15 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2013 7:48 PM by lone6star RSS

Requesting Upgrades During A Rewards Stay

lukes123 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Two quick questions from a Rewards newbie:

When a rewards stay is book, should we expect a lower tier room because we are not paying cash?

If we are a Gold Elite member, will the hotel honor the upgrade policy during a rewards stay?  So has anyone in a Gold status been upgraded during a rewards stay?

I have only used my points once and it seems I was given a lower tier room.  However, I will be staying at a Ritz Carlton and it would be cool if they honored the upgrade feature.  To tell you the truth, my company pays a ton of money for my rewards, because most every city I travel to has a cheaper hotel alternative, and I am not talking about Red Roof Inns.  So if I work a year to accumulate points and book a great hotel and get a below par room, I might just have to change courses.  I know I am savings thousands of dollars by using rewards, but who wants to stay in the worst room of any hotel.  I would much rather stay in a great room at a Marriott than the worst at a Ritz Carlton.

Thanks for you replies!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Requesting Upgrades During A Rewards Stay
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

I am not in the Gold status, but when I am using Reward points, I always ask for upgrades.  It's all up to the front desk clerk and what the hotel or resort's capacity rate is for that night or the week.  Also, what weighs heavily into whether or not you obtain an upgrade or not is the way you present yourself to the Hotel clerk.  I am always polite and respectful. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Spot on lone6star.

I always check the room types available online a couple of weeks out and then call the hotel front desk to ask very very politely for an upgrade to the type of room we desire......even better I ask the wife to do make the call as she has yet to fail!  But I'm not Gold either so the status might have something to do with your chances.  If the rooms we want look like a sell out then when we arrive at the hotel we always are friendly and cordial to the front desk associates even joking with them when we ask for an upgraded room.  Amazing how that works.

Tonight and last night I stayed at 2 different Marriott's as I am on college tours for one of my children.  At both hotels I received free upgrades to one bedroom King Suites.  It's been a long time, since i have been denied an upgrade---maybe I"ve been lucky!

shashack Platinum 4 Reviews

I would not expect much if any upgrade from a Ritz (at least that has been my experience).  That said, usually no upgrade is needed for a nice experience at the Ritz properties.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

We've only used points at a Ritz once, in Barcelona, but they gave us extraordinary (literally breathtaking) rooms.  We asked for (and received) two adjoining rooms, both were (quite) large (by any objective standard), had jaw-dropping views with wonderful window seating, and the larger one was a corner with an outrageous amount of glass on both sides.  In the larger room, we had them bring in an extra bed (and it was a real single bed - not a flimsy temporary bed), and even that didn't make the room feel crowded.

I raved about that experience here: http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/thread/6666

terere2 Platinum 5 Reviews

I have Gold status and have been upgraded when using points or certificates, the former without asking and the latter upon request.  This past December we spent a night at the New York Marriott Marquis and were upgraded to a CL room with a fantastic view of Times Square.  It was a real treat and the agent checking me in told me that people would be fighting for the room the next night (12/31).  I didn't request it but it was a great perk for a points stay.  For a couple of stays with family at different RIs I asked for a 2 bedroom suite and was upgraded.  In all cases we were only at the property for one night so I'm sure the associates saw an opportunity to provide the upgrade.  This wouldn't have worked for a week long stay.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Agree that it is luck of the draw on upgrades: how the associate feels when you call or check in, the hotel's load, the average price per night for that day, and other intangibles.  But it never hurts to try and of course, to be polite!!!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with anadyr, it's a real **** shoot as far as I'm concerned. I've been given an regular room more often than an upgrade, so I've come not to expect anything and if I am granted an upgrade, all the better.

2puravida Platinum

We were gold MR for many years and frequently were upgraded, when I requested. Upgrades happened even on reward stays...except in some other countries we were in (India, Costa Rica, England) Now that we are Platinum, hoping for favor overseas!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

It is always good to ask, and a smile goes a long way toward making things better at check in.

coachk25 Gold 8 Reviews

am staying at FF Midway for 5 nights on my rewards (Gold) and 1 night on wife's (silver) with 2 kids (M/F)......have a 2 Queen room but website is showing  a King/sofa (w/.room for a rollaway) for same price as well as a junior suite for about $30 more a night.....checking in tomorrow.......should I get the upgrade if I ask nicely....will be happy with either as it will be "tight" sleeping in the 2Q room......and would it be a shock if they said no due to length or for my wife's night?

carolinacouple Platinum 2 Reviews

We have had great luck getting upgraded while using points.  The two best rooms we have been given were presidential suites, once in Charlotte and another time in Las Vegas.  We have stayed at the Charlotte Ritz on three occasions using points, we were upgraded two out of the three times.

bud Gold

Just stayed at Phil Marriott (huge - 1400 rooms) on an Annual CC Certificate. I'm Lifetime Gold. Called ahead and asked for Upgrade. Upgrade to King Executive (huge suite) was waiting when I checked in. Over the years, I used points and certs and generally got an upgrade, especially when I was Platinum for many years. Just ask.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I've been fortunate to get an upgrade almost every points stay. I've never had a point stay at Ritz, so I'm not sure how they do, but the regular Marriott Hotels have been great.

Same here---in fact when i have numerous reservations at the same hotel, they usually make a notation in the "future weeks'" reservations for the upgrade.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...