5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2013 4:15 PM by iahflyr Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

I will gladly return to both of these fine Courtyards

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Well,

Mea Culpa.  I stayed at two Courtyards this past weekend.  I said I wouldn't do it anymore.  I guess I lied about that.  I did however state that I would do what's best for me and as such, sometimes Marriott would win, sometimes the other guy would win, but as a free agent, I will always win.  Here's the deal:  the first CY I stayed at is close by my parent's house, and is a known quantity: a good stay in a good location for a good price.  The second CY was a first time stay, but again a good stay in a good location (Long Beach, and upgraded to a room with a view of the Queen Mary) for a good price.  I will write a review for both of these properties soon, but what I would like to share here is that while the Carlsbad property has apparently converted to the bistro - I say apparently because it was advertised in the elevator, but I didn't see a bistro - they have kept their previous styling with the beautiful lobby and public areas, along with a bar/lounge area that looks almost as nice as a FS Marriott, and the covered poolside area was very inviting.  I was upgraded to a room with a large balcony with two chairs and a table which overlooked a treelined greenbelt.  I was told by the front desk staff at the CY in Long Beach that the property is one of the few that is actually owned by a member of the Marriott family, and they chose NOT to convert to the bistro.  The full service restaurant is being renovated (and during that process guests are being provided with complimentary free breakfast), and once the restaurant/bar opens later this month, they will also be offering room service.  The rate at the LB CY was under $100.  Parking was only $12.  Rate at Carlsbad $104 with free parking.  Both properties had complimentary lobby coffee (LB had teas as well), and 4 cup coffeemakers (and refrigerators) in the rooms.

I will gladly return to both of these fine Courtyards.

LB CY room view

queen mary room view cr.jpg

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Carlsbad, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport
Long Beach, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Long Beach Downtown
  • Re: I will gladly return to both of these fine Courtyards
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Did you, or have you visited the Queen Mary, or dined at Sir Winston's?

Congrats, on your great week-end!

Nice information!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I did not visit the Queen Mary this visit.  Currently, they have the Diana: A Royal Exhibition on display.  There is so much to do in Long Beach and a lot of really good dining!  I love Ocean Blvd, the Promenade, Shoreline Village and the Performing Arts Center.  And the Queen Mary of course.  One could easily spend a week here and not enjoy it all.  Right now, Shoreline Drive is practically unrecognizable, as they are getting ready for the Grand Prix later this month.  All of the course barriers and grandstands are already up.  No wonder I kept hearing cars racing late at night while I was trying to sleep!  I have not dined at Sir Winston's, but will certainly check it out.  Thanks, Jerry.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto,

Yes, Long Beach is a really under rated place to visit.  The CY, and The Renaissance have always been good for me! 

The Queen Mary is most interesting and I really had a nice meal at Sir Winston's.

Had my first "Johnny Rockets" there and really enjoyed "La Opera", as well.  There was also a wonderful steakhouse called "555" that was excellent as well.

Thanks so much for reminding me of what a neat place Long Beach can be!

Location Brand Hotel
        Long Beach, California, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Long Beach Downtown
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

It is good to hear that some of the CYs are good.  I like your attitude.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

The few CY we stay at have never disappointed.  Very friendly associates, clean rooms and hotel, for the most part comfortable beds and free parking. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...