12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2013 2:13 AM by jerrycoin RSS

London afternoon tea

sg1974 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

this article may be of use to some travellers if they wish to have afternoon tea on a trip to London:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/duchess-of-cambridges-wedding-hotel-is-top-of-the-pots-for-afternoon-tea-8565941.html

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, England, United Kingdom Marriott Hotels & Resorts London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
  • Re: London afternoon tea
    pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Sg,

I appreciate your post and would love to take tea at one of these places on my trip to London next year, but first must learn proper etiquette essentials for taking an English high tea.   I wouldn't want to embarrass myself or my country.   (Or perhaps that ship has sailed.  )

Well, no slurping.  I got that much.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I did some reading, so I now feel that I can 'represent' at an afternoon Tea, beginning with not 'taking' tea, but drinking it.  I also now know how to properly eat a scone!  Who knew that there was a right way and a wrong way to eat a scone?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

sg,

I too would have to respond like pluto!

Never had "Afternoon tea"!  But the story makes it sound excellent!

Thanks for sharing with us, and don't forget to come to County Hall on May 15th, if you can.  We hope to have a few MRI show up and relax!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Ah yes, afternoon tea. a genteel stop at the end of a busy day.

I have done this at a number of places both in London and in the countryside, though London's is more formal and elegant.  The Royal Horseguards hotel has an excellent one; but the basic (which is not so basic) fare ranges from 20£ to 40£ per person.  Not for the budget conscious traveler that's for sure.  But a do it once kind of thing.

Champagne is included in some of the choices as shown here.

It is a bit expensive.  When we were in Victoria once, our budget (time and funds) gave us a choice between taking a bus tour of the various neighborhoods in Victoria or doing an afternoon tea at the Empress hotel where we were staying.  We chose the bus tour.  Next time, even though we will be staying at the Marriott , I would like to do the afternoon tea at the Empress.  I'm glad we didn't do the tea back then.  I would've no doubt embarrassed myself.

I saw the champagne option.  I don't get it.  Isn't that sort of like having coffee with your afternoon wine stop?  To each his/her own preference.  (I think "I stop for wine" would make a great bumper snicker.  Sort of like the saying "I cook with wine.")  I do apologize Sg, but in the end, all things lead to wine.

There is a lot of afternoon buzz surrounding the tea affair.  But I agree that''s a stretch to have tea and champagne--forget the tea, that's my motto.  If you're ever in Devon have the tea with scones and clotted cream--the best!

Might I want Devonshire cream if I had tea and scones in Devon?

Absolutely

sg1974 Gold

yes these afternoon teas can be expensive. But there are always deals on the various sites like Groupon. The quality can vary though so it is a good idea to read some reviews. We have been to a few of these places and they have generally been fine.

I agree, and most of the time you're paying for the surroundings not the tea!

anadyr,

OK, I am going to see if some of our MRI friends will join me on my first "Afternoon Tea" in London!

Arkwright, Chris and Sg, let's do it.  I might have to have a little of "Pluto's" champagne!

Could we do it at the Ritz?  Only after we meet at CH!

anadyr,

I am going!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...