earn even bigger.

seattlebb Platinum

I Just registered...thanks for posting!  (Cat  1-5).

cjkatl Platinum

The bonus offered is a bummer. It's a slap in the face. If the offer given to those who stay a few measly nights was going to be Cat 5 certs, the points given for slogging out 25 nights should have been at least 50k points, not a point amount below the lesser offer. Marriott is making it very clear they don't value those of us who would stay 25 nights as much as those who stay a few measly nights a quarter. C'mon Marriott...correct your mistake and increase the points awarded to those of us who are actually very good customers and pay to stay in your hotels 25 times a quarter, or you run the risk of alienating us. While your insult may not have been intentional, it is still an insult.

Couching it terms of "sweetening the points offered" in light of points devaluation and this being a lesser that that offered to those who stay a few nights only makes it worse. It makes it appear you know you need to put lipstick on the pig, but we can all still see it's a pig.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I really agree with these comments.  2 Category 5 nights are worth 50,000 points so it makes perfect sense that staying the max (25 nights) should at least earn 50,000 points.

The biggest advantage with the points is that they don't expire (like the certificates), but I think the number of points should be increased for both the first level (20 nights) and the max (25 nights) for customers in the points promotion.

It is indeed an insult to those of us who stay a lot of nights.  I called a bit ago and asked to be changed to the points from the 2 certificates offered.  I was put on hold a couple of times to get a supervisor to approve the change because there were a couple of "different defaults".  She also told me that our promotion was designed to get us to stay at different locations rather than just the one place for 365 nights a year.  Can you imagine?!!!  To me, that is audacious.  I told her that was pretty unscrupulous of them to decide to try to get more of our money that way.  She said it wasn't designed to get more of our money, just to get us to stay more nights. 

My son came in and told me to just ask to speak to her supervisor.  I was put on indefinite hold without any music even and had to hang up and redial again.  The supervisor, Kirstyn (sp.) was very apologetic and patient to listen and be so sweet when I told her that rewards was consistently trying to set us up with something less than what I considered to be appropriate for their loyal customers and told her that a year or 2 ago, Dejamo had left for that reason and had lots of co-workers who stayed lots of nights each year and was telling us how great the rewards were at Hilton and other chains.  I told her that rewards was NOT helping the PR for Marriott with their money grubbing, shiftless ways of coercing and rewarding in a less than honorable way to their customers.

We stay at a lot of different places.  This week, we were at MB, SC and got the stay extended for 3 days when they moved the inventory so that nobody was staying in our villa.  It's so peaceful here.  We're staying right on the intercoastal waterway and look out the window at some of the barges, trawlers, yachts, sea-doos, speedboats, and sailboats that go past.  I like hearing the barges chugging down the waterway in the night and to see all of their lights at the back.  Some of the sightseeing speedboats and cruisers come by, also.  We leave the sliding doors open and turn on the ceiling fans to get the air from the coolness outside.  I can also open the curtains in the master BR and watch the water traffic at night or open the door to the screened porch from the BR, turn on the ceiling fan, and get the fresh air when it's in the low 70's like this.

In a couple of weeks, it's Gatlingburg for a week at another resort.  We were planning on staying in Cola., but there's a big event there for that week and it's already booked.  If it wasn't for the e-cheques we need to use up before December, I'd probably look for another chain to stay at since I'm getting really upset with Marriott.

IAHFLYER, I'd rather not be signed up and just get to sign up for what I wanted rather than to go through the hassle of calling, waiting until September and wondering whether they're actually going to do as they say.  Several of us have requested that in the past, so to me, you were the lucky one to be able to sign up for what you wanted.  It was a bit unnerving to wonder why you weren't offered anything at the beginning, I'm sure.  I wish they would make that "mistake" and let each of us choose the reward we wanted.    

erc Platinum

Pained et al.

