17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2013 10:32 PM by marriottmemberfromla Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Honoring Elite benefits

lrak18 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Thank you, community manager, for clarifying  that Marriott would notify members of changes. That being the case what recourse does a member have when a rogue hotel

decides to arbitrarily select how it honors elite status?  Members have written here of getting confirmation from the hotel about the new policy they are using.  It degrades the value of obtaining elite status if it is not honored consistently. Marriott's reputation for quality and consistency suffers if participating properties cannot be counted upon to honor the member rewards program.

So, Community manager, please get us the official answer to these questions:

1-What should a member do when a hotel fails to live up to the agreement, as in this case it tells people the policy is changed?

2-What will Marriott Corporation do about hotels that initiate policy changes that affect members without it being negotiated through Marriott Member rewards as  policy?

3- I read here about available uprades being denied based on the rate the reservation was made under. The guidelines make no such statement that this is policy.

elite guidelines state:

"Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites.  All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club."

I think the hotels that penalized the guests who had discounted room rates owes them a refund and an apology. 

Please address these concerns here. Thank you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Honoring Elite benefits
    mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Excellent post Irak, especially item number 1.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

erc Platinum

Like mikegfla said, excellent post Irak. I really believe this is our best use of NathalieF; helping us gather info and advising us how to best interact within the Marriott system, as opposed to hoping/expecting the social media spokespersonnel to actually be the driving force toward implementing a policy change (especially in the current operating environment). Like eb mentioned above, these social media associates are quite attentive and very responsive when we stay within their range of accountability.

PS - I put the NathalieF  so that the request wouldn't be lost in the pages of posts they absorb daily.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I was specifically told by a manager, that upgrades are given depending on price paid and length of stay. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have heard that price paid makes a difference as well.  But that may be just one person's opinion not company policy.

This person told me the following status hierarchy at one hotel at least.

1. VIPs (top 50 stayers at a hotel)
      2. PP and LTPEs
      3. Plats
      4. gold
      5. Silver
      6. General member

brindha Platinum 8 Reviews

I completely agree. Excellently put.

kamarajc Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree as well.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Sure, I'll get back to you Irak18

1-What should a member do when a hotel fails to live up to the agreement, as in this case it tells people the policy is changed?

There are two parts to your question - individual hotels are not able to change our published policies or benefits, however we do recognize that what you're referring to is the inconsistencies that arise when some hotels go beyond our published policies to take care of our best guests. We're aware of these concerns and have recently concluded an audit on the very subject.

2-What will Marriott Corporation do about hotels that initiate policy changes that affect members without it being negotiated through Marriott Member rewards as  policy?

That's a good question. We work with our colleagues in regional operations on a formal quality assurance program. Hotels that score low for delivery of benefits will work through a game plan and recommendation process to make improvements.

3- I read here about available uprades being denied based on the rate the reservation was made under. The guidelines make no such statement that this is policy.

That should not the case. Upgrades are prioritized based upon loyalty and Elite level, while reservation rate is not a factor whatsoever.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Thank you NathalieF for your reply and also Irak18 for the thread.  I had never heard of such a policy where an upgrade was based on the rate being paid by a guest and am certainly glad I have never run across a hotel that had that policy in place.  I can only imagine what I might have said to the GM.

taxman415 Platinum

Communitymanager when wrote about that "Upgrades are prioritized based upon loyalty and Elite level," what do you mean by loyalty? Thanks...

Thanks taxman415, I was just saying loyalty via Elite level.

NathalieF,

I'm sure the results of the audit are corporate knowledge, but it would be very nice gesture to folks on MI if some of the results or highlights could be revealed.  Many including myself wonder exactly what corporate does when issues are raised on this site and more feedback is welcomed.

Thanks much.

I'll see what we can do.

Thanks, it would be nice for sure Andy

lrak18 Platinum 1 Reviews

Thank you, Community Manager, for your response. Much appreciated. The question remains "what's a traveler to do when these mishaps occur?" Specifically,

when benefits /privileges are being denied and we are given misinformation about policy despite informing the property about what it says on line regarding  the Marriott Rewards involved, what recourse do we have? To whom and which department should we report such events?.....this is particularly important. Finally, what is the Marriott policy about addressing this with the member?

In perusing your guidelines I note this:

1. If an Elite Member believes that compensation is due with respect to any aspect of the Elite Benefits Guarantee, he/she must request payment of the compensation while still a guest at the hotel, prior to checking out. Failure to request such payment prior to check out will result in a complete waiver of any right to receive such compensation.

2. In order to qualify for the Elite Benefits Guarantee, the Elite Member's Membership Number, Elite Membership status, and bed type preferences must be included with the reservation. Reservations made through meeting planners, travel agents, wholesalers or other third party sources must include this information in order to be included in the Guarantee.

However, this is does not address how to file and with whom when the member and hotel disagree about interpretation of the policy....notably the situation of the registered co-guest/spousal roommate of a Platinum Elite being denied a comp breakfast where there is no Concierge Lounge or the being denied an upgrade because of the rate at which reservations were made when rooms are available.

Thank you for any light you can shed on this.

Sure, and thanks for including those details from the T&C's. It’s always best if it can be worked out while on property, but the next step in the process would be to contact customer care.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I've been fortunate.  I haven't encountered a hotel yet that did not upgrade me in some way (and I've never asked to be upgraded).  That being said, upgrade is a loose term (based on the terms above)--rooms on the Concierge Level, high floor rooms, an Executive King, and so on.

Recently though, I did stay at a Marriott where I checked in early and nothing that could be considered an upgrade was available so they comped me some Marriott points instead.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...