59 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2013 12:27 PM by anadyr RSS

Wow!!!  We have changed from a travel site to a baseball story site???

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Who knew??? It sure deflects much of the Criticism that Marriott has been given recently. Now we get baseball stories but no improvements in the Marriott Elite Program for nearly a year and a major devaluation of points!!!! Go figure!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Wow!!!  We have changed from a travel site to a baseball discussion site???
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

At least we can all agree on baseball Jasper, travel--that's a whole different ball game.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Wow!!!  We have changed from a travel site to a baseball discussion site???

PS, I head that  Baseball is thinking of adding four outs per inning and four strikes to reflect demand for changes and to devalue the scoring.

jkernitzki Platinum 2 Reviews

All teams will be also required to change their colors to green & orange and offer identical menus as well. MLB Marketing stated it was because some 22-year old that had been to one game in their life thought it would be "cool". And as a cost saving measure, all water fountains are being removed as they found that "most people are drinking $8 beer, anyway".

erc Platinum
        Thanks a lot kernitzki, just when I was trying to bite my tongue and behave,  you had to rattle my cage, so that I couldn't resist anymore;

As a Nationals fan where  CNN Money: Nationals Have Most Expensive Beer Prices In Baseball reports about beer prices, and as a long time baseball nut who has seen baseball's version of the BOGO (doubleheader) depart, here's the latest trend which shows your post (meant to be cheeky, as you might say) sadly, isn't so far fetched:

Here's the headline from an article from yesterday's Wall St. Journal
        [Joel Schectman]

Major League Baseball franchises are taking a page from the airline industry  playbook, with a mobile app that allows their most loyal customers to upgrade  their seats during the middle of a game.

Whereas the article points out that this upgrade approach provides teams an opportunity to recognize their most 'loyal' customers with benefits, it also points out how upgrades will be sold also, as more and more move toward the famous/infamous dynamic pricing (important games and rivalries will cost more than 'regular' games).
        As many fans have noticed of late - the stadiums (especially Yankee) have closed off portions of seats, that not only can you not sit there in late inning, 30 degree, blowouts, but now you cannot even enter the area.

Our Marriott training has served us well. Look out America's Pastime, we are ready.
        And tying Insiders back to travel, but with our new found wide range of subjects (and with a nod of respect to the late Roger Ebert, yes, I know movies, not plays) here's erc tip/deal of the day:
        Great cozy room (pre-pay AAA is even better $139) standard rate ($169) at the New York Renaissance 57 for the Sunday before Thanksgiving (11/24). Catch the new play Kinky Boots (daughters took me and I have to say, pretty entertaining, catchy score by 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' Cyndi Lauper) and stay out late, so that you just dive into your double bed 200 sq.ft room (maybe because of your show, they'll upgrade you to a 'queen'  - ha ha).

erc Platinum

Yes, pre-game prices, which is one notch above a belt in the car in the parking lot. First pitch and the beer goes up 60%. Lerner is a learner, from Danny Snyder.

Yes, the park is super, great locale, team winning--perfect formula for pricing a captive audience's thirst for adult bevvies.

erc Platinum

Great craft beers at $100 per plate restaurants go for $6.

A plastic bottle Bud Light (sometimes cold) $8.

It's a great time for Nationals baseball (after back to back seasons of 59 wins, 69, and 80). Now, the price of success.

The way I read it, Marriott devaluation, and watering down of the Elite Status has gone by the wayside to Baseball!!! 

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I like it!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Jasper

This rush toward posting for points (points awarded for baseball stories) is reminiscent of a few years back when people were posting for the sake of posting.  People lost sight of the travel aspect of the community back then and are doing so again.  At least this time we are distracted by Baseball and not 'free breakfasts'.  Honestly, I've enjoyed some of the stories and have related them on some level.  Also have enjoyed hearing the names of some of our great Hall of Famers from a past era. 

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Some really great stories have been submitted thus far - it has been nice to reminisce with such personal stories and we'd like to welcome all of the new voices joining the conversation. More information and official rules are available - all Insiders may submit baseball your stories until April 14.

For anyone new to the community, check out our getting started guide to learn your way around and take a look at a few tutorials that may help you participate.

Or feel free to reach out to any of the five Insiders Stewards.

Andy, can you show us another list of the stories submitted thus far?

erc Platinum

Ouch. Is this the new Marriott?

