2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2008 5:07 PM by winesnob27 RSS

Maui.....Please

billyh Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I would love to hear from anyone with experiences staying at the Marriott properties on the east side of Maui.  I have stayed at another great resort (Non Marriott) on the north west shore, but some of the resorts I have seen on the east coast look wonderful, so please share any experiences, thank you.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Maui.....Please
    dealfinder Gold

My wife and I stayed at the Wailea Beach Marriott Resort and Spa on Maui last July.  The hotel was undergoing renovations, but that did not affect our stay at all.  The hotel was very nice and relaxing, and when they finish the renovations it should be even more beautiful.  The rooms were nice, and views spectacular.  I would highly recommend uprgading to an ocean front room if you stay at this hotel.  There are some shops and restauraunts within walking distance of this property, and there are 2 beaches a short walking distance to the north and south of the property.  The property is on the ocean, but it is mostly rocky in the area directly in front of the hotel.  We were aprehensive about staying in a hotel that did not have a beach directly in front of the property, but it really was no trouble at all.  There is also a nice luau held on the property several times a week at this location.  We are currently planning on staying at this location again on our next trip to hawaii (next year).  I would just recommend that if you plan on staying here that you check on the status of the construction, as some of the work to be done (i.e. new pool) could be noisy.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Maui.....Please
    winesnob27 Silver

We just returned from the Wailea Marriott.  It is indeed a beautiful, low key property.  Much of the renovations appear to be done, they are still working on the grounds though.  The infinity/serenity pool is complete and very nice, but very small w/ not much "free" seating available.  You have to be 18 or older to sit or swim there and they have a no cell phone policy and music must be played through headphones.  It is a very quiet, tranquil type space.  The infinity pool was very nice.  The problem is that much of the space around that pool is taken up with cabana and cabana type loungers for 2 that you must pay to use.  The cabanas that are built into the pool cost $100 per day and the loungers are $50 per day.  The free lounge chairs fill up quickly...I cant imagine what it would be like during the high season.  The waitresses that works this area are very nice and come by frequently.  There also cabana lounges for 2 that overlook the ocean on the grassy area by the lava rocks, these are also $50/day to rent.  IMHO, the view from this spot is priceless.  The other 2 pools near the serenity pool I believe are original to the property and they was also pretty crowded.  The people that work the towel huts are all very nice.  There is pretty good snorkeling right in front of the hotel.  You can enter down a grassy area near the lava rocks to the right as you look over the ocean.  You can rent the snorkeling gear from the regular pool towel hut for $9/hr. or $20/day. They use the dry snorkels.  The water is clear, the coral is very pretty there, there were turtles, and some fish, but not tons of them.  An hour was long enough.  There is another set of pools on other other side of the property which include a kiddie pool play area, 2 water slides (that adults can use also) and a non play area pool which always had chairs available.  But these pools have no services....no towel hut nor beverage or food service nearby.  The rooms are very nicely done and large, the beds and bedding are very comfortable.  Housekeeping....well the bed was made every day, the towels changed and the bathroom wiped down, but not much else.  The floors, which are tile....there are no rugs anywhere in the rooms were disgusting.  They were filthy and never washed, I dont even think they were swept.  We couldnt walk barefoot on them they were so gross.  The only food we ate at the hotel was from the pool bar, ordered and delivered by the pool waitress to our chairs.  It was pretty pricey, of course...close to $20 for a burger w/ chips, but it was huge and very good.  We shared it.  Kids shared a grilled chicken salad one day...also very good and the Maui onion rings at $8 for a huge order were delicious.  The resort fee of $25/day includes self parking (which is $15/day), coupons for 2 drinks (total during your stay) by the pool bar (which you can give to the waitress to get for you), 2 bottles of water per day that are in your room by the ice bucket, free local and long distance calling and some other stuff.  We were there on points, so we had the option of paying  the resort fee or just paying for the $15/day to park the car.  If you are not there on points, I think the fee is mandatory. If you want to valet your car it is $18/day (plus tip everytime).  You can get morning coffee either in the restaurant for $3.50 a cup as carry out or if you walk the path towards the Grand Wailea Resort  there is a coffee hut between the Marriott and Grand Wailea that has Starbucks Kona for $3/ cup, fresh fruit and muffins juice and the like.  They do not take room charges.  Right next to the hotel is the Shops at Wailea.  The ABC store there (upstairs) has a GREAT selection of wine at reasonable prices as well as liquor and beer, soda, juice, fruit also a great selection of snacks and necessities, little gifts, etc.  I love the ABC stores!  There is also Whaler's General Store (downstairs).  Very similar to ABC, but they have a full service deli counter.  Food there is great and reasonable.  We got lunch there several times.  You can buy stuff by the pound out of the case or have sandwiches made up fresh.  Both these stores were indispensible during our stay.  We had breakfast on our lanai every morning and lunch many days also from stuff we purchased there.  The path in front of the Marriott is great for running, power walking or just strolling.  If you go to the left you can walk past the Grand Wailea, Four Seasons and finally the Fairmont.  Its a really nice pathway, scenic.  The Marriott is definitely the poor relation when compared with those other resorts, but I dont believe their prices are quite as high either.  We had 2 rooms, one for us and one for our girls for 6 nights, both on points....it doesnt get any better than that! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...