Thanks for the heads up, again, a real value of Insiders. Like tryt and IAH (who really is blacklisted, they don't like aviators, I checked, but don't tell him, it will hurt his feelings ) I didn't receive any promo, anywhere. So calling the number Andy provided and an 8 minute wait after the robot said he would transfer me to an agent, I spoke to a competent customer service rep who guided me thru the process. She politely placed me on hold and entered the matrix of Marriott goodies, minutes later coming back and saying, "ok, all taken care of, you've got the 35 nights for x points (once I heard 35 nights I zoned out). I asked if I could change it to the two stays for certificates to which she said (again, all very nice, we were getting along fabuously) "ok, let me put you on hold once more and I'll get right back to you". A few minutes later she came back on, saying, "whew, marketing really hates these changes" (in a pleasant fashion, as if she had already handled scores of manual changes), ok, all taken care of. You have the promotion where two stays earns you a Cat. 4 up to two certificates".  Holy cow, I had just received a genetically modified megabonus. Using my 'Insider' knowledge (I was willing to take three 4's or two 5's) I said, "hey I'm reading on Insiders blah, blah, blah. Once again on hold, this time with feeling, and then a return with good news, I am the participant (manually, mind you - meaning I better call back in Sept. and hope my rep is still gainfully employed by Marriott and in a good mood etc etc) of the "carve 'em up, like you like 'em" Extra MegaBonus. I'm so excited that I get to play and thankful I had the 29 minutes required to craft the deal (which I do - no sarcasm intended). I can just picture jkernitzki, fighting a cold, at an airport lounge of his fifth trip of the week, trying to put together a mega-bonus deal, wheeee doggies, having some fun tonight.

I have found the key to happiness for maximizing value with the ol' rewards program, it comes from a MadTV comedy sketch:

But I remain thankful I stumbled onto this post, because I had nada, zip, squat, before, so at least I can combine some local events with a SpringHill breakfast - it's all good.

You have a good attitude, Erc.  I wish I shared it.  This begging and switching and calling back after-the-fact business is ridiculous.

"Marketing hates these changes."  You're darn tootin'.  It's because the changes "out" their fouled strategy. 

Hey erc, wish I had asked you to negotiate for me.    I need to call and I hope I get the same results as you.

I just spoke with a very pleasant customer service agent who was able to sign me up for one of the promotions targeted for platinum members, then changed it to one of the free night for 2 stays promotion which will best meet our summer travel needs. 

What promos are targeted for platinum?

My thought is that would be for the points, but my husband was given the 2 stays until I asked for the points.

Don't tell him anything just let him figure it all out for himself, I don't want to be the blacklisted guy!

dejamo Platinum

Shame on you erc.............

Didn't you chastise me last year when I called them "robots" ?

LOL

erc Platinum

Guilty as charged Horton   Keep on keepin' my good pal from the dark side.

(of course mine was an actual robot)

nicolai185 Platinum

So assuming you have no problem staying in Tier 4 hotels, it seems like the very best deal here would be to get the 3 nights for a tier 1-4 hotel.  If you stay at 3 tier 4 hotels - that's the equivalent of 60,000 rewards points.  The other two main options here look like 2 tier 5 hotels (50,000 points) or 45,000 points.  Is this logic correct?

This also assumes that I can call and get my promo switched from 45,000 points to 3 tier 1-4 nights.

nicolai185 Platinum

My promo is 35,000 points after 20 nights and 45,000 total points after 25 nights total.

I called Marriott Rewards and spoke to a representative (after going through the automated system).  She confirmed that I was signed up for the promotion and I told her I had a friend who got 1 free night after every 2 paid stays with a max of 3 nights.  She said that rewards are determined by the marketing department and it's not very easy for her to change them herself.  However - she volunteered to call and after just a few minutes came back and said everything was taken care of.  My new rewards are 1 free night after every two paid stays with a max of 3 nights (tier 1-4 hotels).  She said the online system will not display this information, but she will personally go in at the end of the promotional period and change my reward and remove any points I may have earned as a result of my old promo.  She also said I could call in at any time if I need the free stays sooner and have completed the requirements and any Marriott representative would be able to help me because there would be a note on my account.

Total time - start to finish - 9 minutes on the dot.  However, I agreed to take a survey after the call (which may or may not have helped my cause ;-) ).  I could have hung up of course, but I took it anyway for a total time of 12:30.  Not bad.

nic,

Your numbers are correct...in theory, 3 certs for cat 1-4 hotels is better than 2 for cat 5 or 45,000 points. The problem most folks have is that the cat 4 hotels are going the way of the payphone...hard to find.  Also, there are folks that can hit the 25 night plateau and prefer to get the 45,000 points for flexibility.

nicolai185 Platinum 2 Reviews

It's iffy on whether I'll hit that 25 night plateau before Sept 1 as my travel slows down in the summer months, so this worked well for me.  I also like to travel to places like Denver - which have a bunch of great 4 tier hotels.