7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2013 8:01 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Lake Como, Italy (Lago di Como)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

IAHFLYR,

Thank-you for the wonderful pictures and sharing a great experience of visiting the Lake Como area.  Many have indicated this area and specifically, "The Bellagio", as "One of the most beautiful places on Earth"!  While I have been there a number of times, I have not stayed at any of the "Expensive hotels" in the area.  However, I would like to share some alternatives places to stay and see.  (Note: there are no Marriott properties in the area).

First of all, I would recommend having a car, if you are comfortable driving in Europe.  There is a lot to see in this area, and getting to Lake Como, can be very scenic!

FH060014.jpg

Scenes like this reflect the entire drive from St. Moritz to Lake Como!

I have always driven from Zurich, across the Alps, and one time, took the train from Zurich to St. Moritz.  From St. Moritz you can drive down the Alps on a fabulous drive to Italy.  The first major town you will encounter is Chiavenna, Italy.  Chiavenna, is a charming small town, you can walk thru, and it is NOT a tourist trap, but a place you can get a look at how Italians have lived for a long time.

The place I stay while in The Lake Como area is this place:

DSCN0123_0098.jpg

The Conradi, is a Best Western, and rates are very reasonable.  I had six straight Christmas Dinners here, and the price was under $30 total for two, with the best pasta I ever had, and a large carafe, of local wine.  You can walk thru town and enjoy inexpensive activity.

Lake Como is only about 10 miles away, and The Bellagio is a little further, but you can save a lot of money this way.  Likewise, it's fun to visit small cities like Lecco and Como as well.

You can get to this area from Milan by train, but I have never done that.  Lastly, I am sure you can take "Tours" from The Milan area as well.

If you have an experience in this area, would you share it with us?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Milan, Italy Marriott Hotels & Resorts Milan Marriott Hotel
St. Moritz, Switzerland
Lake Como, Italy
  • Re: Lake Como, Italy (Lago di Como)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerry,

Thanks for the kudos and for sharing your experiences in the Lake Como area.  I love the snow on the mountains something I wish to see first hand one day soon.

Driving as you mention is absolutely gorgeous, but driving in Italy is something else particularly along the tiny roads near the lake.  I will never forget the drive between Venice and Milan on the Autostrada, I had no idea how fast 180 KPH was until I got home and looked at my speedometer, WOW!

The small towns around the lake as you mention are great spots to find some Italian local shops, the best meats/cheese around and certainly worth getting on the ferry for an afternoon crisscrossing the lake.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

IH,

Wish I had more pictures!

Thanks for the follow-up!

So true about driving in smaller towns!  The streets can get very narrow and many times I would have to "Take a deep breath"!  You really have to be careful!

Please keep the posts coming!

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

jerry,

Driving the Amalfi Coast is about like taking a seat in the Indy 500 grandstand and before they start engines you're taken from the stand and put in the seat with the helmet and all.......take the green flag and enjoy the experience of winding roads and hairpin curves, the bus always wins!

I'll have to search out some pictures of Lake Maggorie, not like Como but still a great place to visit.

Here they come!!

IAHFLYR,

So well put!

I get a real kick out of how a "Little Old Lady in A VW", comes by me so fast!

She must be, like the Beach Boys say, "From Pasadena"!

Like you said, 185 kph!

Well you know you will be passed as if you are "Sitting still" at that "Low" speed!

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry sorry that was Kan and Dean, though they sounded like the BBs.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jan and Dean--typing too fast in my Maserati.

IAHFLYR,

Bring 'em on!

Can' get enough of them!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...