0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 8:45 PM by allyouneed RSS

Oh what a thrill - all these years later

allyouneed Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Candlestick Park, Saturday, August 5, 1995 Sec. LRES12, Row 2, Seat 10 Baseball, the summer of 1995 was pretty much dead because of the strike  But always, I had a soft spot for "my manager" - Tommy LaSorta.  Everything about the Dodgers I attributed to him back then. This year was special. The Dodgers had acquired a 26-year old rookie who made his debut earlier in the week.  He was already a phenomenon in Japan - Hideo Nomo. This kid didn't speak a word of English, and a quirky wind-up. It was up in the air as to what day he would pitch - Friday or Saturday.  We had heard that fans were purchasing tickets for both games - just in case.  Well, did we ever luck out! Hideo pitched was the starting pitcher in a game that lasted 2 hours and 28 minutes.  43,167 people were cheering for a not hitter - even the Giants fans. The fans were over-the-top by the 6th inning when we sensed it would be a no-hitter.  He ended up walking Mark Carreon. Can't remember all the details now, but next batter up, Clayton, I think made it to first..........the no-hitter was over, but he never gave up another hit that game. Both Giants Fans, and Dodgers fans shouted his name for the entire last inning of the game. Score was Dodgers 3, Giants 0.  It was a thrill to be there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Vancouver, Washington, USA

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...