1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 7, 2013 11:56 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Baseball Hall of Fame

golfrocks Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In going thru my grandfathers belongings I came across felt baseball cards with stamped names Urban Faber, a White Sox player and a small black and white photo attached.(I have attached a picture)  For years I carried these around and searched what they were and if the had any value (other than sentimental). My grandfather was a young man in the 1920's and loved baseball.He grew up in rural Missouri so there wasn't much fun except baseball and hard work!  I have many pictures of him as a young man and his friends in their uniforms. I never really had a chance to know him as he passed away when I was a young.

This summer I had the opportunity to visit the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. The research department their took time to help me find out the Felt Pennants were issued in 1916 and were giving away as premiums with the purchase of five cent loaves of Ferguson Bakery Bread in Roxbury, MA. They issued 97 different players. I have 5 Urban Fabers and 2 Gavvy Cravath of the Phillies. I would have to guess that my grandfather got these when he was a young man in World War One either from trading or from friends. Roxbury, MA is a long way from Northwest Missouri. I also found Urban Faber is a Hall of Famer who played for the White Sox from 1914-1933.

No I can't retire on the value of the pennants but it is so special to have a part of my grandfather knowing that these were something he cherished and saved.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Baseball Hall of Fame
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
    Currently Being Moderated

golfrocks,

Great story!

Hope it all works out for you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...