0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 9:53 AM by arevalo180 RSS

First World Series Championship for 2 Cities Separated by the Sea

arevalo180 Member
Currently Being Moderated

I remember the Fall of 1997 when the Florida Marlins won their first world series (before everybody was traded) but it might not be known to most people that that was the year that the first baseball player from Colombia obtained a championship ring. Edgar Renteria was the short stop of that team and by destiny was also the player that brought in the winning run in the eleventh inning of the seventh game. I remember I was watching the game in Renteria's hometown, Barranquilla, but when the Marlins tied the game in the ninth inning, I could not finish watching because I had to go to work (I was already late for the graveyard shift). During the trip to work, I was listening to the end of the game over the radio and it was amazing what happened when Renteria went to bat in the eleventh. During his turn, the whole city was silent observing their idol and wishing for a hit. When the ball slipped pass the pitcher and it was a certainty that the Marlins and Edgar had won the game and the championship, the city erupted and started partying like the Marlins were from Barranquilla and not a city more than 1,000 miles away, across the Caribbean Sea. I went to work that night but I think my productivity was near zero because we were reliving the game all night.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Miami, Florida,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...