16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 7:48 AM by anadyr RSS

New Top Tier for Rewards Program

retiredbkr Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

The Calgary Herald reported today that Mariott will be introducing a new Top Tier to their Rewards Program in May.  Any word as to what this will include?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: New Top Tier for Rewards Program
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

This is what they are probably referring to:

2013 Marriott Rewards Hotel Category Changes List

Above is a link to the thread. Nice PDF provided.

BUT WOW! 1/3 of the properties going up in category. Including a new category 9 covering most of Paris and London. Tons of cat 4 props going to 5 and 5's going to 6.  Very FEW decreases.  Make your 2013 reservations now and start saving points!  The value of points just went down a bit.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Hi retired:

I think the Calgary Herald was referring to the new Category 9 level for certain hotels that is being introduced May 15.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

To me it sounds like an elite tier other than Silver, Gold or Plat.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I heard it will be reserved for the top one tenth of one percent and be called the "nobody gets it" level.

seattlite Platinum

This is outrageous.  Points were stretched back in 2010 and now it happens again.  Further, Marriott failed to email its members regarding this point update debacle.  Even Hilton manage to communicate large scale point changes like this.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I don't think there's a need to get your panties in a bunch over this. If what was said is true, that 1/10 of 1% will earn Uber-Plat, that would be a small amount.

What puzzles me is, what could a new level possibly offer? "Possible" upgrades, 750 bonus points upon check-in, lounge access?

I think the new level will include free use of the hotel guestroom's bathrooms, a small towel and perhaps soap and shampoo without an upcharge--but that's just speculation on my part (PS--I am part of the new Rhodium Elite Fan Club, so there!)

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Thanks madmax for the link to the pdf. If you're interested, here's a link to the announcement from the same time: First look at 2013 hotel category changes – Book before May 16, 2013 using 2012 hotel categories within the Exclusive News blog.

seattlite Platinum

why doesn't Marriott announce these changes broadly and boldly via email?  Members should not have to discover these changes by accident reading through these blogs.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

This will be interesting!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

It would only make sense that now that many more folks can/will qualify for lifetime platinum, there will be a need for a higher level with teeth in it for those top 1-3% of active travelers.  Isn't it ironic that many of us (led by ss, I believe) pushed for a "Plutonium" level years ago only to be rebuffed (or ignored) by management.  However, I would imagine that this conversation was related to the new category 9 level of properties and had nothing to do with elite status.  we'll see.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm still not thinking this is a new Rewrds Level....aka Plutonium.......Isn't this all about Cat 9s?

seattlite Platinum

this is about a new, higher category.  We already have Platinum Premier that's not even officially touted as an available status.  What's next, Platinum Premier Executive?

Plat 5 star

erc Platinum

This is what your card will look like when it's not mailed out:

That is unless you guys are under Double Secret Probation (which will not be disclosed either).

Mine came in a land speeder

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...