45 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 11:56 AM by kharada46 RSS

Blacklist from Hotel-- horrible experience

destinationdoc Member 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I had a bad experience at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Anaheim/Buena Park on March 9-11, 2012. I wrote a Trip Advisor review about it in March 2012. I needed to return to the area for another sporting event. The Courtyard was booked so I decided to try this hotel again, hoping for improved customer care. I received an email of confirmation. Then, the day before my stay, I received an early morning phone call from a manager saying that I was "prohibited" from staying at their hotel. He had read my reviews and believed that I needed to find another hotel. I guess freedom of expression has no place at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Anaheim/Buena Park. Be warned, if you complain about a noisy stay and bad customer service, you may be "prohibited" from returning. And your reservation may be cancelled, leaving you without any accommodations at all. This is the WORST customer service I have ever dealt with. I have contacted customer service and no one seems to care or get back to me. Is this a common practice at Marriott? I find it appalling.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Blacklist from Hotel-- horrible experience
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

WOW, blacklisted from a hotel for a review, you've go to be kidding me???

I've not heard of such a thing and I have written a few less than stellar reviews of hotels on TA and here as well, but then I have not attempted to return to the same property either so maybe I am also on the "not invited back list".

Maybe you should call the GM of the hotel and ask for the name of the person the GM reports and keep moving up the food chain as well as talk to a Customer Service Manager and keep moving up the ladder until someone tells you what the heck (insert your own phrase such as Fairfield Inn) is going on.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I'm thinking that the review may be the notes they kept on him while he was there.  I do know they (Marriott and specific hotels) keep notes on "guests" and there is no telling how they sometimes justify or interpret what's happening with a customer who's upset.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

destinationdoc,

That's just awful!  There's no excuse for such treatment.  I think this is something communitymanager should see

sg1974 Gold

what a ridiculous way to respond to a negative review of their hotel, and to wait till the day before your stay also.

thanks for pointing it out, I'll make a note of not staying there!

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings destinationdoc - I'm not immediately familiar with the specifics but I'll certainly reach out to customer care on your behalf to inquire further. That's certainly not common practice and not part of our The specified item was not found. here on Insiders.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

That's rough (I could definitely see that being the worst customer service you've ever dealt with).  I guess businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone, but if a hotel is going to do that, they should probably at least contact you well in advance.  Waiting to the day before your reservation seems really mean spirited.

I have never written a review on Trip Advisor though I notice hotel managers often comment to reviews on that site.

sg1974 Gold

I Read your tripadvisor review, I can't see what you have done wrong there.

you are certainly right to complain about noise. We experienced this once & didn't complain, but since then we have always contacted the reception as that was the worst night sleep we experienced.

you are not paying to stay in a hotel to be kept up all night by inconsiderate guests.

reading other tripadvisor reviews noise does seem an issue at that property.

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

They should happy that you're giving them another chance!  Unbelievable!

gm1 Gold 1 Reviews

Wow!  That certainly does not seem like the best method to run a business that caters to the public.

richard37075 Platinum

You should make a reservation in a family memebers' name, not using your MR number or credit card and upon check-in add your name and MR # to your stay.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

WOW!  I have never heard of anyone being Blacklisted from a hotel!  From a ballpark, yes, but not from a hotel.  I would have taken it to the media!

Here is an update. The Manager wrote emailed me an apology. OK. She said to put this behind us. OK. And then I could stay there if I wanted. OK. However, she then posts on Trip Advisor. Stating that it was inappropriate for Trip Advisor to publish my comments. She added, "This is not about a petty review, this is about a vindictive personality hoping to poison the minds of the Trip Advisor community." Wow. Once again....I am speechless. Sad that she is tarnishing the Marriott name.

destinationdoc,

I'm sorry to hear that...  It appears the manager is a vindictive person now trying to save herself.  This is a very unfortunate situation and one I hope Marriott will sort out.  Have you been able to communicate your issue with Marriott corporate?  If not, please contact Marriott Rewards or our community manager.  Hope everything works out! 

bullet105 Gold 7 Reviews

Unbelievable, she will run that place into the ground.. You should post her email response on Trip Advisor and warn anyone about staying there at all.

This manager actually posted her comments about me on Trip Advisor. She criticized Trip Advisor for posting my comments. She also made false accusations against me on this site. She wasn't there when I complained to the Night Manager- it was about 6:15 in the morning -- I guess she just takes her Night Manager's word and doesn't even bother to ask the customer what occurred. She takes his word as truth.....and decides to publish it. Such a disappointment.

That clarifies that once and for all.  Talk about sociopathic behavior on her part!!!!

I've had a few experiences with a couple of these types of managers so I know how they can be.  But to have been BLACKLISTED!!  They weren't even that bad.

I don't think Tripadvisor should have allowed that kind of posting since you have nothing to do with travel.  I'm not sure you don't have a case for defamation of character and the proof is right there in black and white if you copy it.

You are way too understanding and civil, IMHO.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I read your review and it appeared that you were just telling about your bad experience.  In my opinion, no reason to blacklist instead should have glad that you gave them another chance.  Even worse, to cancel your reservation that day before without making arrangements for you at another hotel.  They should have confronted the loud people and if necessary called the police and had them forced to leave.

It appears that in this day no one wants to confront the offender instead they try to move the person who is having the problem.  I really don't understand this.

kharada46 Isn't this the place that you are planning to stay at?  The Marriott should be looking pretty good now.

californian,

Right you are.  This is an extreme case of avoidance!

I believe the FFI we're staying at is different, the Anaheim Disney one.  But I'm debating changing it up.  I need to re-check the prices for a one-way Hertz rental again.  Since we now have 2 nights in Anaheim, with one devoted just to Disneyland, it wouldn't make sense to keep a car that entire time. 

