31 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 9:17 AM by ksinghal Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Spouse [gold elite]in room w/ platinum elite charged for breakfast Renaissance Charleston SC

lrak18 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

In all our travels spouse has always been welcome with me in concierge lounge or complimentary breakfast when no lounge exists. The Charleston, S.C. Renaissance says spouse must pay for breakfast because new policy restricts breakfast to elite member on reservation only... We are registered as staying 2 in the room but only one may have comp breakfast.

Is this anyway to reward loyalty? this is outrageous, has anyone else run into this? How can we impact the system that so dreadfully mistreats it's best customers.

fyi, spouse is gold elite and I am platinum.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Charleston, South Carolina, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel
  • Re: Spouse [gold elite]in room w/ platinum elite charged for breakfast Renaissance Charleston SC
    sg1974 Gold

i have never experienced this, my wife & daughter have always received breakfast or entrance to concierge lounge with me.

if that is the new policy then I'll be staying elsewhere as there will be no advantage being an elite member for me.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Spouse [gold elite]in room w/ platinum elite charged for breakfast Renaissance Charleston SC
    erc Platinum

Irak - thanks for the heads up (who would have thought)

My wife and I were going there for two nights on the way to Hilton Head (and it's not a low cost property - anytime). Read your post, called the property and confirmed; No CL,  breakfast is provided, but for member on reservation only. Myrtle Beach sounds pretty good. The future is now - ouch

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

If this is a new Marriott policy, and another benefit taken away, then I will start switching reservations I have for next week and the rest of the year away from Marriot. COMMUNITY MANAGAGER: IF YOU READ THIS, PLEASE, TELL US WHAT IS GOING ON!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

WOW, did I really just see this post and might this be the wave of the future or simply some hotel GM tossing their weight around?

If this is a Marriott wide new policy then it should clearly have been sent to all MR members ahead of time explaining the reasons for this change.

If it's a new policy then I'm with stelzer001 and after our Cayman trip at the end of this week I will also cancel my upcoming reservations at any and all Marriott properties and find ways to dump my points fast.  

Location Brand Hotel
    Charleston, South Carolina, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Charleston Historic District Hotel
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I have never seen this and hope that the policy if there is on, is reversed.  Given the "guests" who invade the concierge lounges by tailgating in, or jsut being a friend of someone, I am not sure that there is a policy that forbids anyone from haivng breakfast.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

wow, I think that is the sadest thing I've heard so far regarding Marriott and concierge lounges. And I thought it was bad that we didn't get breakfast on weekends! I have brought along a guest to the lounges before when all co-workers are travelling together and all have access to lounge except one. If ever my spouse was turned down or had to pay for breakfast in the lounge, I would be totally upset and that would probably be my last personal visit to any Marriott. I still have to do business travel with Marriott but I certainly don't have to dedicate my personal travel to them. I can change points to miles and get benefits that way just as easily.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Irak:

Some clarification please....was the breakfast for your spouse refused in a CL or in a restaurant because there was no CL in the hotel?

Either way, I think it's a ridiculous policy to exclude spouses, significant others, etc from getting breakfast when they are staying in the same room but it's good to know which area was the offender.

You should have dropped this on the hotel or did you?

Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Breakfast

Help yourself to light snacks, beverages and complimentary continental breakfast in our Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge at participating JW Marriott Hotels, the Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels and Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If your hotel doesn’t have a Concierge/Executive/Club Lounge, we invite you to enjoy complimentary continental breakfast on your weekday stays. Outside the U.S. and Canada, you are entitled to continental breakfast 7 days a week. (Not available at resort locations.) In the event that this guarantee is not met, a guest compensation of $100 USD* will be issued to Elite members. [GOLD/PLATINUM] 

lrak18 Platinum 1 Reviews

thank you to all who have commented here........let me add an update........I was prepared , as IAHFLYR suggested, with the same citation. after our 3rd and final night we went to the desk to complain about the charge for the spouse breakfast [no CL available] and asked whether this was a rule from the hotel or from Marriott Rewards.....front desk believed it was from Renaissance official about all Marriott properties. I noted MR lets one know in advance about changes to the program, like the reclassification of hotels and there has been no notice about this. It seems to be bad business to make a major change at point of service without prior notification. Desk was apologetic and made note to communicate concerns to 'higher authorities' and waived the breakfast fees, they said it was only a continental breakfast that is supposed to be offered but this property has a buffett, not CB. Nonetheless, staff were very sympathetic. It helped them that spouse was gold elite also and the point was made that the room key is the pass to CL.

Anyway.......ERC it is a great location so standing your ground on the breakfast issue might be worth it. Squeaky wheel thing might help here......the more irate guests they face might help them get word 'upstairs' that this is a bad policy.....It is not clear that it is MARRIOTT policy. Have any folks run into this anywhere else?

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Any official ruling on this yet?