Speaking for myself, I like Shoe and anadyr and no doubt many others, enjoy the fascinating stories, but I took (and agreed with) Jasper's point to be, they are somewhat drowning the travel stories of a travel forum making it harder to find specific travel write ups. Knowing that there is a link for those interested (like myself) in reading the stories and keeping the travel posts separate might have been IMO an effective way (with updates reminding us of the link, like yours above) to maintain the flow of travel stories.  But hey, it's your world and we're just living in it, so be it.

I disagree for the following reasons:  sitting in hundreds of Concierge Lounges over the years I had many, no hundreds of conversations  with fellow travelers who had fascinating lives and experiences to share, not all of which dealt with travel and hotel point earnings.  My point is that we're all guilty of being gregarious talkers (myself included). Marriott Insiders started this  with the 42 story thread, a thread which I think has great value.

erc Platinum

Before I respond, what is it you disagree with?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Yes, that seems to be the case!

More newcomers to the site than I can remember!

Hope they come back!

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

A (and I use A as an abbreviation for your new handle, and as a nod to recognize you were among the very first to lead the way ),

Early on, we tried to keep this as a travel-only post site, but soon found it was like hearding cats (yes, that's for you profchiara, and myself, and others who have cats and know how much luck we have with that).  I think this site has evolved into a site where people talk a good portion about travel, Marriott, and various other topics that seems to bond many of us together.  I have discovered many friends here that might not have become as good of friends, had it not been for the off-topic things we many times find ourselves discussing.  Hopefully the site will evolve to the point, and I do think it's making some progress, where people can search and find the topics they want to read and talk about, and are able to ignore the rest of the social things many of us enjoy from time to time.

I think that maybe Marriott really had this in mind for a replacement for many who don't like Facebook, but enjoy chatting with people about travel and whatever the talk drifts off into.  I think I have started to enjoy the site more, as I look at it in this way.  I hope others are too!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

The point that has been made is give it a separate link so all of us don't have to sort through posts that we are not interested in reading.  I have a limited amount of time and have to be selective on what I read.

madmax Gold 7 Reviews

point taken erc but...

Haven't there been posts lately regarding "old timers" on this site wanting more to participate? I think this particular discussion with all the responses from insiders I didn't know existed could lead to more posting their thoughts on travel. I personally was thinking when this discussion got so many hits that it was good for the community in more ways than one...to get more people involved in discussions and to learn alot about baseball. Looks like a win win situation to me. If anyone knows anything about getting around this site, I believe they will still find any travel information, hence your point above for asking to tag under 42story.

erc Platinum

Oh, I'm all for expanding the list of participants and even if I wasn't, it's Marriott forum and I would keep it to myself. My response above was to the 9:50 am response by the community manager to jasper - not the 9:58 am response to anadyr (who responded in a flash). To me, and perhaps I need my second cup of coffee, the CM's response didn't address the post (not that I expect Marriott to respond to any or certainly not all posts - but if they do respond, I expect it to be to the post).

I find topics by going to the Activity link and clicking. Having to scroll thru scores of ball stories, however interesting, have lead me to bypass a post I was actually intending to respond to (like yesterday's DC hotels near the mall), but I willingly did it and chalked it up to my 'knuckleheadedness'.  Once again, I only even brought it up as a response to the CM's 9:50 posting.  And now, for my coffee

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Speaking for myself, I like Shoe and anadyr and no doubt many others, enjoy the fascinating stories, but I took (and agreed with) Jasper's point to be, they are somewhat drowning the travel stories of a travel forum making it harder to find specific travel write ups.

Valid observation, especially if the activity feed is your go-to place for updates right in the midst of the contest and sweepstakes. The activity feed show a chronological list of activity from across the site. But those stories are limited to the "Other Topics" section, so if you're looking for non-baseball activity, you can click whichever topic and/or related category is of interest. For instance, "local attractions", "earning points or miles", etc.

peer-advice.jpg

erc Platinum

1) Thanks for the clarification and although I still think I would have trouble finding the DC Hotel closest to the Mall under topics, I'll defer because I'm such a technological chucklehead.  But I will say, as demonstrated by the continued reports of surprise by Rewards members over the cancellation  of the gift cheques, just because something's (like technique/tips) posted doesn't necessarily mean it's absorbed (or even followed).

