3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2013 6:20 PM by jerhenz RSS

Marriott Rewards Premier Visa - Unable to Upgrade?

tsolaaa Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hey Everyone,

I have been with Chase for over 10 years and a Marriott member for over five, never missed a payment on any cards, never overdraft, hold many accounts with them and have a high FICO score, yet when I called to upgrade my regular Marriott Rewards Visa to the Premier version, they declined me. I have tried two times, (neither representative said they had to run my credit) and both said "The system doesn't tell us why you are being declined"

Both rep's said that I would receive a reason letter in the mail, which I did, but only said "Sorry, but we are unable to upgrade you now" (Or something similar)

My question is, has anyone else expierenced this problem trying to upgrade their card to the premier version?

I will be doing quite a bit of international travel in the coming months and would like to upgrade for both the EMV compatibility as well as the no forex fees.

I realize that I can always submit an application for the Premier card, but much rather not.

I have had this card for about seven months, so maybe it's time related? (Need be an account holder for XX months/years before you can upgrade?)

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards Premier Visa - Unable to Upgrade?
    madmax Gold 7 Reviews

Sorry tsolaaa I am afraid I can't imagine why you would be turned down. I had no problem with upgrading my Visa a couple of years ago. Check terms and conditions below to see if any of this might be why:

"Before we approve you for a credit card, we will review your credit report and the information you provide with your response to confirm that you meet the criteria for this offer. Based on this review, you may not receive a card.

You must be at least 18 years old to qualify (19 in AL and NE). An applicant, if married, may apply for a separate account.

We reserve the right to change the benefit features associated with your card at any time.

New York Residents: New York residents may contact the New York State Banking Department at 1-800-518-8866 to obtain a comparative list of credit card rates, fees, and grace periods.

Ohio Residents: The Ohio laws against discrimination require that all creditors make credit equally available to all customers, and that credit reporting agencies maintain separate histories on each individual upon request. The Ohio Civil Rights Commission administers compliance with the law.

Notice to Married Wisconsin Residents: No provision of any marital property agreement, unilateral statement or court decree adversely affects our rights, unless you give us a copy of such agreement, statement or court order before we grant you credit, or we have actual knowledge of the adverse obligation. All obligations on this account will be incurred in the interest of your marriage or family. You understand that we may be required to give notice of this account to your spouse. Married Wisconsin residents must furnish their (the applicant's) name and social security number as well as the name and address of their spouse to Cardmember Service at P.O. Box 15218, Wilmington, DE 19850-5218."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

tsolaaa,

Too funny I read this just after I got off the phone with Chase to advise them of some upcoming international travel.  When she informed me of the 3% charge she then asked if wanted to upgrade the card to avoid the charge and get other benefits etc., so who knows why they wouldn't upgrade your card.  I really don't think it is an issue of the amount of time being a card member, but I would check my credit score and credit report for anything weird showing up before you accept their reason in a letter.

jerhenz Platinum

I had a simular problem, they wouldn't upgrade, but offered I could and did reapply for the premier card, thus duplicating my credit card accounts. They said the first card had to be held a certain period of time before they could upgrade. It took a few different reps to get to the bottom of the issue.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...