0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2013 11:17 PM by outback41 RSS

42story

outback41 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In 1951, when I was nine, my dad took me to see the Seattle Raniers play the Hollywood Stars at Sick's Seattle Stadium.  The Raniers were managed by Rogers Hornsby, and would go on to win the Triple-A Pacific Coast league title that year.  The team star was Jim Riviera, a speedy centerfielder who would later enjoy a ten-year major league career.  Riviera usually batted third in the order, just ahead of power-hitting left fielder Wally Judriech, but for some reason their positions were reversed that night.  In the ninth inning, down a run, Judriech was on second and Riviera on first when the other Seattle outfielder, McGhee, hit a long shot into the right field corner.  Judriech lumbered around third, but the fleet-footed Riviera easily caught him and the two proceeded to home plate together.   Judriech knocked over the catcher, and Riviera performed his patented head-first slide into home a fraction of a second behind him.  It was -- by far -- the most exciting play I've ever seen in baseball. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...