34 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2013 1:44 AM by marriottmemberfromla RSS

Chicago Advice: Blackstone, JW, Rez Inn/Spring Hill Suites Combo, etc?

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Trusted advisors - I seek your wisdom and advice!

I'm taking the family to Chicago for a week this summer (and I'll probably use points).  I've stayed at (and enjoyed) the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile, and I'm considering that (although there won't be any concierge lounge service over the weekend).  I'm also looking at:

• Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel - I must say, this one looks quite intriguing (and I've had great luck with Renaissance over the years);
  • JW Marriott Chicago
  • Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel - location/view looks good to me;
  • Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
  • Spring Hill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
    • I like the location of this Residence Inn/Spring Hill Suites complex, but I'm curious if folks have stayed at either (or both).
    • As an aside, I've not seen something quite like this before - these two properties are in the same building!  I've seen Residence Inn, Courtyard, and Spring Hill Suites share complexes (particularly parking lots) before, but I'm not sure I've seen anything quite like this.  The Miami airport complex - with four hotels on one piece of property - comes to mind, but they do have separate entrances (and even addresses), as I recall.
  • The prices and points are - for all intents of purposes - a wash:  We're talking 120,000-140,000 points.  Parking will be the big expense ($35-55/day), plus, if we don't choose the Rez Inn or the SHS, we'll be shelling out for breakfast as well.

Thanks in advance for any experiences, advice, suggestions, input, etc.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North
Chicago, Illinois, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
Chicago, Illinois, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott SpringHill Suites Chicago Downtown/River North
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Blackstone Chicago Hotel
Chicago, Illinois, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Chicago
  • Re: Chicago Advice: Blackstone, JW, Rez Inn/Spring Hill Suites Combo, etc?
    erc Platinum

ssindc

Veteran traveler that you are, I'm won't bother discussing the locations and their various walking positions, so I'll just discuss my property thoughts - on each of the properties, I have had good fortune as a plat like yourself in getting excellent views, so make a contact and chat (use Trip Advisor, see who responds for property and drop them a note, they are very service oriented and will try their hardest to make your stay terrific) - somewhere in this labyrinth of insider forum, I and others have written more detailed reports, best of luck finding:

Renaissance Wacker Ave. - this is my favorite Chicago property - superb service, excellent Concierge Lounge, and especially for the summer a terrific river location.  Rates (especially summer) can as you'll see, get pricey - but it's a great stay.

Renaissance Blackstone - lovely property, not necessarily as flashy as Wacker but if you can secure a lakeview (and the park) it's terrific.

Excellent restaurant Mercat (but not as many nearby as others). I was able to get a corner unit over the 4th of July and had a great time watching the Pier fireworks from the room. Very nice art display on a floor. CL smaller, not a nice as Wacker, but does the job. Here's a key difference - they will give you coupons for weekend (but you must ask, and I don't know how many, but worth checking out prior to closing the deal).

SpringHill downtown - This is my go to off season (not your summer) 'steal' (at $90). I've only been there when there is low occupancy, (so I don't know what a high floor elevator experience would be like in the summer) but the service is great (four newspapers in the breakfast lounge which is kept well serviced) fun area nearby  - Rick Bayless restaurants, Harry Caray's, House of Blues, an entire price range of restaurants all within four blocks and easy distance to Michigan Ave.  Residence Inn uses the south side of the building (has its own breakfast area and they share check in lobbies) and often runs a bit more in $ but like you say is same category in points (go figure).

So in summary, I'm saying all three of the ones I mentioned would be fine stays and can be booked based upon your specific goals, knowing you'll be well cared for.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

SSinDC: I have stayed at the Ren on Wacker, JW and Blackstone (as the Marriott on Mag Mile). the SHS and RI's arent places I stay at in Chicago. here is my take: JW: nice central Loop location. Its built in an old historic bank building. Really lovely, nice rooms, but as noted no lounge on w/e. Its a short walk to the L and commuter train lines (Metra) and its close to State street and the shopping. Ren on Wacker: Its a nice hotel, right on the river, close to the L, short walk to Mag Mile, again, no lounge on w/e. Blackstone: historic hotel, recently renovated, on S. Micigan next to Hilton (site og 1968 Dem conv riots!), short walk to lakefront, Millenium Park, Buckinham Fountain, Art Institute, etc. No lounge on w/e. Iron Chef Gracas has the resturant (tapa's) at lobby level. Marriott Mag Mile: Great location, close to water tower, Oak St beach, shopping, again,no loung on w/e. Hope that helps and enjoy your trip

I've gone ahead and booked the Renaissance (using points).  I'm looking forward to it.  Thanks for the input!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

ssindc,

Which one did you book?

Sorry for not being specific - I booked the downtown Renaissance, on the river (and Wacker)....

ssindc,

Good choice!

