22 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 4:26 PM by eb5147 Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Nostalgic look at prices over time

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

anadyr,

Yes, I don't think we will see a "Gas War" and prices at 19.9 cents a gallon for awhile!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Nostalgic look at prices over time
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Not in this lifetime, or the dollar a carton cigs either (I don't smoke but friends did).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

anadyr,

Few on MRI will ever know what prices were, and it was not long ago!

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

I remember gas at a quarter a gallon, bread was the same for Mrs. Baird's (a favorite in TX for as long as I can remember), nickel candy bars and sodas, $.49 for a quart of Miracle Whip, cabbage for a dime a head and a bag of pintos for a dime.  All of this was in 1970.  Minimum wage was $1.65 then, too, unless you were a waitress.  Then it was $.45, even though a lot at DQ and other drive-ins, didn't get tips.

eb,

Do you notice when you tell this to others, especially young people, they thing "You are from another Planet"?

It is so sad to see how "Freedom's, and pure innocent, Joy's, have left our culture"

Thanks for your comments!

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

$0.25 a gallon for gas?!  I'm kidding!  I've heard stories of being able to fill your tank for around a $1!  The cheapest rate I've ever paid was about $2.50/gallon... Then again, everything is way more expensive in Hawaii!  I agree, though, it is sad that my generation can't experience "Freedom's, and pure innocent, Joy's." 

Technology is both a blessing and a curse! 

But you did notice minimum wages also?

In the early 1950's, my father worked as an apprentice electrician and made $45 / week.

One of my great grandmothers (the one I saw all the time) had a little mirror that was about 3 inches long and an inch wide, including the frame and handle.  She said that Grandpa had paid a quarter for it.  I was probably about 12 when she first showed it to me and I commented about how cheap it had been.  She said, "Yes, but he worked all day in the fields for that quarter.".

eb5147,

I did.  Boy what inflation has done over the past 43 years...  I don't envy that wage... but even with the $7.25 minimum wage in Hawaii, it is extremely difficult to make a living here thanks to are sky-high cost of living.  Wages have not kept up with cost of living here at all...

Anyhow, thanks for sharing the story!  Oh how times have changed!  When I was younger, I thought it was interesting that iced water in 3rd class on the Titanic was seen as a great luxury... oh the things we take for granted now! 

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

IF you really want to go back, go to Williamsburg or some other historical site and see what they paid for things.  Pennies.

I read a study (don't remember who did it) that said if you doubled minimum wage, in about two months the people who worked for the minimum would be worse off after all the other wages were increased and prices adjusted to  paying the higher wages.  If this is right, you just can't beat the system.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I don't know.  In Australia, unskilled workers like food servers, etc. make a decent wage, well above our minimum.  I'll see if I can find out more about how that seems to work in their economy.

To chime in with others, I remember gas at $.50/gallon.  My first job at Disneyland was $2.40/hour, $.25 above the minimun wage at the time, which made it a good high school job.  My starting salary in the military was $448/month.  My dad's starting salary in the Air Force was $75/month.

I will only stay on points on anything over $300/night with rare exception.

I agree.  I was mortified by our government's decision to raise Hawaii's minimum wage by over a $1.00!  I know that means cost of living will increase as businesses adjust prices to compensate for the additional expense, but at the same time, my wage will remain the same... ugh...

I kind of miss my younger years in a way.  Early to mid 90's our family had no computers, no cell phones, no digital cable, etc.  I used to go to the beach EVERY weekend to go swimming and fishing.  Now... not so much, but that has a lot to do with being a "grown up" now haha

We all miss our younger years.

My friend's daughter is facing the second pay cut since this mess started.  No help for her.

Californian,

I'm sorry to hear that.  The economy is tough... but you are right, we all miss our younger days! 

I forget where, but I've been to some place that charged for the ice. 

I don't remember where but a Marriott had no ice machine and brought a bucket to the room each evening.  If you wanted more you had to call room service.

kh,

The lowest price I have ever saw gas was 19.9 cents per gallon.  That was 1966, and there were plenty of "Gas wars".  Remember this was "Full service" as well!

Jerry,

That's pretty amazing!  You'd be hard pressed to find full service in Hawaii!  And even full service last time I saw it here meant only filling your gas, nothing else. 

No, Jerry.  I just get the idea they think I'm old as dirt.    I remember thinking in the first grade that my teacher must be about ready to retire because she wore glasses and the only people I knew who did that were my gg grandmother, my great grandmother, and all of her brothers and sisters. 

She taught my 2 older sons at the same school about 30 years later, and substituted as a teacher in my youngest son's kindergarten class 35 years after I had her. 

(I just got this e-mail that seemed so appropriate.  A car that had the gas tank hidden behind a tail light.  I didn't know that.  Annette a few times, and sad to hear of her death.  11 1/2 minutes if you want to see the videos and hear the music.)
            Fun to see/hear.  The cars are gorgeous

The fifties were the days.  Carefree and awesome.  Cars you could identify from a block away with V-8 engines, .25 cent gas,  black and white T.V., bandstand, rock and roll music unlike any other, girls with poodle skirts, boys with duck tail haircuts and not a care in the world.  Sadly, all just a wistful memory.  Anyway enjoy this...the way it used to be...when the good times rolled !!!!!!!!! Remember when....

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

It has nothing to do with Marriott or travel, but I am reminded that I paid $1.15 for a carton of Marlboro's in SE Asia. And Beefeaters & Tonic drinks were $.15 during happy hour at the Airmen's club.  What a life!

I recall getting the booze at the O Club at Bolling AFB (for my wedding reception) at around a dollar a bottle.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

In my time, cigarettes were $1.85 carton, beers $.75 each.  I never drank much because I was afraid of being arrested for being over the limit (their limits are lower than ours) by the JP's and sent to prison for the rest of my life where they would feed me fish heads and rice and not even notify my command, for which if they did, I'd be toast anyway.  We also were prohibited from drinking a drink "out in the Ville" know as Purple Haze, because it had d'Absinthe in it.  Mama-sans loved it when we bought cartons of cigarettes for them.  I think I gave a papa-san a carton once, because he delivered a small refrigerator to my room in the Q.  I wonder if there were Marriotts in SE Asia in those days...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...