12 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2013 2:23 AM by eb5147 RSS

Really have to work to get the best rates.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I have to check the non discounted rate and then each of the discounts that I qualify for.  I checked for day 1 and found the best rate to be $93 and then checked for day 2 and found the non-discounted rate to be the best at $109 and then checked for day 1 for 2 nights and found the best discounted rate was $127 per night.  Checking for 2 nights is what most would do and they would pay more.  Why does it have to be so hard?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Really have to work to get the best rates.
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Californian,

It is a lot of work to sort out the best rates for a stay.  Absurd, in fact.  Additionally, there are other bugs in the web-based reservation system.  Just yesterday, I looked up a property in Paris, near the (can't remember name) French Open tennis stadium (Garros something or other).  Anyway, I clicked on flexible dates so I could get the comprehensive list of properties for that city, and also clicked on 'use points' so it would show me the hotel categories in the list.  When I was finished, I then looked up a property in southern California.  I entered the city and got a drop down list, found the right city/state/country entry in the drop down list, clicked on it, then clicked 'find', but it kept coming back on the next page as 'not found', because after I would click 'find' it would revert the country back to France.  I had to completely get out and come back in again.  But back to the matter at hand, it is ridiculous how we have to individually plug in so many variables for individual days to get the best rate for a stay.  Much has been written and lamented about this here on Insiders, and there has not been any response from Marriott, so I don't expect improvement.  And I don't know if this problem is specific to Marriott or even specific to individual corporate hotel reservation sights.  Sometimes capturing the best airline rates can be dicey as well.

You probably haven't received any responses to your post because everybody is like, "Ya, we know and have corporately lamented about it in previous threads, but to no fruition."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

pluto77

I agree with you both. I have done that exact same exercise on the East Coast when looking possible weekend getaways and I find it annoying. On a similar line/side note, I recently booked a trip to Northern California planning to stay in a few different places over a week. I used a combination of certs and points. I used points to book two nights a (Sat and Sun) at a Renaissance. Now the rate at the hotel on a Saturday is $509 but is $329 any other day of the week. Now since the point value needed for a night is 35,000 regardless of day, why not use points for the most expensive night, which I did. If someone wasn't really looking and just used points for say a Tues and Wed rather than a weekend you are getting much less $ value for your points at $658 rather than $838.

erc Platinum

Hey gang

Since my Amish-style AOL mail only arrives by pony express if at all, I never saw this post. You know me and how I like to rant and rave about the rocket scientist's Marriott Matrix pricing grid, so I agree wholeheartedly with all three of you above. As someone who 'roams the halls of the matrix' looking for deals - here's my advice. Be afraid, be very afraid, run from the light!

Here's my theme song after an hour in the Marriott.com pricing grid  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXCkjMBK70

I actually did a first the other day - having grabbed an excellent rate at the brand new Marriott CY (yes, CY, I'll eat my breakfast around the corner GemP and JerryC style), I couldn't book my last night at anywhere near reasonable - so I caught an anniversary rate upper west side at the Hotel Belleclaire for $110 (after proper due diligence).  I thought, what the heck, it will do me good to see other parts of the town (like Zabar's and perhaps a Lincoln Center performance) and with the savings, I'll dine uptown, shoeman style. The new erc is in the game.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I agree with all the others.

The next point: no one commented on this till today and the original post was a few weeks ago.  People have been missing threads that they may be interested in because of all the clutter.  Searching through is a pain and we miss stuff.  We have complaining about this on other posts.

I feel that this site should be travel related and the threads should be titled appropriately so we will know if we want to read it.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

And I've found that by booking at a new hotel, one is more likely to get bonus points that aren't even being announced as happened to us in Homestead, FL with a brand new CY.  It probably can't be counted on, but can happen more easily.  You also might check the highway coupon books if you're paying for them outright since the new ones are more likely to advertise in that manner.

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I just found some really crazy pricing at a CY in Spartanburg, SC.

A guest room with 2 queen beds is $88 on weekdays (higher on weekends).

BUT, one can get a special room and breakfast included for one person for ONLY --- $144!!!!!

Guest room, 1 King, Sofabed

Rate rules Room details

Guest room, 2 Queen

Rate rules Room details

Weekend rate

Rate rules Room details

Guest room, 2 Queen

Rate rules Room details

Guest room, 2 Double

Rate rules Room details

Suite, 1 King, Sofabed

Rate rules Room details

Stay for Breakfast rate, includes breakfast for 2 adults and children 12 and under

Rate rules Room details

Guest room, 2 Queen

Rate rules Room details

Guest room, 2 Double

Rate rules Room details

Room and Breakfast rate, includes buffet breakfast for 1 guest daily

Rate rules Room details

Guest room, 2 Queen

Rate rules Room details

Guest room, 2 Double

Can't you just hear the phone CS asking an unsuspecting phone caller if they want breakfast included?  Guess which one they would probably get.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

So true, ks77.

gwtiner Gold

One of the dynamics in play here, as I understand (which is subject to correction), is that regional/local market managers are constantly setting Internet rates for specific properties based on algorithms that take into account the number of days out you are booking, the current "filled" rate for the individual property, the season, big events etc. For instance, I travel for business and stay at a number of properties frequently. I know from experience that certain days of the week or certain times of the month rooms at these facilities are more expensive. So, as I say, I do not know this firsthand but this is the impression I've been given

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Right you are Californian! 

I recently re-booked my one night in London (that I'm going to try to get on an extended use Chase cert per your advice) at a much lower rate than when I originally booked it a few months ago... I've also noticed that a lot of other destinations I had booked saw prices increase by quite a bit in that same time. 

But, this isn't that much different from other travel companies.  I've seen prices vary wildly on an almost day-to-day basis with airlines too. 

erc Platinum

Marriott Profit Up 31% as RevPar (revenue per available room) Strengthens

SmartMoney News - SmartMoney.com

As Marriott continues to succeed financially, (stock at highest price in over 3 years) we can expect to see more of the same. Learning the grid and knowing relative room values is one of our better defense strategies, because like gwtiner and kharada mention above, we are moving more and more to dynamic pricing where prices can be quite volatile and our ability to pull the trigger on a price (hopefully a cancellable rate, but that is ever so slowly slipping away as well) based on our knowledge of value is important for capturing deals.

Once again, highlighting the value of the Insiders. As Marriott becomes more and more aggressive in their pricing (and pricing includes not just room rates, but reward program benefits, offers, policies etc) our ability to share ideas on maximizing travel value (which also is not just price, but quality and experience) can prove invaluable. As Bette said, "fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night".

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...