18 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2013 11:16 PM by bpelican RSS

Suggested changes for Platinum rewards members

greenit Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Good afternoon,

I would like to suggest the following changes to the Platinum and Platinum Premier status.

Platinum status

Currently, the only tangible benefit after gold is the 48 hour guaranteed reservation and award at check in.  The rest are nice but nothing special.  Special is the key.  As a platinum guest not by use of credit card by nights in beds that is the most important thing. 

To make us feel more special while at the property, I would suggest the following (looking for more)

1. Points stays earn qualifying nights (help keep our status as we are butts in bed)
  2. Variation in the platinum gift.  Food or 500 points is very stale at each hotel.  VARRY IT!  Marriott has great regional hotels, give us something from that region.  I don't need points and I do not need a bigger gut.  I would love a massage or other things that pamper me when I am away from my family.
  3. Cat 1-4 or 1-5 certificates can be translated into room discounts, spa treatments, or transferable to others.  We are already at the hotels.  I don't need incentives to stay more, rather I need things that make the stays even nicer.
  4. Upgrades without amenities are kind of worthless.  Example: I loved being upgraded to a two bedroom suite because it had a fireplace.. but it was overkill as I am only one person.  If I got the standard good view room but was given amenities like spa treatments, tickets to local events, movie tickets... I am already there.  Take care of me. 
  5. Have the managers make a point of learning your name.  This would require us to upload a picture with our profile.  it would be great to be recognized upon check in

I hope others add to my suggestions.  

I would love to see some additions to the Platinum and higher status that does not encourage us to stay more (we are already doing that) but rather make it easier to keep our status through stays (not credit cards) and more importantly make the stay nicer.  Small things matter more than possibility of upgrades.

I hope you like the theme from someone who was on the road more than 30 weeks last year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Suggested changes for Platinum rewards members
    taxman415 Platinum

I like your thinking... "and more importantly make the stay nicer." - This is it in a nutshell...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

First greenit, 30 weeks of travel simply means you need to cut down on travel!

I completely agree with posting that Platinum guests should be given more than Golds.  I haven't checked in a long time, but I imagine the step up from Silver to Gold is much more than Gold to Platinum.

Something that could be offered under your #2, rather than points or food/wine offer free parking for a night or more of the stay.  Parking rates at some hotels are simply stupid based upon the demand for space as well as other issues, I hate paying for it.

You've got some good ideas, I hope to come back with more as well as see what others posts include.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Good ones--I would hope that Marriott can make Platinum more than Gold Plus, which it is now.

1. I would forget the arrival gift and just give us 1000 points, 1500 for life Plats and PPs. I guess I have never been a fan of the gifts at FS hotels anyway.
    2. I would allow Platinum members to have the first three award stays in a year accrue EQNs, assuming there's a need to get to 75 again.
    3. I would follow the lead of other chains and have a set number of suite upgrades per year based on availability, reserved 48 hours in advance too.
    4. Create, where possible, a Platinum Elite checkin space, or room, to get away from the crowds.
    5. And on and on.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I think that platinum's should get more than gold's too.  with the devaluing of points, 500 or worse 200 at FFIs  in worth less.

I like giving us free parking.  I hate paying for it.  I guess in many hotels it is outsourced.

I arrived at a hotel late and there was 1 person checking people in.  There was a sign for Elite members.  I went over there and called over to the one front desk person, asking if as a platinum, I should wait there for check in and was told yes.  Then every one in line started complaining that they were there first and the clerk backed off and I had to wait the half hour or so to be checked in.  so much for that.

We could all come up with suggestions but is there a Marriott ear to hear us?

spa_guy Platinum

Greenit; I have never met a  General Manager who didn't wan't to know a Platinum's name and face.

Introduce yourself, because that is the key to getting many of the "experience enhancing" things you are asking Corp. Marriott to provide.

I have had some great xtra's thrown in that cost little money.

Belgium Marriot Chef taught me how to make the scrambled eggs served in the lounge. (These are not the rubbery eggs in Chaffing containers that we get here in the States! Just made more fresh regularly to feed a crowd)

San Diego Gaslamp, brought me theraflu when I fell ill

Cambridgeshire UK parking attendant  "refreshed" my skills with a stick shift, on the left hand side of the road; in a turnabout

Heidelberg Marriott sent me on my way with Round trip Tram tickets to the best German brewery in town.

I can go on, but I think it will be a stretch to get spa discount's etc. (I have tried most of them from Mariott's property. they are usually outsourced, like the parking comment.)

I would like to see as a Platinum member:

Better way to reward the employees from a Platinum persp. than what's available now!

Bump up the 500 gift points to 1000/1500.

A free bike to travel locally; where it makes sense regarding the property.

