13 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2013 12:09 PM by psudad RSS

Was anyone at Fenway Today?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

Were any of you there at Fenway?  Since moving to Maine in 1994 I haven't been able to follow Red Sox games to the degree I did when I lived in Boston.  But I watched today (on TV) and was thrilled.  From David Ortiz' beginning expletive about what people better not do to Boston to Neil Diamond singing Sweet Caroline in person, I was in tears through most of the game.  I am so proud of my adopted native city, the place where I first at age 24 felt like I became a person, and which, despite my great job, I miss as much know as when I first left.  I am so, so proud of the police and the people of Boston -- including not only the people/police of Watertown -- but also the university students who came out chanting USA last night.

I love you Boston! With a little help from Providence (ha, good metaphor) you made me who I am.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Was anyone at Fenway Today?
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Hi Professor,

I did hear about the activities at Fenway on the news.  It was most inspiring, and the folks in Boston truly have a lot of strength, resilience and community pride.  (And I'm sure David Ortiz' phrasing is already on t-shirts that are flying off the shelf, making some interprising indivudual rich!)

We weren't at Fenway yesterday, but instead at our own triple A ball park enjoying a Fresno Grizzlies game (SF Giant's farm team), and to yourself, Anadyr, Tef and any other Insiders out there who consider themselves to be Bostonians, Honorary Bostonians and/or Bosoxers, I hope you felt the love we out here on the West Coast sent your way.  We too had a minute of silence prior to the ball game for the community of Boston, and enthusiastically sang "Sweet Caroline" at the seventh inning stretch.  It was very moving.  Fundraising was also held at the game for the victims of the violent attack on Monday.

IMAG1346.jpg

Moment of silence.

(I also video'ed the singing of Sweet Caroline for you, but you could clearly hear me singing off key, so, nah.)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto or Professor,

This may sound dumb, but what does "Sweet Caroline", have to do with Boston, and why is it sang during the "Seventh inning stretch"?

Hi Jerry,

I think Bosoxers actually sing it during the eighth inning, but we sang it in lieu of God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch.  And I do wonder about it the same as you!

They must sing it in between innings too, else how can the game be announced?  Yes, perhaps we're dissecting with a microscope, but it is a curious thing.

Hi Jerry and Pluto,

Neil Diamond supposedly (according to him) composed the song to still little Caroline Kennedy in 1969, saying at the time "I wrote it in a hotel in Memphis, Tennessee," he said. "And I think there's a little bit of God in that song. I always have felt that. There's no accounting for what can happen to a song. But this one had something special to it." In 1997 it became the Red Sox song. It's always played in the 8th and was apparently introduced by a video consultant as a good luck charm. Sure worked yesterday, but also did so much more.

That's why it meant so much after the Marathon when the Yankees (archenemies, of course) played it during their game -- a true sign of solidarity and respect.  And apparently most teams throughout the league played it this week. But that Neil Diamond asked permission, paid his own way by red-eye and apparently just made it to the park on time, makes it all the more special. I haven't been watching that many games. To see the people of Boston singing, weeping, laughing, and being people was the most stark yet happy moment of this week.

ProfChiara

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Thanks Professor!

I have never heard of any of this before!

This sure makes sense, but I had no idea.

Again, Thanks!

PS -- My suspicion, putting two and two together (as a historian of course!), is that he wrote it after both the assassinations of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King, since he said it was written in Memphis in 1969.

PPS - Here are the lyrics, which express both love and hurt:

"Sweet Caroline"

Where it began,

I can't begin to knowin'

But then I know it's growing strong

Was in the spring

And spring became the summer

Who'd have believed you'd come along.

Hands, touchin' hands

Reachin' out, touchin' me touchin' you

Sweet Caroline

Good times never seemed so good

I've been inclined

To believe they never would

But now I, look at the night

And it don't seem so lonely

We fill it up with only two.

And when I hurt,

Hurtin' runs off my shoulders

How can I hurt when I'm with you

Warm, touchin' warm

Reachin' out, touchin' me touchin' you

Sweet Caroline

I've been inclined,

To believe they never would

Oh, no, no

Sweet Caroline

Sweet Caroline,

I believe they never could

Sweet Caroline.........

I think you can all see why those lyrics would have been especially poignant and uplifting over the past week!  I am so proud of my adopted hometown and its police, first responders, and citizens.

More, except for the controversial date of 2002 rather than 1997:

Diamond's live rendition of "Caroline" (which climbed to no. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100) sparked an enthusiastic sing-along in Fenway, as the 35,000 in attendance echoed every word and erupted into a chant of "U-S-A" at the song's conclusion.

The song, which has been adopted as the Red Sox's anthem and played during the 8th inning of every home game since 2002, has rung out at sporting events across the country after Monday's Boston Marathon bombings, in efforts to give solace to those affected by the tragedy.

“What resonates for me ... is the way music can offer comfort to people in times of joy or sorrow,” Diamond, 72, told the L.A. Times at Thursday's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony. “With a tragedy like this, there are no words, but if people can find healing in music, this is the reason I’ve been doing this for the last 50 years. It goes beyond what I ever imagined.”

Thanks, Professor.  It all makes sense now.  Neat song, very nice tradition for Boston and Bosoxers to have started and claim for their own.

Go Boston.

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews

Have not been to Fenway since I lived in New England!

Lots of company parties there!

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Fenway is a must see - it is THE place to see a baseball game.  Takes you back in time.  Walk the alley outside, get a sausage pepper and onion sandwich and bring it in with you.  Wonderful experience.  If you sit in the right field bleachers and it's a clear night, you get a great sunset over the green monster.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...