14 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 9:57 PM by anadyr RSS

Aftermath from Boston

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
We are fine. Our daughter Kecia ran in the Boston Marathon today, and is dealing with hundreds of emails, and texts.  She is a runner and was on target for a personal best.  We saw her at Boston College (MILE 21) and she was zooming along at a nine minute mile pace.  We were heading to the finish at 26.2, when we heard via a subway operator, that there was a police incident at the back bay, and that we needed to get off the train at Fenway stop, about a mile away.  All we could think about was what had happened to our only child. We had arranged to meet at the Copley Square Sheraton after the race.  We had a chance to be at the finish but decided it would be mobbed and did not.   Thankfully.

We met her at the Sheraton at the same time.  She was tired and shaken,  and the personnel there were exemplary: free food, free ice packs, free internet, free power strips, and caring associates.I thanked everyone with a badge from there.  Also the lobby filled with security personnel most with M-16s and SWAT gear appeared and the FD to do a floor by floor sweep. High marks for all Bostonians, but the responders were incrediubly well trained and well organized. 

We morn the loss of life but we are grateful for our own survival and that of our daughter.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
  • Re: Aftermath from Boston
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Thanks for the good news!

I just posted a message that the family and you are OK!

Please excuse my post!  I wasn't sure when you would be able to communicate on MRI!

Everyone will be glad to hear directly from you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Keep those folks in your thoughts, as we are.

anadyr,

A number of MRI are posting about your situation, and are glad to hear your family and you are OK!

I am sure, you like NU, others, and me, have opinions about these criminals, that seek to destroy, innocent people, but will save that discussion till you all get safe back home in CA!

If there is an upside to all this is that people respond, going above and beyond,  and pull together as one. So the perpetrators have failed in their quest to make us cower in fear.  We spoke with a 9/11 survivor today, who was crying.  It makes me mad and very sad too.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I am glad to hear from you and that you are all good.  Something like this change change your life forever.  Hopefully for the good.

I believe that some people are evil and they do horrible things to innocent people.  I hope that they get them.

Jerry,

You could branch your thread to this one.

californian,

Thanks for the idea, but I really have no idea on how to do that.  Maybe, there is help form the staff at MRI!

Only the person who started the thread can branch it.  Just look for the word BRANCH.  If you can not find it, ask Andy for help.

californian,

Thanks,

Will see what I can do!

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

I am so glad you and yours are well and safe. This tragedy in Boston is awful. My company has a large office there and we are still do the census to see if everyone is safe. Having live thru the tragedy of 9/11 (I work and live in NYC), my heart goes out to you and all those affected by this act of cowardice and terroism. We shall persevere and thrive, we will not be kept down by those few who seek to make us cower and fear.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

anadyr:

As I said to you yesterday, I'm glad you and family are all safe.

As a former Bostonian (born, raised and lived there over 50 years) I am acutely aware of just how special a day this is in the great city of Boston. The entire 26.2 mile route is packed the entire length with folks cheering on the runners and giving the encouragement they so need for such a grueling run. The Red Sox play a day game every year on this Patriots Day (Marathon day every year) to coincide with the marathon and the patrons from Fenway Park stream out not too far from the finish to see the huge amount of runners coming down the the final stretch. It is truly a magnificent day in Boston and a memorable moment that lives forever with those that get the chance to experience it.

It will be different marathon going forward. But, I do know this....the Boston folk are tough and resilient. They will get beyond this and the cowards and creeps who try and change our lives will not ruin the spirit that lives and breathes in Boston and resides within its people.

All our thoughts and prayers are with those who lost loved ones or who have had their lives changed forever by this cowardly act.

The irony is that whoever thought they could take on Bostonians by doing this was wrong: Boston, as you know, is a town that rebounds, recovers and remains proud.

kroywen Gold 11 Reviews

Yes, you Bostonians are resilient & brave & strong.    As are we New York City 9/11 survivors.     And.....again, yes, your Marathon WILL run again, maybe not without deeper thoughts attached, but it willl continue

Each day I've watched the rebuilding of our downtown tower.  At night when it is now lit up, each bulb seems to both memorialize the lives lost as well as give hope to us who believe in our country, the freedom it affords us and the knowledge that we cannot be broken.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those killed and the many, many injured.   

We feel it today, the sadness and the relief of what might have been and what was.  We see the devastation, but we feel the attitude that this will not deter us.  Marathons might be forever changed tio reflect a cowardly act of terrorism, but runners and spectators will not be deterred.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...