Not that I've seen.

typical Marriott - ignore, deny and then say they didn't know, or better yet, they did a survey (not that any of us insignificant insiders would ever be included) and this is the result. sorry for the negativity, but I have learned that short of inappropriate posts, noone from Marriott never pays attnetion to anything on these boards

eb5147 Alumni Steward Platinum 7 Reviews

The community managers really do pay attention.  They're the best as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe they just wanted to verify a few more details and needed to talk a bit further to get them.  They really have to be careful of what they say and can be caught in the middle so easily.

given the amount of time that has passed, any potential response would be communicated, so my disappointment is that there has been no such communication.

erc Platinum

Stelzer - you nailed it. Disappointingly, the balkanization of Marriott brands and their specific policies and then within that, the individualized implementation/interpretation of the policies has really handcuffed any type of effective customer service communication. Having said that, I do think (the same way I thought there should have been a more formal announcement about the expiration of the $1,000 gift cheque - which I didn't use, so my comments were in regard to communication,not lost benefits) when we post a direct question on Insiders to the NathalieF some type of response should be provided.

Marriott just celebrated “Steamrolling past one million Facebook fans so quickly proves our strategy of putting social media front and center is working and continues to engage the next generation of travelers,” said Michael Dail , VP, Global Brand Marketing, Marriott Hotels & Resorts. “Thank you to all our fans for liking us so often. We are committed to transforming and deepening Marriott’s conversation with our guests in the social space.”

This seems to be where the action is for responses - even if they are like the following (this was/is an actual post):

Hi there Marriott Rewards!  What's the latest on bringing back the E195 or discounting the 1k gift cards for your Platinum Premier and/or Lifetime Platinum members to a more reasonable redemption price?  There was a flurry of activity on that back in February, but since then, nothing/nada/zilch.  I'm finishing up the April with 8 more nights over 3 stays, but all my May and beyond travel is booked with SPG until something is resolved with this.  Hate to have to do this as I enjoy Marriott properties, but with this devaluation of the points, it's not so welcoming any more.
            Marriott Rewards Hi Larry - Nothing to report at this time in regards to the E195 or the 1K gift cards. Sorry to disappoint you. April 18 at 11:42am
            stelzer - I agree with your statement that we are 'insignificant Insiders' when it comes to impacting policy. If you ever wanted a specific response to an inquiry or complaint, post it on Facebook, they almost always respond within 24 hours (even if it's to say there's nothing they can do about it or "we'll pass it along etc"). Amusingly, they also often refer the masses to Insiders for "travel or rewards program expertise"
            In the for what it's worth category - The Renaissance Charleston SC - does not have a concierge lounge and provides a breakfast coupon for the platinum only M-F (no one else). They, at the property (I've called three times) don't know if this is a specific property policy or a brand policy (my three answers were;  1) "it's a Renaissance policy"   2) "it's just ours, I think"  3) "I don't know about others" , which when you think about it, is probably the reality of the situation - thus no formal answer. Try the 1 800 535 4028 customer service number and listen to what happens (no, don't really, you'll be wasting your time).
            So in summary - I decided to stipulate to myself that every property (again, sadly) needs to be specifically confirmed regarding the particular benefit I'm seeking which can result in different outcomes based on who I get on the other end of the phone (can we say Megabonus?). Is it the way it should be, of course not, but being right is overrated and tilting at this windmill might take my focus off of finding the best of what's out there. And as I've written before, it's the way I'm going to expect it to remain until Marriott needs it to be otherwise.

cspauld2 Platinum 26 Reviews

I had a similar experience at the JW Marriott in Atlanta.  Lounge closed on the weekend no breakfast available.  That is not what the web sight states.

superchief1 Platinum

I have had mixed experience regarding this policy. I recently stayed at a wonderful Renaissance in CA (location withheld to protect properties who care about loyal customers). Since they did not have a CL, my wife and I were provided a fantastic full buffet breakfast every day (we weren't there on a weekend, but I think weekends are included).

However, we were considering a future stay at the Renaissance Vinnoy, who had offered full complimentary breakfasts prior to the previous 'corporate standard' policy being enforced. When I called to check, I learned they now offer a $10 voucher only for the platinum member (I think weekends are excluded). I will not stay at a Marriott property on vacation unless they provide breakfast, so they are now off my consideration list.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Hi Irak18 - I'm glad to see the issue was resolved while you were still at the hotel. There has been no change and you're absolutely right that any changes like that would be communicated to members.

Am I correct then in my thinking this is an isolated incident or should we expect this type of further devaluation of Gold/Platinum benefits at other hotels as well?

erc Platinum

Communitymanager - thanks for responding. By responding it gives Insiders the opportunity to assess for ourselves the answer to IAHFLYR's question - for example, my answer would be; yes, it is an isolated incident and (not or) yes, we should expect this type of further devaluation of Gold/Platinum benefits at other hotels as well (which, no one should properly expect you to have to speculate - it's a lose/lose for you).

And yes,  your statement that Irak18 is "absolutely right that any changes like that would be communicated to members" in what I describe as the new world of Marriott, is broad enough to be accurate. The changes would be communicated - the issue (which Insiders should decide for themselves, rather than attempting to pin you guys down - unfair accountability) would be whether the communication was effective (like the BOGO or Gift Cheque deaths - drip, drip, drip, GONE).

Again, to me, a Jay Carney response is better than nothing (providing us the chance to read the tea leaves) and by responding to direct questions like you do on Facebook, we might avoid some of the ambiguous confusion, allowing us to postulate among ourselves.

Every now and then, just give us one of these - we'll get it - thanks

ksinghal Platinum

Sorry to hear that this happened to you Irak18. Never happened to me, however I have not been happy with the service standards at some properties. This is just teribble in my opinion.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...