0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 9:15 AM by zdh17788 RSS

2003 NLDS Playoffs

zdh17788 Gold
Currently Being Moderated

One of my greatest memories from the 2003 playoffs was NOT the Steve Bartman fiasco, but rather started in the NLDS when the Cubs faced the Atlanta Braves.  Fast forward to Game 3 of that series.  First game at Wrigley, series tied at one game a piece.  The Chicago Cubs had the up and coming phenom Mark Prior going against the "Professor", and former Cub, Greg Maddux.  The secret to beating Greg Maddux was to get to him early, because once he found the strike zone your offense would be shut down completely.  The Cubs did just that by scoring two runs in the bottom of the first inning.  After those two runs, both pitchers were masterful the remainder of the game.  Both pitched deep into the 8th and were painting corners.  Mark Prior was definitely the story in this game though.  He only gave up two hits, whlie leading the Cubs to 3-1 victory in an amazing game.  The atmosphere at Wrigley was unforgettable and that single experience turned me into a life long Cubs fan.  The level of baseball knowledge around the park that night was unmatched.  Every two strike pitch brought on standing and cheers.  Every close pitch was scrutinized or applauded based on which way it went.  This experience transformed me forever, but I would be back at Wrigley a few years later for another huge moment in MY baseball history...  My second post is when Greg Maddux threw strike out number 3,000 on a cold and raining night at Wrigley.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...