This will allow you to "Walk" to a lot more places!

Enjoy!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerrycoin

ssindc

Yep, the Renaissance Wacker, that's our favorite spot in Chicago as we walk all over the place to some outstanding shopping, dining and music http://www.theredheadpianobar.com/!  If you haven't been to the piano bar it's excellent with top talent every time we've visited.  Booked our room with points over a long weekend in early October when the leaves should be perfectly bright and the humidity bearable (and this comes from a resident of Houston ).

THANKS!

ssindc,

Have a great trip, and let us know how it goes!  You may want to walk across the street and take this great "River tour of the buildings of Chicago", very worthwhile!

chicago1.jpg

This is a fun trip!

IMG_0398.JPG

That is the Renaissance, from Smith & Wollensky's from across the Chicago River, near Harry Carey's!  Great location!

cruisetraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I agree the best hotel is the Renaissance on Wacker, I have stayed there many times and was never disappointed. They usually have an upgrade available. The corner suite has a view of the river. I have not been back since the restaurant reopened (June or July 2013). I am making a reservation for the Labor Day holiday 2013. A word of advice, the Blackstone has very small rooms, you need to ask for an upgrade and reservations need to be made at the restaurant. I found that out when I tried to have dinner and there was no time available for me. Chicago has many great restaurants.

Well, appraisalplusservice@yahoo.com, I hope to confirm your impressions soon - we check in to the Renaissance on Monday!  (We're staying for a week on points....)

I hope you will have a great time at the  Renaissance on Wacker! . Here  are some items of interest ; I am not sure if you like plays, but ,"Book of Mormon" has rush tickets. Go to the web site," Broadwayinchicago.com" and then go to, Book of Mormom day of show drawing. These tickets are cash only, seats are first row and some obstructed view but for $25.00 each you can't go wrong. There are rules so please read them. I have  seen a few plays that way, also you can ask (if your name is drawn) for an aisle seat, sometimes they will give it to you. I have heard week nights are the best change of having your name drawn. Since I work during the week, I have only tried on the weekends for tickets.  Also Wednesday and Saturday nights there are Fireworks around 10:15 or 10:30pm,( go to Navypier.com,)

erc Platinum

Don't forget to take a glance at this. I often find one or two activities I was going to do in here.

All Events in Chicago | Goldstar

Have a good trip

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

SSindc,

We have stayed at the Magnificent Mile and the Renaissance on Wacker, and vote for the Renaissance. Everyone has given you great information Above.  I hope you have a wonderful time!

Lakeshore

marriottmemberfromla Platinum 51 Reviews

I'm staying at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile soon.  Hopefully, it will be a good stay.  I thought about JW Marriott, but it seemed to be more in the business area and not where I'm going to be spending most of my time.

The JW Marriot is in the business area. The Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile is a very busy hotel. A lot of people coming and going all the time. The  Renaissance on Wacker seems to have a quieter atmosphere. It all depends on what you like. If you like hustle and bustle the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile is the place to stay. I have stayed at both.

where is your business/personal need taking you? all of the hotels mentioned are in relative proximity, so not sure why one is better than another for you without more info. Glad to help as I go to Chicago 3X per month and have stayed in all of the properties mentioned many, many times

Thanks for offering help.  I'm going to several restaurants around Magnificent Mile (Tru, Spiaggia) and enjoy the walking (also Graham Elliot in River North...kind of in walking distance).  I've been to Chicago before and I am heading there for a personal trip and when I booked it, the Marriott was actually significantly less expensive than the Renaissance, the SpringHill Suites and even the new Fairfield Inn.

At the time I booked the Marriott, the JW Marriott had a similar room rate though probably not now.

from your dining venues, the Mariott on MM is well positioned but as many have sadi, the Renaissance on Wacker is really a great choice as it is just over the river from the MM area and is one of my favorite properties in Chicago. The JW isnt that much further, nor is the blackstone. The lounge at the Ren and JW are about equal in terms of offerings, so if you have a choice, I would go with the renaissance. Enjoy the restaurants, been to them and they are fab!

stelzer001 wrote:

from your dining venues, the Mariott on MM is well positioned but as many have sadi, the Renaissance on Wacker is really a great choice as it is just over the river from the MM area and is one of my favorite properties in Chicago. The JW isnt that much further, nor is the blackstone. The lounge at the Ren and JW are about equal in terms of offerings, so if you have a choice, I would go with the renaissance. Enjoy the restaurants, been to them and they are fab!

Ive only been at the Marriott 1 night, but I can tell that I would have enjoyed the Renaissance much more--I considered booking it after checking out their page, but it was an extra $90/night for 6 nights so I kept my original reservation.  I like Renaissance hotels and I will book here for my next stay.  I just stayed at one next to where the Patriots play (35 minutes outside of Boston) for all of 2 hours (plane got in really late), but it was very nice.

