7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 8:44 PM by lone6star RSS

"Loyalty, we hardly knew ye," he cried in anguish, over lunch.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Check out this conversation a fellow had over lunch.

"Loyalty programs have taken over our wallets, our key rings and now our smartphones, but how loyal do all these loyalty cards make consumers? The bulk of my loyalty has nothing to do with loyalty cards. I shop most often at the closest grocery store. I go to the ice cream shop with the best ice cream. I take the flights that best fit my schedule and have the best price, and I take a similar approach with hotels."

Sounds very familiar.  Like the carrier pigeon, perhaps we have seen the beginning of the end of loyalty programs as we know and knew them, who can say?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: "Loyalty, we hardly knew ye," he cried in anguish, over lunch.
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

I am going to stay "Positive" and just take it a little at a time!

We will see?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I suspect it matters not which Loyalty program you discuss, the programs have matured and this devaluation of benefits is a clear sign that the 'salad' days are, in anadyr's words "in the rearview mirror.  Quite possibly, these programs were wearing out years ago, but were artificially held together during the economic downturn.  Now that times have improved (relatively), the bean counters have taken over.  Also, you can be sure that all industry's observe not only what is going on within their group, but also in other industry's to monitor the effects of moving the goal posts.  I'm also of the belief that there is no turning back for these company's and, as far as loyalty programs go, the 'good old days' are gone.

Oh, for the days of 'triple miles'........... doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago????? I recall a trip to the Far East where I racked up close to 100k miles.  And this was in the days of non-diluted program awards.

lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Changing this to triple points---last year I stayed in NYC for business for one night at a Hilton hotel and somehow earned 52,000 hilton reward points!  I think the rate I paid was $200 for the night!  Wish I could replicate that over and over!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...