7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2013 3:27 PM by curiousone RSS

Please come to Boston in the Springtime...

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was born in Philly and live in Maine, but I spent the major years of my life becoming a person in Boston (1976 - 1994), where I want to college, worked, and learned a whole lot about life.  While I am not a person for crowds in any case, the sights from yesterday made me physically ill, because those were MY streets, MY hospitals (I worked at both MGH and Brigham during college and grad school), and MY people. I love the city more than any other place in the US and I hope they catch the coward(s) who did this very soon. In the meantime, I love the spirit of my adopted hometown and their resilience.  And I loved it that retired Patriot Joe Andruzzi was one of the heroes who carried some victims from the scene.

Be well, be strong, and don't let them get to you, fellow Bostonians.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Please come to Boston in the Springtime...
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have been a summer New Englander for over 40 years and echo the Professor's sentiments.  It is the indomitable Yankee Spirit that began at the "rude bridge" in Concord and continues to this day.  Walking the town today I was glad to see friendly faces, huge police presence and an attitude of not being defeated or afraid.  I met some of the Mayor's staff at the Castle, as well as National Guardsmen and Salvation Army folks. All wanting to help, being positive. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I echo your sentiments Prof. Likewise, as a 50+ year resident of the city and surrounding suburbia and a graduate (undergrad and Masters) from Northeastern University, a continuing relationship with same and many years of attending (and being a sponsor of) the Boston Marathon, I also have a close kinship I feel with the city and all it is. In my many years in Boston I have been proud to be a small part of the 'fabric' that has made this city great. From Copley Square to Kenmore Square to Fenway Park to the great shops on Newbury Street to Cambridge and the North End it is a city filled with life, happiness, friendship and love.

My wife also lived at Charles River Park (the one with the big sign that has ALWAYS said 'If you lived here, you'd be home now!' I've had cars stolen and recovered, watched Bobby Orr and Co. as a Bruins season ticket holder, had my heart broken by the Red Sox in '67, '75, '86 and more, but also lived the joy the city felt when they broke that 86 year 'curse of the Bambino' in 2004. As a young high school kid my band mates and I played the University of Mass college mixers back in the 60's.

I've loved the time I spent in the Back Bay, had great meals all over the city (especially the GREAT Italian feasts in the North End), sponsored, personally planned and managed for many years a halloween 'trick or treat' for all the underprivileged kids at the State House and can say without hesitation I have enjoyed every moment I have spent in the city.

I have this intense feeling of American pride when I see the pictures of those who rushed TOWARD the carnage to help and probably saved many lives.

It IS truly a great city and anyone who has the chance should visit!

Stay strong Boston....as I know you will!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tef,

I agree with The Professor and you!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Tef,

That brought so much home to me -- I too lived at Charles River Park for most of my years in Boston, as well as near Fenway Park (and in other parts of suburban Boston).  And yes, Bobby Orr and the great Bruins of those years although the Patriots back then lost all the time.

Were you there for the Great Ice Storm of 1978 that literally shut down the state (by official order)? Everyone came together to help each other. But the same spirit we're seeing now was present then, because every though it's a big city, it's a 'small' big city.  And fortunately it's a very resilient one.  And a shout out to the Yankees last night for putting their logos on the same signs and playing Sweet Caroline.

Yankees play "Sweet Caroline" in Boston tribute - CBS News

ProfChiara

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

All great musings and well expressed.  I have never been to Boston, but of course have always wanted to go.  Perhaps next year we should all go and show our support for Patriots' Day, Bostonians and the Boston Marathon.  If Kecia decides to run it again, we can cheer her on.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi Prof:

I certainly was in the middle of the Blizzard of 1978. The Governor actually did shut down the state from vehicle traffic and anyone who drove had to get a permit from the civil defense (that's what they called it then). I was fortunate enough to get one! But, it was a nightmare to get around as many roads (including Route 128) were blocked with abandoned cars.

I was actually a Patriots season ticket holder back then too as well as the Bruins, but the Pats played at old Schaefer, then Sullivan Stadium. You're right, they were awful!

I've had so much fun and so many memories come from the city of Boston I can't even begin to remember them all.......

Nice touch by the Yankee organization to play 'Sweet Caroline' in the Boston tribute. For those who don't know...Sweet Caroline is played during the seventh inning stretch at every Red Sox game....and a genuinely nice touch for the Yankees to do it!

curiousone Platinum

As a time share owner I have learned to "think ahead" and have been waiting for the Marriott Custom House to release inventory for mid May 2014. This will be our second trip to downtown Boston and we are really looking forward to it. With the Marriott Long Wharf jumping to a cat 8 property, I am thinking I will use some SPG points to book the day before and the day after Custom House with Starwood properties in Boston.

Boston, here we come! Screw the terrorists!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...