0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 14, 2013 2:53 PM by jaytmoore RSS

The Man of Steal

jaytmoore Gold
Currently Being Moderated

"I'm disappointed about how my career ended" epitomizes the attitude of my favorite baseball player of all time, Rickey Henderson.

Growing up in the 1980's in the bay area I was a huge Oakland A's fan. Rickey was a very special talent in the game of baseball, and I was lucky enough to witness him achieve his greatest accomplishment on May 1, 1991. With Lou Brock in the crowd in Oakland, Henderson took off against Yankees pitcher Tim Leary in the fourth inning and stole third, beating catcher Matt Nokes' throw. The game is stopped for a ceremony in which Henderson is presented with the base of his 939th steal! This is a moment in baseball that I will never forgot.

Some fans thought Rickey was egotistical and not an "ambassador of the game". I strongly disagree. As a young player in little league at the time, Rickey taught me to not be content with my current production. He seemed to constantly set new challenges for himself, steal 100 bases, break Brock's record, become a power hitter , play into his 40's, and he was always able to rise up and surpass them. Even when he heard whispers of worry and doubt or when he signed large contracts, Rickey did nothing but prove that he was the star he claimed to be.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...