Interesting you should say this. In an email, the manager said that some things are beyond their control. And that they tried to quiet the guests. Of course, some things are beyond their control-- but I'd like to think that getting guests to allow other guests a reasonably quiet night is not one of them. This case was so extreme, a call to the Sheriff's or Police Department would have been appropriate. In addition, once I read the other reviews, noise is an ongoing problem at this hotel, even when the guests are not ridiculously loud and obnoxious.

destinationdoc,

I agree... The hotel has a responsibility to ensure a satisfactory stay to all it's guests... but I guess that manager just doesn't want to do anything! 

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Keep us posted on what you find!

kamarajc Platinum 3 Reviews

If she blacklists you for a very legitimate complaint made, we should simply blacklist this hotel and spread the word as much as possible. Stay away from this place.

I've already blacklisted it.

I don't think anyone who reads this would want to stay there.  Those noisemakers should have been tossed out.  That's happened several times at the RI where we stay.  They COULD have made the place comfortable for others.  They apparently enjoy their "party tolerant" reputation.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

About 20 years ago my wife and i stayed in a hotel soemwhere in Califormia (Not a Marriott), and I remember there was a guy who was very load.  The hotel Manager called the police, who promptly came and took the guy away.

kamarajc Platinum 3 Reviews

Due to the fear that I will be blacklisted in this hotel, my review will be called a petty review and I will be called a vindictive person.. I am simply going to say "God is great" whenever I see this hotel and probably sleep in my car. Thank you.

I read what the hotel manager posted to your 2nd review.  This inspired me to read the TripAdvisor review guidelines (you can only write 1 review for 1 stay and then there is a time limit for you to edit that review).

Since you only stayed at the hotel once, I imagine that the hotel manager will eventually be successful in convincing TripAdvisor to removing your 2nd review.

I have sympathy for you because I had a bad experience with a rude employee at a ballpark recently (very frustrating), but reading the back and forth between you and the hotel manager (and your posts here)...I must say...selfishly...great entertainment.

Yes, you may be right. We will see. Although I have read other reviews wherein the party could not stay for a variety of reasons and Trip Advisor still posted it....though never because of someone being blacklisted. And typically the management does not write a respond. Thanks for the sympathy. Plus, I'm glad you can appreciate the entertainment value in this.

I've never heard of someone being blacklisted by a hotel...very unreal.  I just couldn't imagine that stuff happening in 2013 (especially at a major chain)...but reading all of this...just crazy.

Though a very large chain, Marriott (in my long experience with them) seems to have consistently strong customer service from location to location.  That is very hard to do with a big company so some strong management principles and training must be in place.  This makes the comments that the manager would post openly on TripAdvisor all the more incredible.  It just does not seem fitting with the brand and would likely result in some negative consequence for the manager (whether big or small).

joe.isenberg Member 2 Reviews

Wow! That hotel has 467 rooms. With nine floors certainly there should have been at least one security officer on duty who could have resolved the problem. Sorry you had such a negative experience. I have never stayed at a Fairfield but being it is one of the Marriott brands it does have a reputation to maintain. I do hope the manager is reprimanded.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Just a quick update on this thread - my colleagues in customer care have told me that destinationdoc has heard from Mr. Marriott's office and the GM and confirmed that she is in fact welcome to stay at the hotel in the future.

Thanks for the inquiry. I did speak with a Representative from Mr. Marriott's office. She contacted the hotel and I received an email from the General Manager. Essentially, the Manager said that some things are beyond their control, including unruly guests. She indicated that they did make an attempt to quiet the guests, to no avail. She apologized that they could not accommodate me, but I could stay there next time. So I was pleased. But here's where it gets weird. Later, she responds to my Trip Advisor review, stating that my review violates Trip Advisor Guidelines because I hadn't actually stayed there again. Even though I had indicated in my post that I had another sporting event to attend and that the Courtyard was booked, She wrote,"For some odd reason they wanted to return because?" She refers to me as "a vindictive personality trying to poison the minds of the Trip Advisor community" and adds that I made "personal attacks on staff." Pretty awful accusation, especially since she was not there. I never heard back form Mr. Marriott's office, but her Trip Advisor post is gone. So I'm assuming the office intervened. Overall, I'm just hoping that this Manager receives some additional training in Customer Service, as this is was a terrible experience. It was so far removed from the courtesy and excellent customer care to which I've become accustomed while staying at Marriott hotels. In fact, I have another upcoming stay for another sporting event. I received an email welcoming me to the hotel. What a contrast...

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

My question is this.  Regardless of the explanations given, why would you want to every stay there again?

Exactly.  I'd blacklist the property never thinking of returning even if it was the only hotel for 50 miles.  There is no excuse for the GM period.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Heck, I've blacklisted it just on principle.  I don't ever expect to be in Anaheim again, but I'll tell everybody I know (at least the 2 or 3 who still listen to me) to avoid this hotel...period.  Ok, I know the only time they seem to be listening is when I'm picking up the tab.

You have that problem as well, thought it was only me!!  I wonder if we can use reward points to buy better friends, oh even better have some managers removed?

GM removal.............30,000 points

Department MGR.....20,000 points

Now that's getting some value for your reward points.

I guess I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. I figured lots of places have a bad egg....and the man I dealt with during the initial stay was certainly it. I mistakingly thought that the hotel may make an effort to welcome me back with the intention of making-up for last time. What I didn't know was how insidious the poor customer service was at the place. I was rendered speechless when the Front Desk Manager called me to inform me I was "blacklisted."

Excellent, wonder if the GM is going to still be there?

Thank you for the update Andy, now we have to work on keeping me off future blacklists!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...