This Marriott is doing 1,000 points/day vs. weekend breakfast, but it worked out great--went to Rick Bayless' XOCO instead--great and not too expensive.

My vote also goes to the Renaissance as we've stayed there a few times and always find it excellent and close to great dining as well as Navy Pier and Millennium Park.

Well - Marriott Insiders colleagues, including erc and IAHFLYR and stelzer001and jerrycoin and appraisalplusservice@yahoo.comand lakeshore and bpotter - sorry if I missed anyone!!!  We're here at the Renaissance, and we're very (very) happy.  I've posted an initial review here: Terrific First Impression .... Very Happy

I'd be remiss, however, if I didn't again, say THANKS for all of the great advice.  This is a wonderful community!

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Fantastic! So glad to hear your update, and that all is going well. Good to hear you have a room with a view. It is so beautiful to look down and gaze at the river and the people, and at night it is lit up! You can also catch a boat to Navy Pier close by...think Jerry posted a photo. Have a blast...Chicago in the summer is so much fun(I used to dread it in the snowy, freezing winters...I am such a wimp! Lol!).

I am not sure how old your kids are, but I have boys that are 12, 10, and 4, and they love to watch Man vs. Food. When we went to San Antonio, we did a little Man Vs. Food tour, and  got to see a 62 inch pizza(HUGE, and not too bad on the taste buds), and a 3 1/2 lb cinnamon roll(it fed our family of 5 for two breakfasts!). We  had so much fun, and it is something we will always remember...crazy, goofy, filling fun! And then there is the JW San Antonio...awesome!

Anyway, you might want to check out the Man vs. Food for a fun lunch, or even dinner. I know he went to Gino's East For deep dish. Also Al's No. 1 for delicious but not fancy roast beef sandwiches. My mouth is watering! I used to walk quite a long way to get to Al's in the old days! Yum! But not fancy, I must stress that! Anyway, enjoy Chicago!

Having a blast in Chicago!!!!

Tonight - we splurged when I bought us tickets to the Cubs game - it was my son's first time at Wrigley - and we really enjoyed the Bullpen Box seats.  We were basically right on the field, and my son (modeling Bryce Harper's 2013 All Star jersey in the accompanying photo), spent the later part of the game chatting with the Brewers' bullpen catcher (and went home with two baseballs), so he was one happy boy!!!!

p.s. my mother-in-law enjoyed lunch in the Walnut Room on the 7th Floor of Macy's - quieter than Seven on State, and it felt like downtown department store dining from a bygone time....

20130730_203531.jpg

Looks like a wonderful time for all......did he get either of the baseballs signed?

Alas, IAHFLYR, the only signature last night was from the Brewers' bullpen coach (who was very  nice all evening) - it was a double header, so we couldn't get into the stadium early enough for autographs (and the players aren't supposed to sign during the 45 minutes before (or during) the game)...

Today, my son and I really enjoyed one of the (many, varied) Segway Tours - what a blast!

ssindc,

Excellent, glad to read all is going well just don't forget to visit Weber Grill and have some great food, it's about a 10 minute walk over the river.  There is also a thread on here about some fine Chicago dining spots and such, if I remember (and you know how my memory is ) it was stelzer001 who started it so maybe he has an idea where to find it.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

ssindc,

Glad to see you are having a great time in Chicago. I didn't get a chance to answer your original question before your trip but I would have said the Renaissance on Wacker as well. An awesome property! 

Agree with you! 

IAHFLYR!

bpotter Member 13 Reviews

We would always choose the Renaissance on Wacker.  The Blackstone is a great hotel location not so great.  The MM hotels is a good location, pretty touristy. 

Well, I'm back from a (great, fun, hugely entertaining) trip to Chicago.

As indicated in a prior post - I am really appreciative of all of the Insiders advice that led me to choose the Renaissance.  We had a terrific experience there. A couple of additional points:

• Yesterday afternoon I walked past the Blackstone.  It's a nice enough location, but it doesn't hold a candle to the superb Renaissance location.  (Having stayed at the Marriott on the Magnificent Mile previously, I'd say that it's a toss-up between the Marriott and the Renaissance in terms of walking around downtown, etc....  Also, the best views from the Marriott and the Renaissance are splendid, but I'll concede that I'm partial to the river views at the Renaissance.)
    • Kudos to the Renaissance for covering my breakfast - in style - over the weekend.  The breakfast coupons covered the (excellent) continental breakfast (for me and my wife), in the nice restaurant, The Great Street - as I indicated in my review, while I don't normally eat in the hotel restaurant for dinner, we chose to have dinner there and very much enjoyed the view and the food).  I paid for my son to (literally) pig out with the full buffet, but, frankly, at this point in my life, that's overkill.

Lots of photos posted here: Chicago ... A Photogenic Town...