20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 5:35 PM by marriottmemberfromla RSS

Overrated destinations?

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Link to an article I came across: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/David%20Landsel/10-terribly-overrated-destinations_b_3030348.html?utm_hp_ref=travel

What are your thoughts? are there any cities that you have visited that have been a disappointment?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
  • Re: Overrated destinations?
    muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

To each their own opinions, but Detroit over San Francisco and Vancouver???

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sg1974 Gold

you are right each to their own. There are some strange selections on the list.

i Just thought this would be an interesting conversation starter that people could share their own experiences in overrated destinations.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sg,

This was an interesting article, and you pose an equally intriguing question.  In reviewing my response below, it occurs to me to beg of you to please allow me to bloviate.

I am fairly discerning about where and why I want to go somewhere, and tend to be clear about what I want and don't want.  Since travel can be so expensive in terms of both time and money, I don't go somewhere unless I'm reasonably certain that I'm going to like it and that it's somewhere that suits my taste and fancy.  As a result, it's difficult if not impossible to be disappointed.  Point of fact, I’ve not traveled anywhere, in terms of a city or country that I haven’t enjoyed.  In this age of information that we find ourselves in, it seems to me that there’s no real excuse to end up disappointed with a destination choice, except perhaps in being disappointed with a particular hotel or restaurant, as those choices are often made based upon the opinions of others who are often strangers or else acquaintances who don't share or understand our personal tastes.  If we’ve done our destination homework, we should basically know what we’re in for.  I’ve never been to Chicago, but I’ve done enough research to know that when I go, it’s going to be a good time.  Santa Fe on the other hand?  Still not sure, need to look into it some more.  I might like it.  I might not.  But since I’ll probably visit there someday on my way to somewhere else, the stakes aren’t that high.

I’m not one to travel to a place never visited on the recommendation of someone or simply because it’s popular, or simply because it’s there, unless there’s little at stake (if something is already close by where I’m at, for instance.)  A place has to have beckoned me somehow.  There are places that I’ve been that I don’t feel a need to return to.  Tokyo comes to mind.  Vancouver, BC.  La Defense.  Branson.  Salt Lake City.  Cabo San Lucas (except for racing those wonderfully fun Americas Cup yachts that one can only do there).  Munich.  Nuremberg.  Rothenberg.  But I don’t regret visiting these places.  Most of what I’ve seen in Germany is simply because my kids have been living there, and so these places have been somewhat convenient/proximal.  Berlin isn’t so convenient to Bavaria, and since I’ve no passion to visit Berlin, I have not done so, and thereby won’t be disappointed.

I can think of only one time that I did something that was a disappointment and that was walking from Luxembourg Palace over to Rue du Bac, and then down Rue du Bac to Blvd Saint-Germain.  That was a bust.  I had heard that Rue du Bac was an interesting street, and maybe it used to be, but not anymore, at least to my mind.  I had an almost disappointment (I’m sure), when we stood in line for 45 minutes one night for an 11:30pm show at the Moulin Rouge.  It was over 100€/person, plus a taxi since the metro would be closed by the time the show ended, and fortunately we hadn’t paid for our tickets (we only had reservations), and came to our senses whilst waiting in the queue.  We ditched our plans for a much better alternative.  With the exception of the Basilique, the touristy section of Monmartre between Blanche and Pigalle was a bit of a bust, and the time could’ve been spent better elsewhere in Paris.  But then on the other hand, I like spending time in Le Marais (even though I’m neither Jewish nor gay), so to each his/her own.  Unless one is a French military or Italian art history buff, I think that both the Musée de l'Armée in Paris and the Uffizi Gallery in Florence require a tour guide to be fully appreciated, else one may be underwhelmed due to lack of knowledge. The Ponte Vecchio in Florence is overrated, unless you can get a private tour (expensive) of the art gallery above the gold shops, but the view of the bridge, river and city as seen at sunset from the Piazza Michelangelo is spectacular and not to be missed.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Well, I would say that this article confirms for me there is no journalistic integrity in their travel writings either.........

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg,

This guy doesn't seem to like much of anyplace!

I am like Pluto, in that I have liked most everyplace I have been to.  Just some more than others.

Can't think of a place I would not go back to, but some I will just never make again.

Thanks for sharing with us!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Reading the article I have to agree with tef6178, journalist talents today do not seem to exist.

There are a few spots I can think of I'd never go back to again either for it being unsafe now or we simply didn't enjoy much about the local area, just not many of them at all.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This reminds me of scene in the movie "Citizen Kane" where Wells tells Cotton to write something positive and he quits. Unfortunately this time Cotton was told to write something negative and he did not quit.

