0 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2013 4:42 PM by geekabroad RSS

My first game

geekabroad Silver
Currently Being Moderated

This story is about my first softball game, not exactly baseball but still enjoyable.

I was the youngest of 3 and the only boy. My father was never into sports, nor most of the friends I grew up with. I spent most of my time on the computer, becoming your typical computer nerd. It wasn't until my early 20's that my love of the outdoors started to blossom. I started getting more active. I went hiking, sky diving, snorkeling, and whatever I could do to get outside. So when one of my friends said he was coaching a beginners softball team I jumped on the chance join. Well I wasn't very good, actually I was terrible. Practice after practice I tried my best, but I was still was rough around the edges. We finally have our first game and I was put in right field, where there was little to no action at that level. I stood around most of the time watching others make plays. I felt like I had been exiled to the position where I could do the least amount of damage. A bit resentful and down I was determined to prove myself. That's when the pop fly to right field happened. This was my chance to show everyone I had what it took. I had been practicing and knew what I needed to do, or at least I thought I did. I positioned myself right under the ball and held my glove up in the air. I felt the smack of the ball, but not in my glove. It had just missed my glove and landed right below my eye. I heard the collective gasp from both teams, and stood there in shock. The pain hadn't kicked in yet but I didn't know what to do. So I tried to do what I had practiced. I scrambled for the ball and threw it to the in field. I spent the remainder of the game icing my increasingly painful face. My eye ended up almost swelling closed and was purple for a good month. Luckily there was no damage and I was fine. Despite all this I wasn't discouraged. I practiced and played for years, getting better and better. I never needed to catch a ball with my face again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...