2) madmax and anadyr since I really need to go, I'm going to have to depart, so any further lack of response by me, is not due to lack of interest (or being stymied). But what I was trying (apparently ineffectively) to get across was that:

A) like Fairfield, CY, Innovation Sparks, room design etc etc, I felt (again, but didn't mention it until CM's 9:50am post) that the 42nd stories could have their own segment, those of us who were interested would sign up and all of the "over the years I had many, no hundreds of conversations  with fellow travelers who had fascinating lives and experiences to share, not all of which dealt with travel and hotel point earnings" could have still taken place.

B) I was puzzled by the CM's response - to me it bypassed jasper's post (which it replied to) and essentially said (to me), "if it's bugging you TimeTraveler, here are some tips - get over it"  to be sure, an unusual attitude by Andy or whoever, but it caught me that way.   And now, for that coffee. Good night to one and all.

Agreed, but I think that we should all tag our posts with specifics so that a search will narrow the searching time. I have tried to do that but often forget.  It would be nice if MRI had a context sensitive tagger, one that sees certain words and then allows them to appear in the tags themselves.  Or a hotel tagger with a list along one side of a new post of each brand, one that you could check, or multiple brands.

Just an idea

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I tried this when the "new" site was being introduced and it is too time consuming.  As many have said, give baseball a separate link so we don't have to look through them.

Welcome to the new Marriott site where Baseball has overtaken travel...Oh for the good old days where travel was the main emphasis on this site!!!! Shoeman, don't let me down now....You were the big proponent in the past to keep this site as much travel related as possible, even though in the past I have regressed to posting non travel related items with criticism from some Insiders!!!

By the way, Take me out to the Ballgame!!!! One, two, three strikes you out of the old ball game..or is that the travel game???

Jasper

You are right, I am waffling.  I lost my father when I was 10 years old, but before he died,  he instilled a love of baseball that I still have today.  He knew some of the players and would take me to the downtown ymca in st louis where he, and they,. worked out.  My father died a week before my 11 birthday, but before that happened he bought a left-handed first basemans glove for me and go stan musial to autograph it.  For the record, I hardly ever took that glove off and totally wore it out.  By the way, I wished he would have given me a bat!  I couldn't hit worth a damn.......

Now that I have totally digressed, let me say that I agree with you in all regards except for the significants of baseball. 

Baseball been berry berry good to me, to quote Garrett Morris. On Saturday Night Live of year's gone by.

one of my favorite lines came from the movie MAJOR LEAGUE.  It was where the cleanup hitter saw one his teammates golf bag and was enamored with the club covers.He proceeded to 'borrow' them.  I recall him saying something like  " Ahhh, hats for bats".  That line , along with many other lines in the movie made me laugh til I cried....

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

To finish the sentence, "Football, I don't know."

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Used to go to a lot of Red Sox games when I lived in Boston, but so far away I have been unable to keep up.  But Pluto, "football I DO know!" (And still know baseball and hockey, though when the Montréal Expos lost -- or gave away -- their franchise, it hit home.  Those were the days.  I remember in the first years of that franchise sitting in Jarry Parc (before Olympic Stadium was built), which was like a large high school field, but all the better.  All the worse was the incessant rain.  I made my poor ex (not then) husband sit through the whole thing (there were about eight people left in the stadium till they called the game.

But I'm NFL all the way now that I live in the distant reaches of the US and can't go to games.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

Prof,

I do love football very much, but was just quoting that funny SNL piece.  I actually don't have any desire whatsoever to attend live NFL games.  It's so much more enjoyable to watch on the flat screen at home.  Also, the prices are ridiculous anymore (MLB as well) even for a halfway decent seat.  (It's the same with music venues; I know people who pay upwards of $250 to see the Stones or the Eagles.  For that price, we could buy every album and video they've ever produced and watch/listen to them anytime we want.  But I digress.)  Additionally, friends of ours went to a Niners game one or two seasons ago... the wife had to do some fast dance steps just to keep from being - barfed on by a drunk fan.  Seriously?  No thanks.  But now baseball... still super fun live even if hard to get to.  Sitting here watching STL and SF.  Let's see if Sandoval can come up with an RBI here... Go Panda!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

anadyr,

Good one!

Don't remember this, but it is very good!

Don't watch SNL anymore, but it was sure good in it's day!

a_bedard Gold

Some people have a thing for traveling from one baseball game & park to another.  I see the connection. 

• Re: Wow!!!  We have changed from a travel site to a baseball story site???
    lone6star Platinum 3 Reviews

Until earlier this week, I hadn't posted to this site in a while.  When I came back, I couldn't understand why all of these baseball stories until yesterday, I got a link from outside MRI for this 42 link.  Now i also contributed my story!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...