Opinions are interesting, but just that--opinions.

anadyr,

Wow, was that movie boring!

I have tried to watch it many times, and I loved to see Orson Wells, (He was a magician, who joined fellow magician, Johnny Carson at The Magic Castle in Hollywood}.

Citizen Kane, has been named the best movie in American History, but I don't get it?

"Rosebud, me out"!

Jerry the technical genius of Wells was far ahead of his time.  His ability to show not tell (as a good writer would) was legendary.  Overall, it's had NO special effects, the actors actually speak their lines without a dialog reader to fall back on, and the scenery is great.  One of my favs as you can tell.  If you've visited Hearst's Castle in CA you'll see th."e real Kand and its not "sugar coated

anadyr,

Wells was famous at "The Magic Castle" in Hollywood.  He was a tremendous talent!

Feel bad about my comment, but I just didn't care for the movie.

Give me The Godfather, Gone With the Wind, or The Wizard of OZ.

Like you say, just and opinion!

Like Technicolor Black and White movies seem more real and less manufactured than the CGI loaded ones of today.  But then it will allow us all to make those choices.

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

An interesting article.  I haven't explored Detroit as much as other cities, but I wouldn't say it is a good alternative to Chicago, which is a very good city.  I think a better choice than Detroit would be Pittsburgh, which has a distinct look, those iconic bridges, surprisingly good food, and a great baseball park (PNC Park).

I have been to Houston and that was a disappointing city.  It is kind of depressing looking.  It is significantly different from Austin so I would say that Houston is not a suitable alternative to Austin.  Austin has a nice downtown area and I think the future JW Marriott there will be a good one.

I do agree with his comments on Bay Area at large over just San Francisco.  A lot of people go to San Francisco and don't get a car because SF is a walkable city (and there is decent public transportation when you need it).  But I think if you have a car, you will have a much more complete experience.  Driving over the Golden Gate Bridge is great.  There are some great places in the South Bay like Woodside, Stanford, Los Gatos, and the restaurant Manresa.  Berkeley is nice and both Sonoma County and Napa Valley are great, beautiful country--Sonoma if you are looking for something more farm country and rustic or Napa if you are looking for something more upscale.

marriottmemberfromla,

Thanks for your post!

Have never been to Austin, but find Houston a nice place to go!

Just once, I want to make it to San Jacinto, and pay my respect to all the Texans who fought there.

I happen to really enjoy Texas, and their spirit of freedom.

That's right jerrycoin Houston is a great city to live in, I even like our skyline as well.  Friendly people everywhere yet Austin has it's fine points as well, and I was slightly shocked at the Austin/Houston pick since Austin, but that's his survey.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Having lived in both Houston and Dallas, and spent a lot of time in Austin while one of our daughters schooled there, I would say that all three of those cities, as well as San Antonio, are all great places.   My wife favored our 9 years in Houston, while I favored our 22 years in Dallas, but we both agree that Austin and San Antone are wonderful places to visit.

BTW, I love Jerry's comment about Liking everywhere he's ever been, just some more than others.  Of course, there is Cleveland...............

shoeman,

Thanks for your "BTW"!

Now I also like Houston and Dallas.  Have never been to Austin.  The dining in Houston is especially memorable, Tony's, Columbe d'Or, Ninfa's, The Galleria, et all!  Same with some great places in Dallas/Ft. Worth!

Thanks to remind me of these memories.

Oh you guys are making me hungry to eat at home soon.....but Mama Nifna's I believe has finally sold out even the original place on Navigation.....but we do have a plethora of other joints to visit.,  

IAHFLYR,

Must share with you my first business experience in Houston in 1980.

The CFO, took me to Mama Ninfas for lunch, he ordered a "pitcher" of a margarita's for  just us two!  I don't drink at lunch, and I was "Out of it" for the rest of the day!

The next day they take me to "Otto's" BBQ, and just missed seeing Sonny Bono (RIP", it was wonderful.

Houston has so much "Uniqueness" that the "Good life of Texas" doesn't get appreciated by those that have never been there!

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I haven't spent much time in Houston, but after reading the other posts, it looks like I need to explore it more (the people were very friendly there <especially at the Courtyard I stayed at>, but I felt that was consistent with all of my time in Texas).  Having visited Dallas, Houston and Austin though, I felt all three cities were very different so if someone was planning to go to Austin, I don't think going to Dallas or Houston would be the best alternatives.

I always hear people compare Portland, Oregon to Austin.  They even use the same slogan: "Keep <insert city> Weird."  Maybe if someone felt Austin was overrated, Portland might be the best alternative.  Portland is a very nice city (beautiful area with very good food and interesting shopping/events).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...