No more serving rubbery eggs in the lounge in the am.

Dog's allowed after paying premium deposit, in all Mariott Hotels.

russb Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree.  Also add.

1. Free Breakfast even on weekends when the concierge lounge is closed.

2. Free parking.

3.  Points AND gift.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

These are all great suggestions. I would like to add: 1. A real upgrade, suite, corner room, etc. Just getting a room where you dont trip over the toliet when you get out of the shower would be appreciated 2.Complimentary overnight shoe shine 3. A smile and a true welcome when you check in and a true good bye and hope to see you again when you check out. These cost little to nothing adn go so far in making us all feel what we want - valued and appreciated

bikesdestroy Platinum 1 Reviews

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Marriott Rewards needs to focus on what it already promises, and, pay attention to the details, before they try to expand their Reward Member's benefits.

Here is an example:

greenit - The very first thing you listed, the 48 hour guarantee etc... is not a real benefit.

Here is the rule as written on this website:

"48-Hour Guaranteed Availability

Traveling on short notice? We guarantee you'll always have a room for any paid stay. Just make a reservation at least 48 hours before arrival at any of our 3,600 participating hotels (Excluding Marriott Vacation Club. At Residence Inn and TownePlace Suites, applies to Studios only.) This offer may not be available during certain limited dates or special events, so be sure to check on this when you book."

If I am reading that correctly, Marriott guarantees me a room, then immediately following that guarantee, states in a disclaimer that in case Marriott can't guarantee me a room, that it is because the "offer" may not be available.  Can they be any more ambiguous? Is it a guarantee, or is it an offer?  There is a difference.

From merriam-webster.com: Guarantee - an assurance for the fulfillment of a condition.

I've just been denied a room in State College, PA, for the period 25 May-29 May 2013.  I tried calling the PP line, I tried calling called the property... no dice.

It would seem that with 15 days notice (only 48 hours required), Marriott can not, and will not, guarantee a room in my destination city... even with my 2,750+ nights stayed  super duper plutonium lifetime status.

Now, I want to be part of the solution, and not just the part of the complainer.... but I'm scratching my head on this one.

So my recommendation to Marriott Rewards on behalf of Platinum, PP, and LP's, stands at 'Just do what you say you will do'.

Troy

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

While I do dream of better benefits, these suggestions just aren't feasible.

While I too balk at parking fees, I am realistic enough to know that large city properties don't have their own facilities but have made arrangements with local garages and lots. I wouldn't expect the hotel to comp parking fees at these hotels. Now on the other hand, there are hotels that are out in the middle of nowhere yet charge for self parking in their lot. That I can see as a benefit.

Free massages, you have got to be kidding. Is there any hotel program that gives a benefit like that? Didn't think so. A benefit like that would cost some properties more than you are spending on the room. Same goes for spa treatment, get real.

Suite upgrades would be nice but I can understand that if a guest checks in for four days and the one suite in the hotel is booked for one of those nights that they can't give it to you unless you agree to switch rooms the second night. I wouldn't do it, perhaps others would.

It's not realistic for a manger to learn and memorize every Platinum guests name. Imagine how many Plats are checked into the Marquis or World Center at any one time.

Breakfast on the weekends would be a nice touch. It doesn't have to be a full breakfast, even a Continental (which is what Gold & Plats are entitled to during the week in hotels w/o lounges) would be nice.

Sorry people, but most of these suggestions are pie in the sky and aren't realistic. Hotels offer elite guests benefits and services which don't cost them that much to provide, but some of these suggestions, such as personal massages, cost real money.

My only wish list item is to be upgraded to a larger room on a regular basis, something that has been in short supply as of late.

navy82 Platinum

Great PP recognition ideas.  Here is one more...

Bring back discounted Marriott Rewards Cheques, or at the least discounts to PP members on Marriott Gift Cards.  Current Gift Cards are terribly over priced.

cptmars Silver 3 Reviews

1. All members should enjoy free internet in room.

2. Platinum members should be offered more.

3. I as a new member expect to be offered an upgrade to larger room when available. I do not have to wait until I reach a higher level because I am already at that level with a competitor.

4. As a member always offer me a rate comparable to a local competitor - 2 of my last 3 stays were at a competitor because of the rate. Would have loved to stay at a Marriott but not going to pay 10% more to do so.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

dstein Platinum

My best suggestion: Free or discounted dry cleaning at hotels that offer it. I was staying at a TownePlace in Omaha, and because of a minor mixup, they offered to dry clean some of my stuff for free. I thought -- what if this could be a perk for Platinum status, especially for extended stays. I threw in some dress shirts and a suit, and it was brought back the next morning perfect!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

LIke all your ideas for improvement.  More flexibility in Platinum rewards would be great.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...