14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2014 2:23 AM by kharada46 RSS

Courtyard Waikiki Beach - SOLD

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The local news is reporting that the Courtyard Waikiki Beach has been sold by it's current owners to Highgate Hotels.  There's no information on future property management/branding at the moment, however, Pacific Business News does report that the new owner has the option of operating the hotel under the CY name through 2034.  I believe the property is currently owned by Outrigger Hotels & Resorts, while the article states that the new owner, Highgate Hotels, is the current property manager. 

Highgate Hotels buying Courtyard by Marriott Waikiki Beach hotel - Pacific Business News

In similar news, the Hyatt Regency Waikiki has also been sold to Blackstone Group (Hilton).  Blackstone promises $75 million in renovations (hint hint Marriott), while Hyatt will remain the property manager.

Report: Blackstone adding Hyatt Regency Waikiki to its Hawaii portfolio - Pacific Business News

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Waikiki Beach
Waikiki, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: Courtyard Waikiki Beach - SOLD
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Thanks.  Please continue giving us updates on Hawaii.

The good thing is when Marriott loses a hotel, often they pick up a new one.  From what you said the CY is need of renovations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Will do Californian!  Unfortunately no news on Waikoloa Marriott yet.  The Hyatt article mentioned that Blackstone currently owns the Waikoloa Marriott and the sale is still pending. 

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My wish list is for a nice new property on "The Big Island" and another near Princeville on Kaua'i.

The current Waikoloa Marriott is actually quite nice from what I've seen on oyster.com.  Doesn't beat the shear size and amenities of the Hilton next door or the luxury of the Four Seasons, but I'd like to stay there one day. 

Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Hawaii | Oyster.com -- Hotel Reviews and Photos

What the Big Island needs is a decent hotel in Hilo!  The only two options there are the Hilo Hawaiian and the Nani Loa.  Both have cleanliness issues, service, etc.  In fact, I saw photos of the Nani Loa from a friend's recent trip to Hilo... and they don't have card keys, it's regular metal keys!  And the room has laminate flooring that (I've heard) are often dust... not to mention the TV is mounted on a dresser in the corner of the room, so it's reminiscent of a hospital room! 

As for Kauai, Marriott has  A LOT of properties there!  But I would like to see them either transform one into something better or do a new construction... At the moment, I don't think you can beat the St. Regis Princeville!   

The only new property I know of that SHOULD be coming will be the CY Lai'e on Oahu's North Shore.  It is a collaborative with the Mormon church to provide a facility for it's Travel Industry Management students a place to intern at. 

Ah the North Shore, now you're talking. 

A long, long time ago, Marriott did have a hotel in Hilo.  I don't remember which it was.  It was nice, you could stay in Kona and leisurely drive to Hilo, spend the night and leisurely drive back to Kona.  It is a long day to drive around the whole island in one day.

Never been to Hilo, but would love to one day.  Is it true that Hilo is the place with the most rain on the planet and Kona the place with the least or is that something I conjured up all on my own?

I think you are right.

Hilo has gotten old.for that reason.  Most people want the sun but it is nice for a ay or two.  Marriott - do you hear this?

Hah!  Wow, I really wasn't reading what I was typing!  Anyhow, the CY Lai'e is a project headed by the Mormon church to provide on job training to Travel Industry majors at their BYUH campus, which is also in Lai'e.  Many of their students already work at the Polynesian Cultural Center, so this isn't such a far fetched idea. 

Anyhow, IAHFLYR, Hilo does rain almost constantly and Kona is an arid, volcanic desert, but I don't believe they hold either of those titles.  I believe Mount Wai'ale'ale on Kauai is or was the wettest spot on earth.  This may no longer be true, as rainfall totals have been falling over the past decade in Hawaii as a whole. 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

The Big Island is supposedly known for having the most microclimates in one place, something like 22, I think.

You are absolutely correct!  From seashores, to tropical rainforest, to  frozen tundra, the Big Island has it all

Californian,

Really?  I find this interesting!  I'll have to do some digging!  I wish they would have kept it, that would have been so wonderful!  I know Volcano National Park has the newly renovated Volcano House, but I wish a good quality brand like Marriott would have a hotel in Hilo for those that wish to see the volcano and what not and desire a reliable level of quality during their stay. 

sfotravlr Silver 1 Reviews

This is the first time that I have stayed at this property. My company has recently switched from Starwood to Marriott properties and this was a HUGE disappointment... The "tower" that I stayed in was embarassing. From having to access the elevator through the dark parking lot (in the rain) to the elevator that anyone can access off the street. The security in this place was lacking to say the least. The room was next to the elevator and my neighbors woke me twice just by going in and out... This was a low level motel at best; not nearly what I would have expected based on othet CY stays. The desk staff was pleasant and the room was clean. But I will certainly NEVER go back to this place again.

sfotravlr,

You are correct.  This property definitely doesn't meet CY standards.  To add insult to injury, the property is a Category 6!  If you do have to stay there again, do request to stay in the main tower.  The only downfall of the main tower is the immense amount of street noise you'll hear.  The only saving grace of the property is the staff.  The last time I stayed there a couple of years ago, the staff was amazing, though the property was poor.  And I believe now the property is even better thanks to the installation of split air system rather than the deafening window mount a/c units they used to have. 

There is the Waikiki Beach Marriott on the other end of Waikiki, which is MUCH better! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...