9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2013 6:20 PM by iahflyr RSS

Courtyard Portland (OR) City Center

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Just returned from an enjoyable 3 night stay at the Courtyard Portland City Center in downtown Portland, OR. We arrived at 12:30 PM Friday (took light rail from the airport and walked 6 blocks to the Courtyard from the rail stop) and I was told that my room on the 16th (top) floor was not ready, but there was another one on the 16th floor that was ready. When we stepped off the elevator at the 16th floor there was coffee in the elevator lobby. When we left our room after unpacking, the coffee was gone and replaced with a basket of fresh apples. It did not appear that this was being done at any of the other floors. In the  morning there was coffee in the lobby. I was going to ask about the coffee when I was checking out, but forgot to. Attached to the Courtyard was a bar/restaurant that operated from 6:30 AM to 4 AM. (Apparently, downtown Portland has quite a night life) Over the weekend there wasn't any coffee on the 16th floor, but it was in the lobby. This morning there was again coffee along with granola bars and fresh apples. We also had a USA Today at our door. The bar restaurant was not part of the Courtyard, but we were able to charge back to our room.

This was my first trip to Portland and I was amazed at how much it reminded me of Boston, MA. A very compact and vibrant city center with a large university in the heart of the city, outstanding public transportation (light rail, street cars and buses) an abundance of restaurants, a large river running through the town and a great walking town. Local history claims that the town was named Portland, instead of Boston, based on a coin toss. In addition to all the restaurants, they have dozens of food trailers gathered together in downtown parking lots. We had some great Korean BBQ tacos from one food trailer. We also tried the maple bar with bacon strips from Vodoo donuts and the glazed donut with bacon crumbles from Blue Star donuts, all within walking distance of the Courtyard. (Really, I split things like this with my wife and we keep on walking.) For all you bibliophiles, there is the original Powell's Books, (a full city block and 4 stories of books, with an annex across the street for technical books) again, within walking distance of the Courtyard. For the lovers of the hops, there is no shortage of local brewers to sample. If you prefer the fermented grape, Oregon also has a very active wine industry.

If you are looking for an interesting town on the west coast and have had your fill of San Francisco and Seattle, you should check out Portland, OR. June is when they have their Rose Festival and the weather is great. It was definitely coat weather this last week end, but, still a great time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portland, Oregon, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Portland City Center
  • Re: Courtyard Portland (OR) City Center
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Portland is a great place to spend a long weekend or more and we love to food trailers as well in downtown as well.  There are so many things to see/do in the area from Mt. Hood to Multnomah Falls to shopping and dining on Hawthorne Street just southeast of downtown and enjoying the Columbia River Gorge drive and sights.  The Portland area is beautiful and a short 90-100 minute drive to the coast which is also a must see any time of year.

http://www.mthood.info/home.html

http://www.oregon.com/attractions/multnomah_falls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawthorne,_Portland,_Oregon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River_Gorge

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

curiousone Platinum

I forgot to mention in  my orginal post, NO SALES TAXES in Oregon! Make it a shopping trip.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

No sales tax is nice.  In Alaska, they have no state income tax and no sales tax.  It is nice to find these states for shopping.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Alaska is great.  And the fishing ain't bad either.kingphoto.jpg

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Nice catch!

Great catch, I'd have that on the grill in no time.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

There were plenty more where that one came from that were eaten (by others, however...I don't like the taste of salmon).  This one was mounted alongside my 68" moose rack.  My year on the Yukon and points north of the Arctic Circle all the way to Point Barrow was among the best time of my life.  And like cali pointed out...very tax friendly...my kind of place.

nuhusker please do send all the salmon this way then from Alaska that you don't want.

Alaska is on my bucketlist for sure soon.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I went to Portland in mid-April and I agree--it is a great city.  And for me, I prefer it to Seattle--better food and more interesting neighborhoods.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...