7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2013 3:54 PM by douginmaryland Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Legal age to drink alcohol or beer

GemPrincess Alumni Steward Platinum 17 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If I remember correctly the drinking age in Ohio is 18?

Or is that just for the low alcohol beer?

Anyways we may be discussing underage drinking that is under 18 which is not even adults and should be a concern to everyone.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Legal age to drink alcohol or beer
    drchucklesboomboom Platinum 13 Reviews

The drinking age in Ohio is 21 and has been for as far back as I can recall (20+ years). Legally, in the United States, if a state wants to get federal highway funds, they have to have a minimum 21 drinking age. This was mandated under the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 and has been in place ever since.

I remember when I was 18, they were just grandfathering in the age from 18 to 21 in Colorado, and it was at age 19 that year, so were just one year away from almost being able to legally drink their low-alcohol beer. Bummer. We went over to Windsor (Canada) instead.

What I witnessed at CY Canton recently was definitely underage drinking, but probably over 18yo. Still, the law is the law.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I grew up in MI, and remember driving to OH for 3-2 beer.

But maybe that has changed, since I grew up in the stone age.

superchief1 Platinum

When I was in college (too many years ago), you could buy 3.2 beer at 18 in Ohio, but you had to be 21 to drink anything else. I actually believe that was a better approach because college students could actually go to a club and drink while watching the bands. A person would get sick or drown before getting drunk on 3.2 beer. This was like learning to drink with 'training wheels', and I don't recall many of my friends ever going to the hospital with alcohol poisining.

So, has it changed?

Can an 18 yr old drink 3-2 beer in Ohio now?

superchief1 Platinum

No. Several years ago the drinking age for everything was raised to 21. No more 3.2 beer.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I guess the conversation has changed from the original subject of staying at CY's!

douginmaryland Platinum

I've completely stopped staying at Courtyards since Marriott's myopic changes have made the brand unattractive.  I've been staying at full service Marriott's and Renaissance properties for about the same price and with far superior amenities (which include free coffee, tea and bottled water).   No way I'm going back to Courtyard where you can't even get a free cup of coffee or tea in the lobby anymore. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...