2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2013 8:12 AM by boldie24 RSS

Using Free Night Awards

jrhonig Silver
Currently Being Moderated

My husband and I both have Marriott VISA cards and we each get an annual free night.  However, we live just outside NYC and while we'd LOVE to use the free night awards in Manhattan every Marriott is above Category 5.  I've called a particular property I wanted to stay at (NY Marriott East Side Category 7) and said we'd be willing to use both of our free nights (ie, 2 nights in a Category 4) for just 1 night in their property which was a Category 7.  I was told it couldn't be done because the hotel wouldn't get reimbursed.

We don't travel much and were hoping to do this for my birthday.  Is there some way we could do this?  Especially because I know the hotel has rooms available.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using Free Night Awards
    taxman415 Platinum

Based upon my past experience and various threads in this community there is nothing that can be done... It does seem a little that you could not upgrade your certificate by offering pay either additional points or cash... Happy hunting...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Using Free Night Awards
      boldie24 Platinum 1 Reviews

A little off topic since you received your free nights from the Visa card but this is why I never take the free night option in other Marriott promotions.  I always choose the points bonus.  Call us snobbish but when my wife and I travel and use points, there are never properties available that are category 4-5 or below making those free night certificates worthless to us.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...